#0҉8҉

2+2=Fish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What I want you to do is eat one of these," Youngjae said as he pulled the thin plastic covering from over the package of algae sheets. He offered the package to Jaebum who took it in his hands and dipped the tip of his tongue over the surface without a passing thought.

"Hey, this tastes like what I would normally eat back home."

"Correct. I realized last night that your body wasn't accepting the food I gave you because it probably didn't have a buffer to help you digest it. Considering algae was a staple food from your diet as a fish, chances are it's the answer we're looking for."

"So you think this'll help?" 

"It should."

"Because I want to taste your omelet again without having to throw it up." 

Youngjae returned the cannister of fish flakes in his hand to its original place. "Just hurry up and eat it." He turned to Jaebum who was already intensely munching on one of the thin sheets. 

"There's nothing much else we have to do here, so let's go." Youngjae grabbed every package of algae sheets that were strung against the racks and stacked on the counters.

"Why so many?" 

"It's more convenient this way. In case I don't find a store in town that carries fish supplies, we'll have stocked up on enough to last you at  least a couple of weeks." Youngjae decided to add on a cylindrical tube of vitamins to the pile.

Jaebum tried to take some of the packages from Youngjae's arms but Youngjae pulled back, shaking his head. "I've got it."

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes."

Jaebum smiled. He was enjoying Youngjae's response when a tidal wave of pain shot through his stomach. He wrapped his arm around his waist and forced himself to stay as still as possible. The room stilled and a bead of perspiration broke out on his back.

He let out a gust of air through his parted lips as the pain receded. It left behind a numb, drumming sensation of what it had once been. Regaining his posture, Jaebum took a tentative step forward. Confident that the pain was a one-time thing, he smiled and continued his stride towards Youngjae who was nearing the end of the aisle. But the pain returned with newfound intensity as he stepped up behind Youngjae. 

Jaebum stumbled to the side, a moan threatening to spill free from between his gritted teeth. He shot one hand out to steady himself but couldn't get a solid grip on the shelf and in turn, crumpled to the floor.

Youngjae hurried over to Jaebum's side and dropped to one knee. "Are you alright?" Worry creased the space between his eyebrows. 

"I'll be okay. Give me a few." Jaebum looked up and smiled. He tried to relax his twisted expression, much to Youngjae's distaste. Jaebum didn't need to hide the pain he felt.

Youngjae felt his heart constrict. The memories of his mother telling him much of the same thing cycled through his mind. Her affirmations- her desire to 'keep him safe'- had always come to naught. 

Youngjae didn't need protection. He wanted the truth. He needed to be trusted. Trusted that he could handle whatever came his way. Trusted that protecting him was worse off then confiding in him. He was tired of being sheltered from the truth, however cruel it may be. He would not have the same type of relationship ever again.

"If it hurts, it hurts. Don't lie about things like this. You've done it twice already."

Jaebum's jaw relaxed. The pain was beginning to trickle away. He leaned against the shelf. "I'd like to think I'm keeping the truth from you." 

"Well, don't."

"If you promise me one thing."

"Which is?" 

"You'll never not smile because of me."

Youngjae took a deep breath in. He wasn't willing to draw out this conversation so he gave the one answer that would end the discussion. 

"Okay." 

Jaebum mouthed the words "I promise" and Youngjae followed along half-heartedly. It seemed silly to be promising something like this. 

He started to stand when Jaebum raised his arm; the pinky on his hand standing proud and tall amongst the other curled over fingers.

"You have to promise this way, too."

"Jaebum, we are not kids anymore." 

Jaebum paid his comment no attention. He moved his eyes back and forth between his pinky and Youngjae. 

"Fine." Youngjae stuck out the hand he managed to pull free from around the pile in his arms. Jaebum closed the gap between their fingers and in the matter of a single heartbeat, Youngjae felt a jot of joy bloom in the center of his chest. The feeling felt foreign to him. How long ago had it been since he shared in an action as simple as this? But the realization that this was pointless consumed all other thoughts. The joy spiraled away. 

"You can't go back on your word now," Jaebum said, a lopsided grin having replaced his pained expression. 

Youngjae stood. "Better now? Let's hurry home so you can get some rest." 

"Okay." 

On their way to the counter, Youngjae heard a familiar noise that he chose to ignore. Jaebum, on the other hand, set out in search of whatever had produced that melodic sound. Youngjae sighed and followed him to where a row of glass cubicles took up residence in the store's alcove. 

The alcove was brightly lit and despite Youngjae's abhorrence towards selling animals, had to congratulate the store for keeping the dogs well-fed and groomed. If not sleeping, they were running around or attacking their toys. Most were but pups. Youngjae's heart fluttered at the sight. 

Against his better judgement, he let his eyes survey the cubicles in search of the one thing he shouldn't have been expecting, much less looking for. He found it in the cubicle second from the wall. A pup with mocha-colored hair and ears that appeared to droop down way below its tiny face. Its beady eyes were nearly obscured from the puffs of hair that surrounded its cheeks on either side.

Youngjae's mouth went dry and his heart clenched from the memory of what was once his but he maintained his calm expression as he took a seat on the cushioned bench facing the cubicles. He was reading over the nutritional label on the package closest to his face when Jaebum's voice broke through his concentration.

"This one," he said. 

Youngjae looked up to see Jaebum stooped next to the cubicle he wanted to avert his eyes from the most. He had his palm pressed against the glass and was rhythmically tapping his fingers against the smooth surface. The dog inside leapt up to meet Jaebum's hand. It caught itself in an upright position for a moment before ultimately losing its footing and tumbling backwards.

"Can we take him home?" 

It got back up again and the largest hole set within the design of a paw print, its tongue barely sliding over Jaebum's skin. It fell back once more onto the plush blanket surrounding its temporary home. 

Jaebum threw his head back, a burst of laughter exploding through his parted lips. 

Youngjae was glad the pain had receded but couldn't very well relax until he made certain that it wouldn't return. "Having a dog is a lot of hard work and responsibility."

Jaebum pressed a finger to the glass. The dog barked, its tail becoming a blur of brown as it tore through its energy. "Have you ever had a dog before?" 

"I did. Her name was Coco." 

Jaebum's smile faltered. "How come she's not home anymore?"

Jaebum's innocent question was tainted with the sorrow from Youngjae's past. A much younger Youngjae had always believed the pockets of joy he could acquire would be his to keep forever. He was ridiculously naive to have thought so. Fairytales were the fabrication of someone's mind; not a way of life. 

"She died right after my college entrance exams."

"What happened?" 

Youngjae wanted to stomp the memory out but with Jaebum looking at him the way only he did, Youngjae couldn't help but give in to the growing trickle of sadness within.

"She had a cancerous tumor in her lower abdomen."

"Cancer is... It's a terrible thing."

Youngjae tilted his head to the side and closed his eyes for a second longer to be considered a blink. "Although, that's not what killed her." He took a moment to his dry lips. "She was run over by a car." Youngjae choked on the lump of saliva caught in his throat. 

She would have died anyways. Maybe this was the world showing me mercy. He shot to his feet and headed for the counter without another word. The realistic side to Youngjae was always quick to push his emotions aside and for that, he was immensely grateful. 

 

"Come on," Youngjae said as they moved towards the other half of the mall. They climbed the steps up to the fifth floor. On

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter