Accept

Island Kingdom (Roleplaying story)

“Accept…”   

“If it is his majesty’s will, I will stay the night.”

“Cassandra… there’s no one around. Do call me by my name. Like you once used to.”

Old memories took me back to a different time as I closed my eyes. Hesitatingly, I whispered his name.

“… Yifan.”

Before I knew it, I was in his embrace. His arms warm and safe yet they filled me with an overwhelming sense of regret.

“I’ve missed you… So much. Cassandra I…”

“Please don’t.”

I shook myself loose from his grip and moved away from him.

“Perhaps it would be better if I didn’t stay. Your majesty, three years ago you sent for me. What is this mission that only I can fulfil?”

I tried my best to ignore the hurt I saw in his eyes but I knew it was for the best… For the both of us.   

“Very well. As you know this kingdom is connected to the mainland by three crystal bridges. It has allowed us to trade with the neighbouring kingdoms but now they are used by our enemy to infiltrate the land.”

Realisation slowly started to dawn on me.

“You want me to destroy the bridges?”

“Yes.”

“How? They are indestructible!”

“From man made material yes. But not from magic. The bridges were created from ancient magic and by magic they can be undone!”

“But… They are guarded by enemy camps. How would I hold my own against all of them and still be able to destroy the bridges?”

“You won’t be on your own. Bring in the warriors!”

Despaired I turned my gaze at the seven men who entered the throne-room. Young, handsome men, each with a different weapon at their disposal.

“You are to choose two warriors to you. Two might not sound like much but I can assure you that just one of my warriors equals that of ten men. Joonmyun!”

A kind-faced man started to approach us and before long he stood by the king’s side.

“This is my adviser and friend, Kim Joonmyun. He will help you decide.”

The man turned to me and gently smiled. He somehow seemed too young to be the king’s adviser and yet his eyes seemed that of an old man, full of experience.

“Cassandra, I know you know the importance of this mission. If the enemy were to attain information of this mission they will only increase in numbers. Once the first bridge is down, you must hurry. You must not fail me now. You are my… This kingdom’s only hope. Understand?

“I-I… I understand.”

“Good. Now choose. And Cassandra?”

The king leaned closer, whispering for only me to hear.

“… Be careful.”

 

Pick Your Warriors - Go to chapter 4