Island Kingdom

Island Kingdom (Roleplaying story)

War had been commonplace for the past three years with no sight of ever ending. The people were starting to lose faith, hope. Food was sparse and lives were wasted every day.
It broke my heart to see this once beautiful kingdom fall and I could no longer stand idly by. I had tried my hardest to stay out of everything, minded my own business but no more. I had to do something. After all these years, I had to break my promise to myself and once again… use magic.
I am a sorcerer although I long ago put away the title to run a small eatery but since war broke out I lost the shop to rebels and had to fend for myself otherwise.
With a heavy heart, I managed to uncover my staff from an old hideout and went on to find the man I had spent all this time hiding from, the king, himself.

 

“Seize her!”

As soon as I entered the castle the guards apprehended me and cuffed me. Had this been before… That incident, I would have struck each and every one with magic and let myself through. Now, I let them take my staff, I let them manhandle me all the way to the throne-room.

“Your majesty! We have finally captured the sorcerer!”

The king, once a handsome man now looked old and weary from the passing of time but his eyes… His eyes were the same, sparkling green just like the many beech trees surrounding the island and a deep guilt washed over my body

“Cassandra?”

For a moment I saw surprise in his eyes but it was quick to vanish.

“So you finally show yourself to me. After all this time.”

“My king, I am here to… swear my allegiance to you. I can no longer watch from the side-line while our, your kingdom is being destroyed. Please accept my life as yours and I will do whatever is in my power to end this dreadful war.”

I bowed for what felt like hours. The king stayed silent but I could feel his eyes piercing right through me.

“Where was this loyalty three years ago?”

“I apologise… I was…”

“NOWHERE TO BE FOUND! I called on you, so many times and yet you never showed!”

“I am sorry. I was merely following your orders… As you remember, you told me to…”

“Cassandra…”

I looked up to meet his pleading eyes. The way he had whispered my name filled me with nostalgic memories I had tried to forget but to no avail.

“Your majesty?”

“… I shall accept.”

“Thank you, your majesty. What can I do?”

 The king took a deep breath.

“Un-cuff the sorcerer and leave us. Every one.”

Hesitating, the guards freed me and gave me back my staff, bowed to the king and took their leave along with the servants. When we found ourselves completely alone, the king descended from his throne and came to a halt right in front of me.

 “You haven't changed at all. How have you been?”

The king reached out his hand to touch my cheek but in my shock, I took a step backwards. Dejectedly he let his hand fall with a hurt expression on his face.

“Forgive me.”

“It is me who needs forgiveness, your majesty.”

“No. no. Cassandra… It has been so long since we… You must be tired. You will need your strength for what’s coming. Please, won’t you stay the night?  

 

"Refuse" - Go to chapter 2

"Accept" - Go to chapter 3