Chap 17

3 Steps to Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong says: The perfect Christmas is the one I spend with you.

Hyejeong strode into Seolhyun’s apartment but couldn’t seem to stop moving, from door to window and back again. Seolhyun wished she dared to throw her arms around the taller girl to  halt the frantic pacing.

“Why wouldn’t you agree to at least meet Joong Ki?” Anger seemed to radiate from the matchmaker.

“Hyejeong, you know why. I’m in love with you.”

Hyejeong's eyes slammed shut and she clenched her jaw. “I don’t want your love.”

“So you said.”

That didn’t change the way she felt, though.

“What harm would it have done to meet Joong Ki?”

“None, I guess,” Seolhyun said with a shrug. “But I felt it would've been rude.”

It was as though Hyejeong hadn’t heard her. “In other words, despite your claims that you’re willing to move on with your life, you refuse to do so,” she challenged.

Seolhyun sat on her sofa while Hyejeong continued pacing. She tracked the movements with her eyes. “Don’t worry. I’ll date other people—when I’m ready.”

Hyejeong whirled around and glared at her. Seolhyun felt it was her turn to pose a few questions. “Why are you fighting this?” she asked, looking up at the blonde. “And…why are you here at all?”

“I had to talk to you about Joong Ki.” Hyejeong shook her head. “Don’t you realize being with me would be a disaster?”

“Really?” It didn’t escape Seolhyun's notice that Hyejeong hadn’t denied anything—and that she had even brought up dating. Evidently the subject had been on her mind, which was encouraging. “Why’s that?”

Hyejeong abruptly stood still. “I guess I’m not telling you anything you don’t know. I’m not…comfortable with emotions on a personal level. I prefer to look over and guide other people’s emotional lives. I have a hard time admitting this, but I’ve always steered clear of the intensity, the giving up of control….” She sounded so unlike the confident, self-assured woman Seolhyun had come to know, and her vulnerability made her even more appealing.

“I hate this confusion,” Hyejeong muttered. “I’m good at helping my clients sort through their feelings, good at writing about them—but not good at experiencing them. It makes me…miserable.”

“I’ve been pretty miserable myself,” Seolhyun said.

“Then we should both find ways of dealing with these emotions because I’m not changing my mind.”

“So you said.”

“I mean it, Seolhyun.”

She wasn’t going to argue. “Yes, I know.”

Hyejeong stared, her perfect eyebrows raised. “Don’t be so nice. I’m not used to it, and I don’t know how to react when you’re agreeing to everything I say.”

Seolhyun nodded.

“See? That’s what I mean.” Hyejeong pointed accusingly at her. “Listen. I know what kind of person makes a good spouse—and I’m not it.”

Seolhyun had to smile. “That’s something I don’t agree with. You’ve shown me truths about myself. Let me do the same for you.”

Hyejeong shook her head as if that possibility was beyond her. Seolhyun wasn’t about to let Hyejeong assume she was incapable of love when she knew otherwise. She stood and walked purposefully toward the psychologist.  Hyejeong was still pacing, so Seolhyun caught her hand. Her fingers curled around Hyejeong's and she turned back to stare at Seolhyun.

 Not giving her a chance to object, Seolhyun leaned forward and placed on Hyejeong's. Hyejeong slipped one hand around the back of the other girl's head and kissed her with a hunger that thrilled her. “We’ll start with teaching you to accept my love,” Seolhyun whispered when Hyejeong broke off the lengthy kiss.

Again Hyejeong briefly closed his eyes. “Love is one thing,” she muttered. “But you want children. I don’t know about children except in theory. I’m not good with them,” she said. “They cry and make messes in thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter