Goodbye Zico :D (Chap 12)

3 Steps to Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong says: The perfect match lights a lasting fire.

Seolhyun peered over every cookbook she owned. They were all full of wonderful recipes. Even more encouraging, the instructions didn’t seem too difficult.

She had her menu set for this important dinner: Korean barbeque with lettuce wraps, chicken, soup, vegetables, stir fried noodles, and fried shrimp. And a strawberry cream cake and ice cream for dessert. Too bad she had no idea where to start.

Luckily,  Mina had offered to help with the shopping; she’d also volunteered to set the table. This was by far the most elaborate meal Seolhyun had ever undertaken. Her sister, too, seemed eager to help. Luckily, Yuna was in town for a charity benefit and she'd to help cook.

Reading over the soup recipe one last time, Seolhyun rested her elbows on the kitchen counter. Unfortunately, her mind kept wandering from the page. She hadn’t seen Hyejeong since she’d visited her at home. Hyejeong had recovered from the flu and had gone back to work. Seolhyun knew that because she’d phoned and chatted briefly with her assistant who’d told her Hyejeong was indeed in the office.

But when Sojin asked if Seolhyun wished to speak to Hyejeong, she’d declined and hurriedly got off the phone. Hyejeong hadn’t called to thank her for the soup, not that she expected her to. She was coming to dinner on Sunday anyway and she almost dreaded seeing the girl; yet at the same time, she could hardly wait.

She hardly thought of Joong Ki—Joong Ki the captain, Joong Ki the perfect man—anymore.

Only Hyejeong seemed to inhabit her mind. And her heart? Something was very wrong.

The doorbell rang and Seolhyun left her kitchen. Mina bounced into the room as though she was on a trampoline. This wasn’t unusual these days. Her friend was in love. Mina seemed like a different person; nothing upset her, nothing annoyed her. In fact, she glowed with happiness. And yet she remained secretive about this new person in her life.

Still, Seolhyun had her suspicions. In retrospect, the night of her solitary tree-decorating should have been a giveaway.

“You ready?” Mina asked.

“Yuna phoned earlier,” Seolhyun said and carefully watched her friend’s expression.

Mina revealed nothing. “Oh, she's in town?”

“My sister seems to have a fair amount of business in the Seoul lately,” Seolhyun said, playing along. “She said she was here for some charity benefit, but if you ask me, the one who’s benefiting is my sister.”

Mina turned away and walked into the kitchen. She set down her purse, then removed her coat and draped it over the back of a kitchen chair. “This is your menu for tomorrow?” she said, still avoiding eye contact. She studied the paper on which Seolhyun had written her menu ideas.

"This menu seems a bit ambitious, don’t you think?”

“I wanted there to be choices.” It didn’t escape Seolhyun’s notice how quickly Mina had diverted the subject from Yuna.

“Hyejeong agreed to come, right?”

Switching the topic to Hyejeong was a clever move. “Yes.”

Before she could expand or hint further about Yuna, the doorbell chimed again. Seolhyun opened the door to her sister, who hugged her enthusiastically. Her eyes shined with a merriment that was due to more than the season, Seolhyun thought. When Yuna saw Mina her expression chilled. She greeted the doll like girl politely, even rather distantly.

“This dinner is becoming fancy,” Yuna said,

Seolhyun looked between her sister and her friend. “Okay, you two, sit down,” she ordered. She indicated the sofa. “Before you say anything, I want you to know that I arranged for you to be here at the same time.”

Yuna and Mina took opposite sides of the sofa while Seolhyun stood directly in front of them, her arms crossed. “You aren’t fooling me, you know. I guessed the two of had something going on.”

“We wanted to tell you!” Mina blurted out. “Well, I did, but Yuna felt we should wait.”

“We weren’t sure this was going anywhere,” Yuna explained, glancing at Mina.

“We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while,” Mina said in a small voice, glancing back at Yuna.

“If you’re upset, blame me,” Yuna said, quick to defend Mina.

“Why wouldn’t you want me to know?” Seolhyun asked, directing the question to both of them. “I’m happy for you!”

“It just kind of happened.”

“We dated for a while a year ago after we met at your birthday party, and it didn’t work out,” Yuna said.

“For her, maybe, but it worked for me. I fell in love with Yuna.” Mina looked down at her hands, which were neatly folded in her lap.

“Oh my god.” Seolhyun brought one hand to . “Hyejeong wouldn’t take you on as a client because you were in love with someone else. My sister?!”

Mina’s ears turned red as she nodded. “Yuna and I went out last year, like she said, and just when everything seemed to be going well…I didn’t hear from her.”

“I was traveling a lot,” Yuna said. “A relationship’s hard when I’m on the road so much. Besides, I was falling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter