Ch. 3: Thoughts & Advices

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Thoughts & Advices

After returning home, Hwayang spent the rest of the day helping his mother sell her embroidery works. They didn’t make as much money as always, but it was enough to keep them fed. Soon, the tiring day was over and night time came along.

As his parents were already asleep, Hwayang was still in the process of tucking Jooyang in for bed.

“Hyung, what were laughing about before?” the little brother asked.

Hwayang tilted his head. “What do you mean?” he said.

“Before I came out with Mom, I saw you laughing. What were you laughing about?”

At the respond, Hwayang just snicked lightly as he recalled the so-ever-desperate girls.

“I was just laughing about some little birds talking, that’s all,” he said to him.

Jooyang cocked an eyebrow. “Birds can talk?” he innocently asked.

Hwayang laughed again, then shook his head. “No, it’s not that. That’s not what I meant.”

“Then, what is it?”

Hwayang took a breather and sighed. “I just overheard some girls talking about wanting to become princesses. They wanted to marry the Crown Prince and stuff like that. Then, they spoke of befriending his sister just to get close to him.”

“Really? That was it?”

The older brother simply nodded.

“Are they desperate or something?”

Hwayang chuckled and scratched the little guy’s head. “Go to sleep, you squirt.” He got under the covers and slipped an arm behind his head as he slept with his younger brother.

“That would be mean to do, though.”

Hwayang turned and looked at Jooyang, who was cutely pouting without any intention to.

“What would be mean to do?” he asked.

“Befriending the Princess just so they could get the Crown Prince.”

Hwayang looked at Jooyang in awe.

“I bet that would make her feel so sad.”

It amazed Hwayang how his seven-year-old brother could think of such thoughts. Especially of someone who was in a much higher class than them. But not just anyone - the Crown Princess.

Hwayang always heard about her. The flying words around town went through his ears and never left. He listened about how beautiful and elegant she was, how nice, and how smart. She was the most intelligent girl in the world, so he heard.

Though he was aware of all these rumors, he had never met her at all in his life. Who would? He’s a commoner, and she’s a princess. Plus, if he did meet her, he would just probably embarrass himself.

Hwayang played with his younger brother’s hair and stared at him.

“Well, at least it’s not actually happening, right?” he tried to comfort him. “I mean, these girls are commoners just like us. They can’t get into the palace. Even if they do with those motives, they will just lose their heads.”

Jooyang gulped at the scary thought.

Hwayang reassured a warm smile. “Go to sleep now, alright?” Then, he turned a bit and closed his eyes.

“What do you think it’s like?”

And once again, Hwayang was awake due to his curious brother.

“Living in the Flower Palace. What do you think it’s like?” Jooyang asked again as a yawn escaped.

Hwayang sighed, then clicked his tongue. He knew if he told Jooyang to go to sleep, that will only tempt him to stay up. So he spoke.

“I don’t know,” he answered. “But living with such wealth and luxury, people respecting you, delicious food, and infinite gifts and possession… It must feel wonderful. The royal family must get so much prized possessions. They are very damn lucky.”

Suddenly, a soft snore made him turn his head. No other than the little brother was asleep. Hwayang smiled lightly at the sight, then pulled the blanket up to his shoulders.

After doing so, he lay his head back on his arm and gazed at the ceiling, thinking about what he just said.

He had always been envious of the royal family. They were wealthy and held the world in their hands. Although it seemed like a big responsibility, it still looked like a really good life to live.

 

Morning quickly came, and the maids were already awake to go serve the royal family.

Down in the hall, walked the Queen with some maids following behind her for her assistance. She had a mix of an angry and strict expression on her face as she quickly walked to her spouse’s Quarter.

“Queen Shim enters King Han’s Quarter!” the guard outside announced.

She entered t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter