Chap 14

3 Steps to Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong says: A good matchmaker stays in the background, just like Santa’s little helper, then swoops in at the right moment.

Seolhyun couldn’t swallow a single bite as she carefully studied her guests enjoying their food with all the dishes. Every time she saw a forkful of food heading toward someone’s mouth she had to restrain herself from leaping to her feet and yanking it away.

Hyejeong revealed no such concern. Chanmi had her engaged in a lengthy conversation. Judging by the attention she paid the girl, anyone would think she was the wittiest, prettiest person on the face of the earth. Every once in a while, the younger girl released a laugh that sounded like a small shriek.

"Mighty fine dinner,” Yoongi told Seolhyun, eyeing her with far more appreciation than his meal.

“Thank you.” She quickly looked away and offered Youkyung more vegetables. More fish. More anything.

“Do you always cook like this?” Youkyung asked. Before she could answer, she continued. “You probably have plenty of leftovers. Should't let that go to waste.”

“That’d be a shame,” Yoongi threw in. “I’d be happy to come over and help you finish them a few times a week.”

Seolhyun felt it was important to set him straight right away. “Since I work and there’s only me to cook for, I generally don’t go to this much trouble.” Generally—like never! If Yoongi had ever tasted her cooking before today, he would have run for the hills.

"Seolhyun,” Chanmi said in the same excited voice she’d used since meeting Hyejeong. “It’s been such a long time since I had fish. Does yours always have these lumps in it?” Seolhyun stiffened her shoulders at the frightening thought that the ring might have slipped into the dish.

Then she realized her neighbor was teasing her fish cooking skills, although she wasn’t sure why. Her fish was cooked perfectly, and if there were any lumps, which there weren’t, it was a fluke.

“No, I added them for your benefit,” she answered in an sweet voice. Hyejeong’s gaze narrowed.

“Oh.” Chanmi blinked as if gauging whether or not to be offended.

“I’m joking, Chanmi,” Seolhyun said, feeling slightly guilty. “I'm sorry if there are any lumps in the food.”

“You can put lumps in my food anytime you want,” Yoongi told her. He winked at her, then wiggled his eyebrows. Gross! The boy was cute but not at all her type and he couldn't take a hint.

“I believe I’ll have some more of that meat,” Hyejeong said.

Seolhyun sprang from her chair and grabbed hold of the bowl. “I was going to take it back to the kitchen.”  Seolhyun looked helplessly at Hyejeong, who gently pried the bowl from her hands. “I’m not sure there’s enough.”

“There’s plenty for everyone,” Hyejeong said and took a huge piece before passing it across the table to Youkyung. “Let me hand it around.”

“Doesn’t anyone want to save room for dessert?” Seolhyun asked brightly. She described the cake, highlighting the fine qualities of the strawberries and sugar infused cream.

“I don’t know if I should,” Chanmi laughed. “I have to watch my weight.” She paused, gazing around as if waiting for someone to tell her she needn’t worry about such things.

Seolhyun volunteered in the hope that if her neighbor accepted the cake, she’d skip the rest of the food, which, to her horror, was being passed around the table. “What? Chanmi, you have a very good figure.”

“Pleasingly plump,” Yoongi seconded.

The smile faded from the other girl's face. “Plump?”

“Pleasingly plump,” Seolhyun said. “That’s another way of saying—”

“I’m fat,” Chanmi cut in, frowning now.

 “Plump is plump, no matter how you try to fancy it up.”

“Leave it to you to insult me, Youkyung,” she snapped.

“You always had a short temper and whined a lot,” Youkyung snapped back. “Someone makes a simple comment and you jump all over them and ruin a perfectly fine friendship.”

“Ah…” Seolhyun raised her index finger, trying to get a comment in before the confrontation broke into a full-fledged argument.

“I don’t know how anyone could ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter