Chapter 6: Late Night Confessions

Dominion of Love

Feeling all eyes on her, Jiyeon slapped the ground in frustration at her own actions and got on her feet swiftly. Jiyeon knew that she had clearly jeopardised her chances becoming a lieutenant and a good part of her guessed that she might have implicated Hyomin as well. Just as she was thinking about how to salvage this embarrassing situation, an outstretched hand from Hyomin saved it. Jiyeon stared at that hand for a moment and but did not take it. With a frown etched into her face, the captain shook her arm, beckoning her to hold it, and the fallen combatant took it reluctantly. Taking her captain’s hand made her feel ashamed.

“Beat Yuri in an actual combat if you must but never turn your back against your real opponent, which is me. I cannot have you insult me in this way.”

The captain sounded stern and Jiyeon was befuddled by the captain’s words at first but when she grasped the captain’s intention and the respect it still held, it filled her heart with gratitude for the first time in her life. Not only had the captain let her off without blame but had also saved her grace in the most magnanimous way possible. Jiyeon then looked past that mask of frown on Hyomin’s face and saw the true comradeship beneath it.

“I will not let you suffer such insults again,” Jiyeon found herself saying and she felt a little weird but she was certain she meant those words.

That night Jiyeon laid in her bed tossing and turning. Her mind was in disarray, and she could not stop thinking about the pink-haired captain. Scenes of Hyomin standing by the oak tree sapling was often in her mind and Jiyeon soon figured out her routine for tending to the tree. It was on every 15th of the month. Instead of satisfying her curiosity, it bred even more questions for Jiyeon. Why oak tree? Why 15th? Why even plant it?!

The lieutenant-in-training cried out in frustration when she learnt that sleep would fail to come to her that night. Never had she felt something as close to loving someone as this. Orphaned at the age of three, Jiyeon was adopted by the organisation and had led a bloody life and even though she did not particularly like it, she had not particularly dislike it either. Things were just as they were for her and all she knew was to protect her herself, her men and above all, Thanatos, her home. That was why she had fallen prey to the leader of Black Mamba. Jessica had promised her all of those if Jiyeon promised to act according to her plans. She acted and she failed yet got herself a better place with the G7 forces. The ex-leader of Thanatos began to wonder why she had deserved all these.

She eventually decided that she simply could not turn in to bed with all these stray thoughts swimming in her mind and gave up trying. Jiyeon fastened an old cloak about her before venturing out of her room and down the corridors subconsciously arriving before Hyomin’s room door.

Jiyeon stood in front of the door contemplating if she should knock, but before she even arrived at a decision, the door to the room had opened and its occupant stood in its place.

The captain’s pink hair, though duller in the compounds and in the shade, was still beautiful in its loose braids. It was a first Jiyeon thought that the captain looked this feminine and with a hint of meekness in them. She is still a girl. Jiyeon found the corners of itching to turn up into a small smile but managed to restrain herself.

“How did you know that I was here?” Jiyeon asked straightforwardly, with no attempt conceal the awe she had for the captain’s senses.

“I didn’t specifically know that it was you. I heard a set of approaching footsteps but none that was leaving and so I knew someone was at my door. You cannot possibly be thinking of assassinating me in the middle of night, can you?” The captain’s eyes narrowed suspiciously, tauntily.

That joke finally cracked a chuckle from Jiyeon which she only became aware of when Hyomin had smiled at her. Self-consciousness before Hyomin’s presence crept into Jiyeon and she became more acutely alert of her own emotions. There was no doubt that she enjoyed being in the presence of the pink-haired captain so much so that even the mere thought of it could colour her cheeks pink.

Plain would be the word used to describe the captain’s room. Adorned with just a bed, a desk with a chair and a wardrobe, it did not look a least bit like a place one of the leading members in a large organisation would stay in.

Jiyeon was invited to sit on the captain’s bed. The guest hesitated a moment before accepting the invitation and shortly after, the captain herself took her spot on the bed. Too close! Jiyeon could not help but think that her host was too sitting too close to her and she automatically scooted nearer to the edge to make space between them. A pile of black cloth that laid at the corner of her bed caught Jiyeon’s interests.

Following her guest’s line of vision, the captain snatched up the cloth and flicked it open with a snap of her wrists. The jet black cloth unfolded itself to reveal a velvet cape, sparing Jiyeon from curiosity. “That is for you when you finally do become a leader.” The pink-haired captain then lifted the black cloak up for her night visitor to inspect.

Jiyeon’s mouth fell open and her heart lurched as her eyes beheld the was-to-be gift before her. The midnight black cape was inlaid with golden threads which shimmered in the dark. It was undoubtedly a piece of clothing that had subtle references to the god and personification of death, Thanatos, in Greek mythology.

“I know you don’t fully consider yourself a part of the G7 forces, probably never will,” there was a hint of regret in the captain’s voice and she sighed before continuing with a smile, “Thanatos was your home and so this shall remind you of home, or that was what I had wished. But I also wish that you would think of yourself as not only serving G7 but rather all of humanity and hence the gold inlay. I wish you could see the preciousness of all other people’s lives and not just those whom you knew.”

Hyomin had seen those tears that were beginning to form in Jiyeon’s eyes which made her wonder if she should stop speaking and right after she had finished her words, she saw Jiyeon make a dive towards her like as if her world was being played frame by frame, in slow motion. It was only later that she felt the dull throb in her chest where Jiyeon had crashed into and stayed. Jiyeon’s two strong arms wrapped around her so tightly, like a child fearing that she would lose her mother, or at least that was what it felt like to Hyomin. Stunned by Jiyeon’s sudden embrace, Hyomin froze in place.

“Stop being so nice to me. I will not be able to help myself from falling for you.” Jiyeon had spoken those words in one breath so quickly.

Words failed the captain. The shock from the revelation had almost made her forget how to breathe and she let the cape that was in her hands fall. However, there was still no need for Hyomin to say anything yet as more words spilled from Jiyeon.  

“I know you only see me as a troubled child who is to be tamed so I do not expect anything from you. I just hope that you would just know about my mounting feelings for you and treat as if tonight has never happened if you do not feel the same way for me.”

Those heartfelt words slipped out from Jiyeon’s mouth so quickly she did not even have enough time to feel embarrassed about them. She imagined how uneasy the captain must be feeling right then and pictured that look of chagrin on the captain’s face. Pressing herself more deeply into the one-sided embrace, she was determined to not look upon Hyomin’s face. Then, she felt a hand placed on her head and then it moved down so smoothly, her long hair. The confessor’s heart felt as though a thousand butterflies had exploded from it when the captain touched her that way.

“I have never noticed you have such long, beautiful brown locks. A surprise it has not withered even when you had been held in those dark, gloomy cells or might it have been even prettier before that?” Those words from the captain’s had sounded as gentle as a summer’s breeze, perhaps even gentler than that, and it was hard for anyone to not swoon over them. “Right now… my heart is not ready to accept a new love yet. I am grateful to you for having such feelings for me but with so many uncertainties lurking before me, I cannot make any promises to you.” There was undoubtedly sadness in Hyomin’s voice and that made Jiyeon feel sad. Why does Hyomin always put on a smile despite her sadness and what was she so upset about.

Jiyeon had better sense to wring those answers out from the captain right after she had confessed. “It is okay, I will wait. Even if there is nothing between us in the end, I can just stay by your side,” the girl knew not where the courage that made her say all of these came from but she was happy she conveyed it.

Hyomin gave no reply. Perhaps the captain had not known what to say or had simply accepted Jiyeon’s terms and the confessor genuinely wished it was the latter.

That night Jiyeon stayed in the captain’s room and learnt most of Hyomin’s past and more importantly, the person whom the captain had held dear to her heart all these while. Her name was Sunny. That was also the first time Jiyeon had saw traces of tears in those beautiful brown orbs of Hyomin’s. That also gave Jiyeon answers to the many questions she used to have and she looked down to the captain’s wrist where her bracelet was.

Sunny, you are such a lucky person.

**

“Who is Hyomin?” The Black Mamba asked as she paced before her experimental subject, brandishing her whip.

“No one.” S301 replied coldly.

Jessica lashed out her whip, and the tail of the weapon sliced into S301’s face. “Wrong! She is your enemy.”

“She is my enemy. Hyomin is my enemy.” S301 repeated those words, her voice chillier than her own heart, if she even had one.

The warrior S301 knew that she had amused her lady when she heard the familiar shrilly laughter.

Hyomin is my enemy. I must remember that.

**

Nights passed and Jiyeon paid visits to Hyomin’s room so often that the members had begun to take notice of it. Amongst them, some of the members which undoubtedly included Hyoyeon would tease them every now and then.

That day, all the main members of the G7 forces, Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyomin were all gathered in their largest training room to watch the progress of their would-be lieutenants.

Jiyeon, who had her black cape fastened about her was the best performer for that day, impressing the G7 members. Once, she had unarmed three of her male combatants so masterfully that she had earned the claps of all others who were watching. The members had also realized that the former leader of Thanatos had learnt to become more respectful in their presence and when Hyomin paid her compliments, her cheeks had flushed red almost in an instant.

After the lieutenant-in-training had gone and resumed with her training, that was when Hyoyeon decided to throw in another jape.

“Hey pinky, you’re sleeping with this lieutenant aren’t you?”

Hyomin’s brows drew together so closely in an instant and her head snapped in the direction of the joker. Hyoyeon’s jokes always made it hard for Hyomin to respond but she decided to just try her best. “We just sleep, that is all. She is a valuable companion to me.”

“You know, this is like the early stages of a relationship. Taeyeon and Tiffany were like that last time,” Hyoyeon had threw in that information so quickly that she had forgotten the consequence of those words and later squeezed her eyes so tightly shut, rebuking herself.

When Hyoyeon had dared open her eyes very much later, she found her members staring at her disapprovingly and saw Tiffany wheeling away for the exit, Taeyeon in her toll. 

“Hyoyeon…” Yoona started exasperatedly.

“Yes, I know I know. I need to guard this mouth of mine.” The embarrassed girl slapped repeatedly to show repentance.

**

The awkward atmosphere lingered amidst the members of G7 for the weeks to come. Their leader, Taeyeon, seemed to have occupied herself with more of the preparatory works for the assaults on Black Mamba. Often times, she would be with the captains, Yuri and Hyomin, and the new lieutenants of the siege team. 

Taeyeon felt rejuvenated whenever she was involved in the planning and she recalled that she used to be the one who was leading such discussions with Tiffany by her side either supporting or rebutting her proposals. She smiled when Yuri and Hyomin did the same for each other and sometimes caught the look of jealousy on the newly-made lieutenant, Jiyeon’s face. Taeyeon thought that she must look like that too especially when someone had gotten too close to Tiffany. Yet… Tiffany now avoids me.

The leader gave out a sudden sigh as she thought about how Tiffany had wheeled herself out of the room so quickly when Hyoyeon had japed at the training room that day.

The researcher was said to have buried herself deeper in work so much so that even the hardworking Seohyun could not help but complain about the additional time they had to put into labwork.

For that, Taeyeon relieved both researchers from surveillance duty and entrusted those tasks to the new lieutenants instead. At least Jiyeon seemed pleased when she had her pink-haired captain as her partner during those duties.

Taeyeon had distracted herself with so much thoughts that she had lost her trail on the discussion and snapped back to attention when Yuri and Hyomin seemed to have gotten into a minor disagreement about certain plans.

The pink-haired captain turned to seek Taeyeon for her opinion which threw the leader off guard. “I propose to mobilise Tiffany for the siege mission.”

Taeyeon nodded absentmindedly and when she allowed those words to sink into her mind, she almost flew into a rage. “What?! No!”

“Look, even the leader thinks so too. Hyomin, I think you should drop that idea.” Yuri added in, observing both Taeyeon and Hyomin’s actions carefully as if fearful of a fight breaking out between the two.  

Hyomin grimaced and attempted to calm the leader down as she gave her reasons. “Tiffany knows that control room better than anyone do.” She paused and gave a knowing look to Taeyeon before continuing. “Besides, we need Seohyun in the G7 compound to coordinate our attacks from headquarters.”

Taeyeon pretended to ponder over her reasons for a moment but no matter how rationale the pink-haired captain’s reasons were, she was already set on rejecting the idea. The leader knew she was selfish for wanting to keep Tiffany from harm’s way but she could not help it. “No, Hyomin. We could have Seohyun infiltrating Black Mamba with us while Tiffany coordinate our attacks from headquarters.”

Hyomin shook her head and when she sighed, Taeyeon could see the disappointment in the captain’s eyes. I’m sorry Hyomin. I cannot relent on this, especially not after what you have revealed to me that night.   

**

A/N:

Hiya guys! I am back with another update!

First off! Pokemon Go is finally released in my country woohoo!! xD

Now back to business, well… Jiyeon has finally confessed in that extremely long scene. MinYeon… to be or not to be? Well I'm saying this since... Hyomin did not give a clear answer in her reply... and so... :) thoughts anyone? :P 

And that awkward MinYeon, TaeNy scene. Sighs… TaeNy sounds a little draggy here I know… but I hope you guys understand that it is because they have such a long history with each other ><

And this is more than halfway through the fiction! /coughs/ plus plus I just received my poster woohoo! It is damn pretty all right. All credits to pastiche- from Antidote Graphics, for more info about the shop, look at foreword

Last but not least! Chantelle has also drawn a very nice TaeNy picture. The scene whereby Taeyeon went to visit Tiffany in the late of night to do you-know-what in the previous chapter (used as chapter banner for chapter 5) /wiggles brows/ xD

Thank you both pastiche- and Chantelle XD and all the subs, upvotes and comments <3