Refuse

Island Kingdom (Roleplaying story)

“Refuse…”

“Your majesty… I thank you for your concern but war is upon us. The longer we postpone this, the longer the enemy has to conquer your land. Please. Three years ago you sent for me with a mission. Tell me what you need me for.”

The king sighed but he understood that I was right. Ending the war came before personal issues.

“What do you know of the crystal bridges?”

“Crystal bridges? Well, there are three in total. They connect us to the mainland so that we may trade with our neighbouring countries…”

“And they are the only way to cross into my kingdom.”

Slowly, I started to understand the content of my mission.

“The bridges…”

“You want me to destroy them.”

“Yes.”

“That is impossible.”

“What has been created from magic can be destroyed by magic. I know you can do it.”

“But still, even if I were able to, the bridges are covered by enemy camps. There is no way I’ll be able to hold of an army and destroy the bridges on the same time.”

“I know. Which is why I will have two of my best warriors you on your way. Bring them in!”

At the king’s request 7 men entered the throne room. All of them clad in armour except for one who was approaching the king with determined steps.

“Your majesty.”

“Cassandra, this is my adviser and close friend, Kim Joonmyun.”

The man gave me a bow. His face was kind and his eyes gentle. He seemed like a person who had never experienced war before and yet somehow exuded a strict authority.

“These men you see before you are the bravest and most skilled warriors in the entire kingdom. I want you to pick two of them to accompany you on your journey.”

I examined the warriors in front of me. All looked capable and all carried a different weapon. How was I supposed to choose?

“My king, why only allow me two escorts? Would the success rate of this mission not be greater if I were to bring more men?”

“That is out of the question. This mission is meant to be of stealth. If you travel a hundred man toward the bridges the enemy will only bring more warriors. No, This needs to be kept secret. And it needs to be done quick. Three people travelling will raise no suspicion while a bigger group of people most certainly will.”

“But sire…”

“Enough! You will do as you are told. You swore your allegiance to me, fulfil it! Now pick your companions and Cassandra, choose wisely.”  

 

Pick your warriors - Go to chapter 4