Ch. 22: Envies & Jealousies

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: School has been alright for the past few days :) Taking it easy while searching for colleges and univerisities to attend. ^^ Enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 22: Envies & Jealousies

“Where is Princess Yeonhwa?” Queen Shim asked as the servants brought in her breakfast.

Her personal maid beside her bowed her head lowly. “Princess Yeonhwa has taken off this morning, Your Highness,” she obediently answered.

“Taken off?” Queen Shim turned to her with a cocked brow. “Taken off where?”

“All Her Majesty told me earlier was that she was going to meet a famous scholar today for a new book she was interested in. Dongil-ssi also accompanied her, so she’s not alone.”

A sly scoff flew off the Queen’s lips as she spun her head back to the meal in front of her. After the servants finished setting up her food and bowed fairly, they left. “Well, fine. I guess I can just talk to her later when she comes back.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, Your Highness,” her maid continued. “What did you want to talk to her about?”

Queen Shim sighed, knowing that curiosity ate the young girl. But she didn’t quite mind. Her maid had always been pretty close and loyal to her, so she didn’t think of her as one of those weak servant girls in the palace. Instead, her maid was the opposite. She might appeared like an beautiful, innocent lotus on the outside, but on the inside, she was like a raging fire that was capable of burning the flower.

“I spoke with King Lee yesterday,” Her Highness answered, taking a spoonful of her soup.

“About Princess Yeonhwa, correct?” her maid questioned.

Queen Shim nodded without any hesitance. “He and I have had a conversation about Yeonhwa and his son’s future.”

The maid tilted her head. “What do you mean by that, Your Highness?”

A smirk colored Queen Shim’s lips. “Princess Yeonhwa has reached maturity. Don’t you think she should get ready for her future life?”

Upon realizing what the topic was, the maid nodded her head with a cunning grin. “I absolutely agree, Your Highness. You know what’s best for your daughter so much.”

Queen Shim smiled slyly. “I know, right?” She continued her meal. “Now, all we need is for King Lee’s confirmation that his son agrees to this.”

 

“Dongil Hyung, is that a real sword?” Jooyang asked while walking beside him.

Sighing for the thirteenth time, the bodyguard painfully held back the frustrating urge to hit something. “Yes,” he answered. “This,” he pointed to the weapon strapped to his belt, “is a real sword.”

“May I please hold it?”

“No, you may not.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re too little to handle it.”

“No, I’m not! I’m tall enough to reach your waist!”

“Well, this isn’t something for a child to play with.”

“I’m not a child!”

“Yes, you are, kid.”

“No, I am not!”

“Yes, you are!”

“Am not!”

“You are!”

“Hello?”

Both of the boys didn’t even realize they were in each other’s face with fuming expressions until someone called them. They stepped back from each other and looked ahead to find the Princess and farmboy beside each other, looking at them as if they were crazy. Not only was it them, but some of the folks around were giving glances as well.

“Everything okay?” Yeonhwa asked with a small smile.

Jooyang forgot about Dongil and ran to her. “Yeonhwa Noona!” he cried. “Dongil Hyung won’t let me hold his sword!”

“Hey!” Dongil exclaimed approaching them. “You can’t whine like that!”

Yeonhwa wore a small pout at her bodyguard. “Dongil,” she said. “Be nice.”

Dongil scoffed and looked away.

Hwayang knelt down to Jooyang. “Hey, stop being so rude, will you?” he said genuinely.

Jooyang lowered her head with a sad frown. “But Dongil won’t let me see his sword.”

Hwayang grinned lightly and patted his little brother’s head. “Some people don’t like their stuff being touched, Jooyang. Do you understand that? How would you feel if I touched your spinning tops collection?”

Jooyang’s eyes widened and shook his head immediately. “No, no, no! You’re not allowed to touch them!”

Hwayang snickered. “Exactly.” He ruffled the little guy’s hair. “Now, apologize to Dongil for throwing such a tantrum.”

Obediently, the younger brother turned to the bodyguard, but he wore a frown. “I’m sorry,” Jooyang said with a bow.

A smile scoffed off Dongil’s lips. “Apology accepted,” was all he replied.

Yeonhwa chuckled softly at the cute, funny scene.

Then, they all resumed strolling around the market again.

Hwayang and Jooyang met with Yeonhwa and Dongil this morning when they saw each other wandering around in the village. They didn’t waste time to go and walk around, exploring the happy things in town.

Hwayang and Yeonhwa stayed ahead of Dongil and Jooyang the whole time, having small talks and sharing smiles, avoiding all the eyes were glued to them. They wandered for about half an hour as Jooyang also continuously kept pressing Dongil with random, yet fun questions. Like, where did he come from? Can he ride a horse? Is he rich? Is he Yeonhwa’s slave? Just reckless, simple questions.

“Hwayang,” Yeonhwa softly said as she scooted a little closer to the farmboy.

Turning his head to look at her, he hummed in response.

“Everyone’s looking at us. Why are they looking at us?”

Curiously, Hwayang raised his head and also saw what she caught. The folks in the market were stealing glances at them, but not in a threatening, disgusted way. In fact, their eyes were actually lighting up with enviness.

Wanting her to stay calm and not worry, he quickly found her hand and held it in his palm.

Yeonhwa’s eyes blinked in surprise. “Hwayang.”

“It’s okay,” he assured, gently squeezing her hand. “I think they’re just happy for us.”

“Why?”

Hwayang tried to bite back the excited smile, but he failed to do so. “Because we look like a lovely couple.”

Yeonhwa instantly pinked and looked away as she smiled. Hwayang also grinned happily, still holding her hand in his and walking down the aisle of the market, where everyone was giving them envious looks.

Behind the two, Dongil and Jooyang still strolled along. But Jooyang was too distracted by the awkward, boring atmosphere that h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter