One.

Baby Steps

“Just make your mood happy every time, try to stay away on things that would probably get you depressed or stressed of some sort.” I told her as she sat on swiveling chair in front of my desk.

 

“But how do I do that? I got so much to do, I can’t help it if I get into a stressing situation…” she replied questioning me.

 

“That’s why I’m telling you to avoid it. Take a leave from your job Ms. Kim, or else it won’t do you any good at all.” I told her calmly.

 

She inhaled and exhaled deeply before answering me back. “Alright, thanks for your help Ms. Kwon.”

 

“No problem, and don’t worry if your boss won’t agree about a leave. I’ll handle him or her for you.” I flashed a smile and she smiled back before standing up and heading out of the door.

 

When she was finally out I let out a big sigh as I closed my eyes and slouched on my chair, then I heard a knock on the door. “Yul, are you there?” by the sound of it I already recognized who it is.

 

“Come in Soo…” I heard the door opened so I arranged my position and looked at her. “What’s up?”

 

“You wanna go with us for dinner tonight?” Sooyoung asked as she placed herself at the sofa.

 

“Hm…” I looked at my watch and I knew that it wasn’t possible. “I would love to, but I can’t. I have to get home early today.”

 

“Again? Yul, for the past month you’ve been saying that for almost every time we ask you to go out with us…” she whined.

 

“You know what I’m up to Soo, I need to handle someone at home.” I told her as I arranged the scattered papers on my desk.

 

“Aren’t you getting tired?” she asked as she looked at me with worry.

 

It was very simple. “Why would I?” I answered her as I prepared myself to leave. “Speaking of which, I have to go now. All of my appointments have been moved for next week…” I grabbed my bag.

 

“Ok, if you say so.” Sooyoung stood up and arranged her clothing.

 

“Oh, and a favor Soo. If Ms. Kim comes back tomorrow, please do the honor to handle her for a week for me, I have somewhere to go with her.” I smiled at her and ran my way out of my office.

 

“Oh maaan Yul…” I heard her groan which made me chuckle as I continue to leave the place.

 

***

 

“I’m home…!” I called out while I lock the door behind me. I looked around before throwing my bag unto the couch. I headed to the kitchen and found a set of plate, spoon, fork and a glass on the sink about to be washed since there’s a soap residue on it.

 

I was about to go towards it and finish the seemingly unfinished business when suddenly I felt a pair of arms encircle my waist.

 

I chuckled lightly as I encircle my hands on my own waist making me able to touch hers. “Hello Fany-ah…” I greeted making my voice as calm as possible.

 

“You’re home…” she said softly, it was almost inaudible but because of the close contact I was able to hear it.

 

“Yep I’m home, where were you?” I turned around facing her, looking down a little since she was a little shorter. Now we were both hugging each other’s waist.

 

“I was washing… the dishes… then I went… to the bathroom.” She muttered slowly while not making any eye contact with me.

 

“Tiffany…what did I say…” I removed my other hand from her waist and used it to lift her face by the chin gently, making her look at me in the eyes. “…about making eye contact…” I can tell she was feeling uncomfortable for she was making rapid movements in her eyes. “…when talking to me…?” but I successfully made her look at me.

 

“I-I…I’m…s-sorry…” I just smiled, though she wasn’t looking directly into me, she was looking at the bridge of my nose. It made me happy knowing that I’m doing some progress with her, we were much better that the first time I met her, the first time I made skin contact with her to the least.

 

Flash back.

 

I was sitting on the couch with a sandwich in hand while watching some random stuff on TV when suddenly; I heard a door bell followed by multiple knocks on the door.

 

I placed my food down and stood up from the couch and I headed towards the door. “Yes, who is it?”

 

I opened the door and I was utterly shocked by what I saw.

 

“Yuri unnie!” she shouted, while carrying someone in her arms. Group of policemen and police cars are parked at the front of my house

 

“Yoong? W-What are you doing here? Who’s that? What’s with the police everywhere? Did I do something wrong?” I bombed her with questions.

 

“Yuri unnie calm down will you, you didn’t do anything wrong.” She said as she struggles carrying the person in her arms.

 

“Who’s that?” I pointed using my eyes.

 

“She’s the reason why I’m here… unnie can I get in?” she asked as she tries to shift positions while holding the girl.

 

“Sorry, come in…” I let her in and we both went to the couch. “Place her here…” I pointed the couch and Yoona did just that, she placed the girl softly on it.

 

“Thanks unnie, gosh carrying someone is hard…” she stretched her limbs freely.

 

“You just need to do some exercise Yoong.” I teased.

 

“I do exercise, I’m a cop aren’t I?” she slapped me in the shoulder.

 

“Ok, ok. So back to my other question, who’s this?”

 

“Her? She’s a girl that we saved from the operation we just sorted out today.” She answered as she grabbed the sandwich on the table.

 

“Why did you bring her here?”

 

“Yuri-unnie, you are a psychologist so I thought you’d be a great help with this type of thing,” she replied coolly.

 

“What? Why can’t the authorities handle her?” I answered, a little bit frustrated.

 

“Trust me we tried. She literally went berserk on my men when we tried getting her out of that sickening building. No one was able to handle her, until she got tired and yeah, you know the drill.”

 

“Sickening building? Why, what happened?” I asked, I’m kind of curious.

 

Yoona told me everything, every single, disgusting and horrifying thing that happened to her, to Tiffany. Mainly the words abused, molested, and threatened would be enough to get your blood boil. I pitied her, she was treated so badly that it caused her trauma’s that are quite hard to manage.

 

“That’s why she’s here, take care of her unnie, you’re part of the authorities too anyway and I trust you because I know you very well.” She said before she stood up and readied herself to leave. “I’m going now unnie, but I’m warning you too to be careful, she’s been through a lot….”

 

“I got it, don’t worry…” I bid my good bye and they all left.

 

I looked at the sleeping figure on the sofa, I went closer and that’s when I noticed how tattered her clothes were under the blanket that Yoona used to cover her up, the bruises, scratches and wounds that were still fresh by the looks of it. Unconsciously my hand formed into a fist as I looked at her intently.

 

I made the decision to carry her and place her on my bed for she won’t be comfortable on the couch. I carefully placed her there and changed her clothes with mine knowing she wouldn’t wake up any minute now regarding to what Yoona did, I didn’t worry too much if she’ll go hitting me if she sees me changing her clothes.

 

After getting her changed I let out a sigh and just stared at her thinking on what could I possibly do to cure whatever she’s experiencing. I guess I’ll have to deal with it later.

 

***

 

I was preparing for dinner when I heard piercing screams coming from my room. I went upstairs in a hurry not wanting her to hurt herself in the process of whatever she’s doing. I opened my bedroom door and there she was…

 

Her knees tucked into her chest, her hands around it while her face buried unto her knees. I can here multiple cries and sobs coming from her. I didn’t dare to come closer to her, I major in these types of things and I should know better.

 

“Tiffany-ssi…” I spoke softly, wanting to get her attention but not scaring her. I can tell that she heard me when she slowly lifted her head up meeting my gaze. “Please calm down Tiffany…” I spoke again, but this time, panic and fear were clearly visible in her eyes.

 

“WHERE AM I?? WHAT WILL YOU DO TO ME??” her loud and piercing screams echoed around the four walled space, she grabbed pillows and threw them at me. I didn’t move besides covering myself whenever she would grab something that isn’t a pillow. “DON’T HURT ME PLEASE. GO AWAY.” She continued to just cry and cry. “I’M BEGGING YOU.” I didn’t know why, but it hurt hearing her beg for something I wouldn’t do. How worse could’ve they possibly done to her to make her react this way? I can see pain and agony, but fear surfaces the most.

 

“Tiffany, please calm down…I’m not going to hurt you, ok.” I tried talking again, this time she stopped throwing things. I celebrated victory inwardly when she stopped, knowing that the calmness in my voice is the reason. It’s the one thing why I chose psychology; they said that my voice is very calm, very suiting for this job.

 

She just continued with her soft sobs, tears b in her eyes. I was having the urge to wipe them but I knew that it would be a bad idea at this point, so I just sat there on the floor in front of the bed she’s sitting at, just watching and analyzing her, totally forgetting to eat dinner since I became so focused at her. I fell asleep when she did, and I woke up so hungry in the morning.

TBC.