CHAPTER 1 - “Don’t let their words get to you.”

Midnight

            It was somewhere during the end of fall, the leaves were falling from the trees in a graceful manner as the wind blew quietly. The squirrels were gathering acorns before the harsh winter would arrive.

            She wrapped her light blue knitted scarf around her neck as she placed her hands in the pocket of her worn out jeans. She shivered and anyone could see that she was freezing due to her red nose. She looked up to the sky before she huffed, “Here we go again, another day of my boring life.”

            Hana was a really cheerful girl. It seemed that a smile always graced her face. It was just impossible to hate her. She was one strong, independent girl. No one would mess with her. She made that point clear on her first day in high school. It was when a mischievous boy tried to trip her when she was on the way to the canteen. Boy was that the worst mistake he had made in life. Hana had already seen past his motives before stepping on his foot, crushing a few bones here and there.

            She arrived in school before folding her scarf and placing it in her school bag. As she walked to her locker, greetings and smiles were exchanged between some of the students and her. When she reached her locker, she immediately punched in the code and started taking out the books that she needed for her classes today.

            She traced the photo that was pasted in her locker. In the photo, it was Hana and a really fair girl and rosy cheeks. She was Hana’s best friend. It broke her heart when she had to move to Australia as her father needed to move there for work. She smiled at the memories of them that were forever etched in her heart.

            “G-good mo-morning Hana, I ba-baked some c-cookies for you.” A small and timid voice greeted, breaking her away from her thoughts.

            “Oh! Hi Baekhyun! Awww, that’s so sweet of you. Thanks!” She beamed with her brightest smile. The said boy blushed a little before replying, “Thank you for saving me the other day.” Hana furrowed her eyebrows before her eyes widened at the memory, “There’s no need to thank me for that. The bullies in this school should know their place. How’s your wrist?” She frowned as she asked. Baekhyun gave her a small smile before he muttered “its fine.” He then began to walk to his first class of the day.

            Baekhyun was a boy with a very timid personality. This always made him top on the bullies’ list. He was often picked on as Baekhyun never knew how to stand up for himself. He was referred to as a weakling by everyone. He would quietly sit alone in the table at the corner during recess and in class, it seemed like his nose was forever stuck in a book.

            It was indeed very miserable as he had no friends and no one to turn to when he was feeling down. But it all soon changed when a certain bubbly girl popped into his life and changed it.

            Half a day soon passed by and it was now recess. Baekhyun sighed as he removed his glasses and slowly walked to the canteen. He was in the line when all of a sudden; a few girls stepped in front of him and pushed him, causing the poor boy to stumble. “Get lost weakling.” Their shrilly laugh piercing through the whole canteen.

            “That’s not nice.” A voice, full of authority had come from behind him. Apparently, Hana was standing not far away from Baekhyun as she held her Power puff Girls lunchbox in her hand. The girls who apparently had jumped the queue scoffed and the leader actually had a chic to retort back, “Just who are you to tell me off. I don’t really give a damn to what you actually think.”

            Hana smirked before saying, “Well actually, I’ve got every right to tell you off and so does everyone. It just seems that I’m making the choice to stepped forward to correct your petty mistakes. Words should never even come from that filthy mouth of yours,”

            The leader scoffed as Hana had actually pressed her button and soon her right hand was already in the air, ready to give Hana a piece of her mind.

            Unfortunately, the leader didn’t really know who she was messing with. She could only shed tears when Hana had painfully twisted her wrist and kept a death grip on it. “Do not mess with me as I’m not afraid to break your wrist. Maybe I would also land a punch on that fake plastic nose of yours.” Hana threatened before throwing the leader’s hand back to her side.

            The leader and minions scurried away. “Stupid s.” Hana grumbled as she saw them scurrying away while their heels clicked on the ground. She looked back to the front and saw that Baekhyun was already gone. She squinted her eyes as she look around and her eyes widened when she found the boy. She skipped happily to the table at the corner and plopped right in front of the boy.

            The boy stopped sipping his soup and looked up. He nearly choked on his soup when he found Hana sitting right in front of him. She opened up her lunchbox and started stuffing when she realized a pair of eyes staring right at her. “What?” She asked him, full of food which caused her to look like a chipmunk. Baekhyun calmly shook his head before continuing to eat his food. What she didn’t notice was the small smile that graced Baekhyun’s face.

            “Hey Hana, what are you doing with a loser like him?” Laughter erupted from behind them. Hana looked up before groaning. Can’t a girl eat in peace?

            “Well at least bull does not come out from his mouth like you, does it?” She said as she beamed at the guy who said that. He coughed before looking away.

            Hana turned back to Baekhyun and her heart broke to see the crestfallen look on his face. She gripped his hand firmly, ignoring the fact that he flinched. Baekhyun slowly looked up at Hana, just in time as she smiled. “Don’t let their words get to you, Baekhyun. Words won’t hurt you if you don’t allow them to. I’d say you’re one of the most charming people I’ve ever met.”

            Hana chuckled as she saw the tint of red creeping up Baekhyun’s face. She placed the lid back onto her lunch box and stood up. She then reached out her hand to the boy in front of her with a kind smile.

            “Shall we?”

            Baekhyun shyly took her hand and stood up and they began walking out of the canteen together. That was the day Baekhyun found a new friend. Someone to lean on. Someone to bring light back into his life.

            He knew he wasn’t wrong when the girl in front of him smiled brightly once again.