Thirteen

Great Escape

Everyone was finally done with midterms as they all geared up for the festival. Both Jaein and Kyungsoo didn’t see each other at all for a month since they were busy with their own things. Jaein thanked the exams for keeping her busy so that she wouldn’t think about him while Kyungsoo was frustrated since he couldn’t meet up with her. They both knew that they needed to talk about what happened that night on the beach. Their feelings for each other were eating them alive.

“I bet Jaein’s relieved that midterms are over. She finally gets to relax a bit,” Jongdae said as he fixed his microphone.

“Yeah, we didn’t even get to see her at all! Wonder what she’s up to now,” Junmyeon added. 

“Probably texting Kyungsoo little love notes. They’re always together,” Baekhyun teased.

Kyungsoo glared at Baek for his little comment and sighed. I wish he thought to himself.

“We should invite her to dinner at that new BBQ restaurant tonight. I heard it’s amazing,” Jongin recommended.

“Noted. I will text her now,” Chanyeol replied.

On the other hand, Jaein was currently in the library returning the books she borrowed. Her phone screen lit up and showed an incoming text from Chanyeol.

Hi there! How are you? Probably exhausted from the exams… but I’m glad it’s over!! Anyways, are you free tonight? The boys and I want to go to this new BBQ place near campus with you. Jongin said it’s reaaallyyyyyyy good. – Chanyeol.

Jaein was about to text ‘yes’ when she thought about Kyungsoo. He’s going to be there. I can’t face him right now. She thought to herself. But she missed him and the guys so much. Also, talking about what happened and getting things straight will be good for them. But then again, what should she say to him?

Hey! I think I’m free tonight. Maybe I’ll catch you guys there. – Jaein.

She waited for Chanyeol to text back.

We’ll meet you there then at 7. See you! Chanyeol.

Jaein sighed to herself before thanking the librarian and walking back to her room.

♦♦♦

Jaein nervously walked into the restaurant, now knowing what to expect. Her nervousness elevated when she got a glimpse of the boys.

“You’re here!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he stood up and gave her a hug.

Everyone else greeted her warmly as she took a seat beside Junmyeon.

“You look horrible noona,” Sehun said as he examined her face.

“You look horrible too Sehun-ah,” she replied with a smile. 

“I don’t look horrible! You’re so rude-

“Yah. You both look amazing so can we start ordering?” Junmyeon interrupted as he rubbed his temples.

“So, how are you? How were exams?” Minseok asked while the others ordered.

“I’m doing well… and exams were alright. Not sure if I did well though. I just need to pass anyways,” Jaein answered.

“I like your thinking Song Jaein,” Baekhyun said, throwing a wink towards her direction.

Jaein shook her head and chuckled at his cute gesture. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo was nervous but wanted for them to stop avoiding each other. He hated not being able to casually hang out together or go on late nights and early morning McDonalds rendezvous. 

“By the way, I really hope you’ll be at the festival. Kyungsoo and I have this killer duet to perform,” Jongdae said.

“I’ll try to come. My friends would probably drag me with them since I skipped last year’s festival,” she replied.

“I heard them practice and it was amazing. Guaranteed to melt hearts, especially Kyungsoo’s buttery vocals,” Junmyeon added.

“Ooh, now I’m excited,” she said teasingly as her eyes met his. She gave him a shy smile before she looked away.

That smile gets me every time… At least she isn’t mad at me or anything. Kyungsoo thought to himself.

The dinner lasted for a couple hours before they had to go back. Junmyeon made sure that he paid for the meal since she did it last time. They exited the restaurant with satisfied stomachs.

“Remember, the festival is next Friday. Yixing and I are also performing a self-choreographed piece,” Jongin reminded her, to which she replied with an ‘ok’ sign.

Kyungsoo was about to offer to walk her back when a voice called out for her. They all turned to the man who called her.

“I’ll be leaving first then. My study group’s celebrating the end of exams at one of their places. See you guys around!” she explained as she walked towards the guy.

Kyungsoo noticed the familiar looking man. The others noticed Kyungsoo’s uneasy look and realized that they’ll be interrogating him about his current status with Jaein when they get back to the dorm.

♦♦♦

When they arrived, Jongin and Sehun ushered Kyungsoo to sit on the couch while the others sat as well. Before he could say anything, Baekhyun spoke first.

“What the hell is going on between you and Jaein? You’re not usually that quiet around her.”

“We know you have feelings for her and you’ve gone pass the ‘shy boy’ phase with her,” Chanyeol added.

“It’s none of your business,” Kyungsoo said with a tired tone.

“Oh come on. We’re trying to help you out here,” Jongdae replied.

“Yeah. We don’t like seeing you this miserable hyung. Jaein didn’t look well either,” Sehun added.

Kyungsoo looked at the ground and contemplated whether to tell them or not. They’ve all been friends since forever and he does need a bit of help.

“We kind of kissed when I took her to the beach. And we haven’t spoken since then,” he said shyly. If Kyungsoo lifted his head, the boys could see how red his face was.

Silence engulfed the room, followed by sudden cheers. Jongin embraced Kyungsoo in a big tight hug while shaking him.

“I knew you could do it! I knew you had the balls!” he exclaimed happily.

“Well, she kissed me first so I guess she has the balls?” he replied.

“Wait, Song freaking Jaein kissed you first? This is amazing. This isn’t the one-sided love we’ve always thought he had,” Baekhyun exclaimed excitedly.

Kyungsoo threw the latter a quick glare before telling them all to shut up.

“So she does like you… and you like her,” Minseok muttered.

“I’m not even sure if she likes me or if she was just caught up in the moment. We were talking about some personal things that got both of us quite emotional so… I don’t know,” Kyungsoo clarified.

“I suggest you confront her and tell her how you really feel. Who knows she might be feeling the same way. She might think that you were caught up in the moment too,” Junmyeon suggested.

“I agree with hyung. Even if she did get caught up in the moment, who says there isn’t any feelings? She  might just realize it as you tell her,” Chanyeol added.

“I-alright. See you guys in the morning I guess,” he said as he stood up and started walking towards his room. They do have a point…

They all just let him go since there was nothing else they could do.

“He just needs a bit of time. I’m sure in a couple days’ time, he’ll approach her,” Yixing said.

 

Meanwhile, Jaein was having fun talking with her study group at Jaebom’s place.

“By the way, I saw her boyfriend today~” Baekho teased.

Jaein threw him a glare and told him to shut up.

“You did?! What did he look like???” Minhee asked curiously.

“Cute, but with a manly vibe. Like… he looks charming yet very squishy,” Baekho answered.

“Awww. You should introduce us to him. Does he go to our Uni?” Jaebom said.

“He’s a vocal and composition major. And we’re not together so stop teasing,” Jaein replied.

“But you like him~” Yujin teased.

“Shut up! What about you and that journalism major guy? You guys had a hell of a make out session-

“YAH!” Yujin exclaimed as he covered Jaein’s mouth.

“Oh my god. I didn’t picture you to be so scandalous,” Minhee teased Yujin.

As they continued to tease Yujin, Jaein was relieved that they didn’t implore more on her love life. She was already having a hard time because of it.

♦♦♦

As days passed by, the day of the festival has finally come. The boys were busy preparing for their performances and were really nervous since this was their first big performance. They have always performed in front of their professors but never the whole campus.

“. I’m so nervous,” Jongdae said as he tried to calm his nerves.

“Me too,” Kyungsoo replied as he too was trying to control his breathing.

The others gathered around the two.

“Stop being nervous. You guys are making us scared too,” Chanyeol muttered.

“I wonder if Jaein will watch later. I really need to show of my vocal runs to her,” Baekhyun wondered.

The sound of her name took Kyungsoo’s heart by surprise. The possibility of her standing in the crowd, watching him, just made him even more nervous.

“I’m pretty sure she’ll be there,” Yixing replied.

Jongin noticed Kyungsoo’s face expression and gave him a pat on the back.

“She will love your voice. Maybe even fall in love with you too while she’s at it,” he said, making the others giggle.

If looks could kill, Jongin would be dead by now.

“Cut it out guys,” Minseok said as he helped Kyungsoo out.  

“Whether she comes or not, you should do your absolute best. Put those emotions in the words you sing. Make this performance count,” Junmyeon explained.

Just two more hours… Kyungsoo thought to himself.

Meanwhile, Jaein was in her dorm room figuring out what to wear to the festival. She decided on a pair of floral shorts and a simple white blouse with a pastel cardigan. She had two hours to get ready before the festival’s highlight performance. She made sure to keep her makeup light and natural, but heavy on the blush to give her some flush.

When she got there, the area was really crowded as they all watched the ongoing performances. She could also spot a lot of fans. According to the brochure, Jongin and Yixing’s dance was about start followed by Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s performance, and ending with Jongdae and Kyungsoo’s duet. Minseok and Junmyeon were the main MCs for the night. As she located a nice area near the stage to the left of the field, she sent some encouraging words to the group chat with a photo of her view of the stage.

I’m here and waiting patiently for your performances. Good luck! – Jaein.

Junmyeon felt his phone buzz as he opened the incoming message. A big smile was plastered on his face as he ran to show the others.

“Look who’s here and waiting for us,” he said as he showed his phone to the boys.

Their phones were currently in the dressing room.

“She’s really here! And quite close to the stage,” Jongdae exclaimed happily.

“Well, I guess we have to give it our all then,” Chanyeol said as he strummed his guitar.

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile as his heart started to race. Tonight he’s not just singing to the crowd, but also to the woman he loves.

 

Jaein enjoyed every performance so far. Yixing and Jongin’s choreography was extremely well made and y while Chanyeol and Baek’s performance was quirky and fun. Now it was time for the closing emotional duet.

“This will be our last performance for UoA’s annual Christmas festival for 2017. Give it up for Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongdae!” Junmyeon exclaimed as the crowd erupted in cheers.

The two boys stepped nervously onto the stage as they take their places. Kyungsoo scanned the crowd until his eyes met the one person he has longed to see. She gave him one of his favorite smiles.

“Hey guys, before we start the song, my duet partner Kyungsoo here has something to say,” Jongdae said into the mic which caught the boys and Kyungsoo off guard. He shot Jongdae and deathly and panicked glare.

“Um, hi everyone. This is o-our first public performance and w-we are honored to close the festival,” he started as his eyes locked onto hers, “the song we’re going to sing is called The Last Time by Eric Benet. It’s a song that I believe carries pure emotions through simple words and a song that will hopefully warm your hearts and minds. I hope you understand and accept the emotions we will convey through this song.”

The first time I fell in love was long ago.
I didn't know how to give my love at all.

Without her realizing, Jaein started thinking about that night in the car when Kyungsoo told her about his past love. The way his eyes glistened to the memory and his face showing the pain he’s kept. 

The first time we walked under that starry sky,
there was a moment when everything was clear.

Now she was thinking of the night on the beach. The night they got personal. The night they kissed under the stars. The night she realized what he meant to her.

You'll never know what it's taken me to say these words.
And now that I've said them, they could never be enough.

She paused and took a deep look at him. He was shining up there. His voice colored the night sky and it was beautiful.

As far as I can see, there's only you and only me.
This is the last time I'll fall in love.

She felt deep in her heart that this song was for her. She knew that he wanted her to understand what he feels. But without any reason at all, Jaein walked away. She turned her around and walked far from the stage. Kyungsoo who was smiling and bowing to the roaring crowd got a glimpse of her figure walking away. He wanted to yell for her to comeback or scream into the mic, but he was frozen.

“You both were amazing!” Sehun exclaimed as Jongdae abd Kyungsoo walked off the stage.

“The harmonies were on point,” Chanyeol added.

Kyungsoo didn’t pay attention to the dozen compliments thrown at them. He was thinking about what went wrong that caused Jaein to walk away like that.

“Jaein’s face was in pure awe as you guys sang. Where is she by the way? We should watch the fireworks together,” Yixing mentioned.

“I saw her walking towards the lake I think. Man, she was amazed,” Junmyeon said as he stepped down the stage.

Kyungsoo’s blank stare turned into a hopeful one as he gave the mic to one of the staff and started walking away.

“Yah! Where are you going?? The fireworks are about to start!” Baek yelled to him.

“Lake! I’m going to the lake!” he yelled back as he quickens his pace.

It took a good couple of minutes for Kyungsoo to find the lake but it only took him half a second to spot her figure. Jaein was calmly looking at the lake with nothing but his melodic, soothing voice in her head. She even started humming the song before being poked on the back. When she turned around, it felt like everything around stopped moving as her eyes met his.

“Hi,” Kyungsoo smiled.

“Hey,” she replied, also with a smile.

“I saw you watching us earlier. What do you think? Were we any good?” he asked.

“You were amazing! I didn’t know all of you were so talented. Who knew you had that voice in you though,” she answered.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Absolutely beautiful...”

She paused for a second before looking away. Kyungsoo examined her face and noticed her cheeks were redder than usual. Her fingers were also playing with the hem of her shorts, which he knew meant that she was nervous.

“Is everything alright?” he asked while stepping closer towards her.

“Um, yeah. I just can’t get that song out of my head… the song you and Jongdae sang,” she answered as she looked towards the lake.

“It’s pretty nice right?”

“Mhm. And the lyrics were very touching. You both sang it very well.”

Again, silence took over them. Jaein honestly didn’t know what to do while Kyungsoo knew exactly what to say. He needed to take Junmyeon’s advice for once and man up.

“Jaein-ah, do you remember when we went to the beach and things happened?” he paused, “Things that made us stop talking to each other and just created this awkward relationship between us?”

She turned her face towards him and contemplated on the right words to say. Yeah. The Kiss.

“I don’t know about you but I meant what I did that night. I wasn’t caught up in the moment or anything. I just wanted to kiss you because,” Kyungsoo took a deep breath, “I’m in love with you. I have always been and is still am deeply in love with you.”  

He said it. He finally said the words that’s been torturing him ever since he realized his feelings for her was true and genuine. And now the only thing that’s left is what she says next. His eyes were stuck on her surprised expression as he waited.

Jaein on the other hand was shocked… but very happy. Because she has waited for this moment for forever and it seemed like the world has finally decided that she deserved something beautiful in her life.

That something was Do Kyung Soo.

So all she could do was burst into a big but shy smile and embrace him into big warm hug.

“I missed you so much… and I love you too.”

With those words, he hugged her back even tighter and pulled away. He caressed her cheeks with one hand while holding her close to him with the other.

“So is it okay if I…” his eyes looking at hers then down to her lips.

“You don’t even have to ask anymore,” she giggled as he closed the space between them.

Just as they pulled away from each other, the fireworks started and cheers could be heard from the side.

“I knew you could do it hyung!” Sehun yelled as he clapped loudly.

“I guess you owe me 20,000 won then,” Baekhyun said as his hand reached out to Chanyeol.

“This is why you should always listen to me, kids. Good things will happen,” Junmyeon said proudly.

Both Kyungsoo and Jaein were embarrassed but all they could do was laugh with them. She pulled him into another hug and leaned her ear on his chest.

“I guess I have them to thank,” she whispered to him.

“Yup.”

“Let’s grab dinner shall we? I’m starving!” Jongdae announced as he ushered everyone to follow him.  

 


Thank you for those who have waited such a LONG LONG LONG time for this update. I hope you all enjoyed it! I will try my best to add the next chapter as soon as I can. Love you all~ <3