Chap 11

3 Steps to Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong says: The perfect neighbor is the one who’s never home.

“You mean you won’t reconsider?” Seolhyun sputtered. Hyejeong was being totally unreasonable.

“Did you or did you not agree to host this dinner?”

“Well, yes,” she admitted with some reluctance, “but that was before I realized I’d be obliged to fly through the air with my underwear showing.”

A little guilt on Hyejeong's part wouldn't hurt. “A small wardrobe malfunction.” She said it with a straight face and Seolhyun stared at her, wondering if this was meant to be a joke.

“I suppose you could call it that.”

“At least you didn’t have a television audience.”

 She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, that makes it better.”

“Regardless, you are still required to complete a third task.”

Seolhyun made a face. “You’re a cruel person, Dr. Shin.”

“You were well aware of the conditions of our agreement before you signed the contract. However…”

“Yes?” Hope filled her.

“However, I believe it might be advantageous if you served this dinner prior to Christmas. In other words, not on Christmas Day itself as I originally specified.”

“Advantageous how?”

“If you agree to this new arrangement, I’ll arrange for you to meet Joong Ki before the twenty-fifth.”

“Oh.” Seolhyun had her suspicions. “And when did you make this decision?”

She wasn’t fooled; Hyejeong wanted her gone and on her way to marital bliss so she wouldn’t have to deal with her anymore.

“Why the dirty look? I would think you’d be grateful.”

“I’d be a whole lot more grateful if I didn’t distrust your motives.”

Hyejeong watched her steadily. “And what is wrong with my motives?”

Irritated, Seolhyun stood. She wasn’t sure why this latest suggestion upset her—the opposite should be true. It should thrill her, since she’d be that much closer to meeting Joong Ki. But it didn’t. She walked over to the picture window. “You want me out of your life,” she mumbled, her back to Hyejeong.

“I didn’t say that.”

“You didn’t need to.”

“Listen, Seolhyun, and this is important. Don’t fall in love with me. I’m not good relationship material. Furthermore—”

“Oh, please,” Seolhyun snapped. “You’re in greater danger of falling for me!”

“Don’t flatter yourself.” Hyejeong went into the kitchen with their coffee cups. When she came back, Seolhyun guessed it was time to leave. Her clue was that the matchmaker had put on her coat and scarf.

On the return trip to the mall, there was silence between them, no music, not even the radio. When they arrived, Seolhyun told him where to drop her off. Hyejeong pulled up behind her parked car. “Please let me know when you intend to serve the Christmas meal,” she said.

“Can I get back to you?”

Hyejeong kept her hands on the steering wheel and gazed straight ahead. “Fine. But remember that all three tasks must be completed to my satisfaction. So far, you’ve done well.”

Was that praise? From the high and mighty Shin Hyejeong? Seolhyun could hardly believe it. The other girl must have an ulterior motive, no matter how much she denied it. Although, now that Seolhyun considered it, she hadn’t exactly opposed the accusation. “I’ll call you later in the week with the date.”

“Good. I thought you’d come around.” She opened the passenger door, then climbed out and banged it shut.

“Good,” she mimicked. Seeing someone waiting eagerly for her parking space, Seolhyun hurriedly got into her car and backed out.

On the drive home she did her best to analyze why someone she disliked could affect her so profoundly. It troubled her that she’d enjoyed Hyejeong’s touch and her kiss, that she felt invigorated by her—occasionally annoying—conversation. Not until the following Wednesday was Seolhyun able to work out a date that was agreeable to all her neighbors, as well as Mina and Yuna.

Dinner was scheduled for the Sunday before Christmas. To her credit, Chanmi seemed pleased by the invitation and offered to bring her special pork feet. Her mother’s recipe, she said. Seolhyun declined, saying she’d take care of everything.

Youkung gave a one-word answer. “Why?”

"It’s just an invitation to dinner,” Seolhyun said. “I’m doing all the cooking and…and it seemed neighborly to have a Christmas celebration.” The explanation struck her as a bit lame, but she could hardly tell her the real reason.

“Who else are you inviting?” She told her. “I suppose I could come,” she said and closed the door. She made it sound as if she was doing her a favor. In retrospect, maybe she was.

The rap-music boy was harder to catch. She rang his doorbell several times, then pounded hard, but either he didn’t want to answer or he was so deaf he couldn’t hear her. In the end she slipped a note under his door. He responded in kind, placing a message under her door that said he’d be delighted to join her for dinner. He signed it Yoongi, which seemed a rather inoffensive name for someone who listened to such aggressive music.

Now that the arrangements were made, Seolhyun was ready to contact Hyejeong. She knew Hyejeong kept evening hours a couple of days a week for the benefit of working clients, and this was one of those days.

“She's not in the office,” Sojin informed her. “I don’t see your name on the appointment list.”

“She asked me to call.” Or maybe she’d volunteered; Seolhyun couldn’t remember.

“I see. Do you wish to leave a message for her?”

“No.” Seolhyun was emphatic about that. She preferred to speak to the girl personally. In her opinion, it was time that Hyejeong learned the art of compromise. She was going to ask for one small concession, and if Hyejeong had any common sense at all, he’d agree.

“Can you tell me when he’ll be available?”

“Oh sorry, I’m afraid I can’t. Dr. Shin is home sick with the flu.”

Hyejeong was sick? Seolhyun felt immediate sympathy. “How long has she been out?”

“Two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter