Eight

Great Escape

- A month later -  

Christmas was less than a month away and Seoul’s weather dropped to the negatives as winter came. This meant that Jaein had to wear 3++ layers of clothes to make sure she doesn’t freeze to death. Also with her terrible autoimmune hemolytic anemia, she has to regularly go to the hospital for blood transfusions and iron supplements.

The last class of the day had just ended for Jaein as she packed up her stuff. Her plan for tonight was to binge watch her favorite shows on Netflix since she has nothing due this week. She was hoping not to run into any of the boys because they would probably drag her to their dorm to hang out. She needed her ‘me’ time.

Speaking of the little devils, her phone just rang with a new message from them:

“Jaein-ah! Please come to your room right now. We need to discuss some things.”

Baekhyun wrote in a new group chat entitled “Chanyeol’s Birthday Surprise”  

How did they even get in? She thought to herself as she headed to her studio.

“Finally you’re here! What took you so long?” Jongdae whined as Jaein entered her single studio room.

“Shut up Jongdae. We don’t have time to chit-chat. Professor Park can’t keep him distracted forever,” Junmyeon snapped.

Jaein took off her coat and boots before joining them.

“Tomorrow’s Chanyeol’s birthday and we need to surprise him. He’ll be a sad puppy if we make it lame,” Baekhyun explained, “So we need cake, balloons, and presents.”

“Where will be surprise him?” Yixing asked.

“Our dorm of course. We’ll need someone to distract him tomorrow while we set things up,” Baekhyun answered.

“Chanyeol has a specific cake he’s been craving that isn’t available in any close bakeries. The only place that they sell them is in Apgujeong. I already called the place so someone needs to go tonight and get it,” Minseok explained.

No one volunteered because of the horrible weather therefore, they drew straws. In the end, Kyungsoo drawed the short straw so he had to go.

“I feel bad if  hyung goes alone. Why don’t you go with him Jaein?’ Jongin suggested.

The boys tried to hide their smiling faces.

“Oh sure–

“I can go alone,” Kyungsoo cut her off.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll go with you,” Jaein said.

“But you can’t stand the cold,” he replied.

“I’ll be fine. We’re only getting cake,” she reassured him with a smile.

“Okay then! You two go on your little date while we figure out the décor and gifts,” Jongdae exclaimed excitedly.

Kyungsoo shot him a glare while Jaein and the others just chuckled.

“You want me to call a cab?” Jaein asked as they successfully snuck out of the building.

“No thanks. Junmyeon hyung told me to use his car instead,” Kyungsoo replied.

“You’re going to drive? I still want to live Soo~” she teased.

“Yah, I’m a pretty good driver,” he said playfully. 

Kyungsoo opened the car door for Jaein to get in before he walked to the other side.

“Dear Lord Jesus, I pray that you will bring us safely to the bakery and back. Amen.” Jaein said outloud.

“Don’t worry too much. I only failed my driving test twice,” Kyungsoo joked.

“DO KYUNGSOO!” she yelled.

It took them an hour and a half to get to the bakery due to the light traffic. They had to park a block or two away from the place since parking was full.

“It’s so freaking cold,” Jaein mumbled to herself as she got out of the car.

Kyungsoo locked the car before walking over towards her.

“The weather is unbelievable,” he said as they walked down the street.

“Tell me about it. I think my fingers are starting to feel numb,” Jaein replied while blowing into her hands. 

Kyungsoo felt bad since he knows that Jaein doesn’t like the cold. He could see from her face that she wasn’t feeling very well.

“Hey, I’m going to do something really cheesy but it’ll help ease the coldness,” he said carefully while looking at her.

Jaein stopped in her tracks and looked at him, slightly confused. Kyungsoo then slowly took her hand in his and shoved it in his coat pocket. He looked away from her and started walking. Jaein honestly was shocked by his gesture and smiled shyly.

“You’re right. This is very cheesy,” she teased as he hid his red face. “But I don’t mind Soo-yah.”

Kyungsoo always smiled whenever she called him ‘Soo’ because it sounds very warm and sweet to him. It felt very affectionate for him.

As they entered the bakery, both Jaein and Kyungsoo still didn’t let go of each other’s hands.

“Hi there. What can I help you with?” the old lady asked with a big smile on his face.

The old lady looked very sweet and kind. The store itself too felt very warm and cozy.

“Hi. My friend called earlier to order a cake. He said it was called ‘Chocolate Wonderland’” Kyungsoo answered.

“Oh yes. Good thing he called earlier because this cake is easily sold out. It’s our specialty cake,” the old lady replied cheekily.

“Oh, what’s so special about it halmoni?” Kyungsoo asked curiously.

“Well we use a special kind of chocolate and a secret ingredient. You’ll understand when you try it,” she answered while wrapping the cake prettily.

“That will be 30,000 won young man,” the old lady said as she gave Kyungsoo the cake.

He took out his wallet and gave her his card.

“Are you both sure you don’t want to stay for a quick bite of our other cakes? We have a couple special today,” she said while giving Kyungsoo’s card back.

“Oh, we’re not together,” Jaein replied quickly as she took her hand out of Kyungsoo’s grasp. She didn’t want the old lady to misunderstand.

 “Is that so?” the old lady eyed them carefully.

“She was just feeling cold. I didn’t want her to freeze to death,” Kyungsoo added.

“Okay then. Thank you for buying our cake,” she said with a smile. “And I hope both of you would eventually be brave enough to tell each other the truth.”

Both of them were flustered at the old lady’s comment. They said their thank you’s before heading out. None of them were too shy to look at each other.

“Um, so should we head back?” Kyungsoo asked while rubbing his neck.

“Can we stop by a nearby store for a bit? I need to get Chanyeol a gift,” Jaein replied, pointing at the store.

Kyungsoo nodded and started walking.

“Do you think Chanyeol would like this one or this one?” Jaein asked as she pointed to two different earphones.

“The Bose one looks nice but the Senheisser suits him more,” Kyungsoo answered.  

Jaein placed the Bose one back on the shelf and walked towards the counter.

“That big giant keeps losing his earphones. I hope he won’t lose this one too,” Kyungsoo told her.

“Yeah. And he can finally watch his ridiculous videos without disturbing everyone else,” Jaein replied.

After she paid, Kyungsoo suggested that they should eat before going back.

“Are you sure they’d be okay with us taking too long?” she asked.

“They’d be fine with it. Aren’t you hungry?” he replied.

Jaein answered with a nod.

“There’s this nice mandu place a couple blocks from here. Want to go there?” Kyungsoo suggested.

“Oh yes please. I’ve been craving mandu since forever,” she replied excitedly.

His smile turned into shock when he felt her hand interlocking with his and carried into his coat pocket.

“I’m sorry. I can’t stand the cold.” Jaein said shyly. “If you’re not comfortable, I can let go-

“No, it’s perfectly fine. My hands were starting to feel numb as well,” he replied with a shy smile as they started walking.

“2 portions of the assorted mandu set and one kimchi jigae coming up,” the waiter said as he placed the food on their table.

“Everything looks amazing,” Kyungsoo said as he eyed the mandu.

Jaein took her phone out and pressed the camera app.

“Soo, say cheeeese,” she said as she lifted her phone up to get a better angle.

Kyungsoo put a hand over her shoulder and did a peace sign with the other. Jaein did a peace sign with her free hand before taking a few shots.

“This is cute,” she said as she looked at the pictures.

Kyungsoo agreed that they indeed looked cute together.

“Jalmukesumneda~” both of them said before digging in.

It was already 9:30 when they head back to the car. Jaein felt sleepy due to her very full stomach. Kyungsoo noticed her 4th yawn and quietly chuckled.

“This is gonna be a long ride since the traffic will be worse than before. Just sleep alright?” he said as he started the engine.

Jaein sleepily nodded.