Let's Not Fall In Love

Can You Hear Me?

Junhong tried his best to make himself comfortable in Yongguk's apartment but it was proving to be quite difficult. Yongguk was moving around the kitchen, making them tea and getting together little snacks.

He knew he was being unfair to his neighbour. Yongguk was genuinely working hard to be his friend yet he was so on and off all of the time, he liked to think it was because of something else but he knew it was his fault.

Junhong brings his attention back over to Yongguk who is meticulously pouring hot water into a pair of mugs and he buries the urge to smile at him. He wonders how exactly Yongguk will describe music to him.

Yongguk walks over to the living room with a tray holding the tea and cookies in his hands and he settles them down onto the coffee table. He gestures for Junhong to have some and sits a good distance away from his neighbour.

"I guess I'll start with what I consider to be the foundation of music." Yongguk mumbles and Junhong has a tough time reading his words but he gets the gist of what he said anyways.

Yongguk pauses and walks towards Junhong, he then leans over him and picks up the small speaker on the table beside him. Junhong's eyes widen as the elder's cologne washes over him and he squirms uncomfortably.

"Sorry." Yongguk apologizes before he sits down closer. crossing his legs as he fiddles with his phone and the speaker. Once the speaker lights up, Yongguk settles it down in the nook of his crossed legs.

"A beat, is steady. It remains constant and it helps determine the tempo of the song. It keeps the music alive." Yongguk explains as he begins a steady pounding on the table.

Junhong watches curiously as the elder brings his fist down on the wood in intervals, he takes a few seconds between each one and Junhong nods to show that he understands.

"Of course it depends on the tempo of the song but for now, feel this." Yongguk holds out the small speaker in front of him and Junhong shyly covers the mesh like cover with his fingertips.

He can feel small beats beneath the pads of his fingers and he lifts his fingers, imitating Yongguk's previous action as he slowly taps the speaker in tune with the beats he feels. The grin on Yongguk's face makes him feel like he has the whole world in his hands.

"Along with the beat, comes the tempo and rhythm. The tempo is how fast or slow the song is, the beat determines tempo. Rhythm is what people remember, it's the part of a song that gets stuck in your head all day." Yongguk purses his lips as though he's dissatisfied with his own explanation.

"Okay let me put it this way. Is it alright if I touch you?" Yongguk places the speaker down on the table and he faces Junhong seriously, he then gently waits for a nod before he holds Junhong's hands.

"The beat, is your heart. It keeps you alive and it determines how fast your blood flows, your blood being the tempo. Rhythm is how it makes you feel, when your heart beats fast you're excited, scared or happy. When your heart beats slow, you feel tired or sad. Music is the same." Yongguk's fingers lightly trace shapes onto the palm of Junhong's hand. 

Junhong carefully takes hold of Yongguk's hand and he begins drawing his own shapes there, his lips mouthing what Yongguk had explained to him as he looks over slender fingers.

"It's hard to understand." Junhong mouths clearly for Yongguk to catch what he says. He can generally understand Yongguk's explanation but it's hard for him to truly understand.

"It's okay Junhong. You'll come to understand in your own way, even if it's not the same as mine. Because music relies solely on the person, music will mean something different to you and something different to me." Yongguk smiles at him and Junhong's heart jumps.

"Would you like some more tea?" Yongguk asks as he removes his hands from Junhong and he takes their mugs back to the kitchen. Junhong watches the way Yongguk moves and he feels warm.

He envies the person who manages to capture Yongguk's heart. The man was so patient and understanding, it was rare to find someone like him. He hopes that when Yongguk falls in love, it is someone who can understand his passion.

Unlike himself.

 

Let's Not Fall In Love - Big Bang

 

--------------------------------

A/N

Merry Christmas Eve/ Christmas! <3 

Explaining music is so hard LOL I kind of just personally described it as best as I could

Also, I'm not a musician (I can play like guitar and piano blindly) but I ain't no professional so I have no knowledge of the dynamics xD

I feel bad since Yongguk should be really knowledgable on the topic since he's a composer

But take it as him simplifying things so Junhong can understand?

Have a happy and safe holidays everyone~ ^^ I have up to Chapter 13 planned, so hopefully I can update more often (I said this last time too LOL)

- Airi