Chapter 1 (Hakyeon/Mr Cha)

Time and Fallen Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART I : THE BEGINNING

 

2106, Korea.

His slumber was disturbed by the sound of steady beeping. He opened his eyes slightly, taking in his surroundings as light entered his eyes. He blinked several times, adjusting his sight to the brightness of the room. His vision moved from the blank ceiling to the name plate placed on the end of the bed,' Cha Hakyeon, Male, 16 ', to the source of the steady yet annoying beeping, a heart rate machine, which displayed the steady pump of his own heart. Which meant he was still alive, fortunately. He unconsciously tugged at the tubes connected to his wrists, wondering if anything would happen if he accidentally tugged too hard.

 

His thoughts trailed into questions. He knew he was in a hospital but why? Did he faint during his dance practice? He remembered feeling a little tired. His train of thoughts were disturbed when the door at the end of the room rolled open, revealing an unknown face of a female carrying a silver tray filled with solutions he didn't know the purpose of but was confidently sure that they were for him. "Oh, you're awake? Had a nice rest?" she asked, her voice soft and sweet. When he didn't answer she just continued her way towards the IV solution bag that was dangling on his left, the sign of her being offended by him ignoring her questions missing behind the smile she had on.

 

She started unwrapping the syringe she brought and the bottle of solution she needed to insert into his IV bag which would eventually enter into his system. He gave her a wary look as she inserted the colourless solution into the syringe and then into the tube of his saline bag, "Don't worry dear, I'm not going to poison you. It's just nutrients for your body since you've been unconscious for quite some time. Don't want such a handsome little boy malnutritioned." she reassured him, her smile never leaving her lips, the action revealed faint lines at the corners of her eyes. She could’ve been around his mother’s age, if she was still alive.

 

After she was done, she tidied up the things on her tray and said, "I'll alert your father that you are conscious okay?" before walking out the door. The room fell silent again. He stared at the IV bag as he could feel the solution slowly entering his system. The door opened. Revealing a tall, sturdy man in his mid-forties. His short cropped hair greying at some places, the grave lines of his face showing signs of old age but overall he still looked handsome, scarily handsome.

 

The man walked towards him and he tried his best to hide the increasing rate of his heartbeat, praying the heart rate monitor wouldn't display the fear he felt. He sat up straighter on his bed and bowed his head slightly.

 

"Are you feeling alright?" he asked, the man's low voice like thunder, rumbled in the silence of the room. His eyes emotionless but his voice filled with concern. Not fatherly concern but the concern of a busy CEO towards his future heir, towards the boy who would grow up and shoulder the weight of a company he spent majority of his life to build.

 

Lines of frustration creased the man’s forehead when Hakyeon didn’t answer. "Answer me boy." the man demanded, his patience obviously wearing thin.

 

Boy. Never my son or Hakyeon.

 

"Fine sir." he answered.

 

Sir. Never dad or father.

 

"Good. You'll be discharged in a week. Your tutor will come tomorrow to continue the lessons you missed in school. I don't need a stupid and incompetent boy as my successor." the man replied before turning his back and walking out the door.

 

Hakyeon felt a pang of pain in his heart, his biological father had no interest in his own well-being. He was supposed to be used to it. His only purpose was to be his successor, a boy related by blood to take over a company which his father would never let someone who has no blood relation to him take. Cha Holdings, Hakyeon's father's most prized possession, not him.

 

All that would be his, but he didn't want it.

 

*****

The door slid open and the nurse from two days ago entered, causing Hakyeon to advert his attention from his story book to her. "Hello again. Feeling better?" she asked, her smile impossible to miss. The most genuine smile Hakyeon's seen in his fifteen years of living which means a lot since most people would smile genuinely at kids but not to Hakyeon. He was always showered with sweet lies and fake smiles because he was the son of a multi-millionaire businessman, the successor to a worldwide company - everyone wanted to get on his good side with the hope of getting something in return. People were dirty and evil that way.

 

He nodded lightly in reply as she came closer to check his vital signs again. "That's good-" she replied, jotting down his results on the board she brought along with her, "I'm Nurse Jung and it's nice to meet you Hakyeon. You seem like a quiet boy but that's okay. If you need anything just press the red button there-" she pointed to the button above his head and Hakyeon's eyes followed the direction her fingers pointed to, "and I'll come as fast as I can. Okay?"

 

 He didn’t understand why she talked to him like she was a five not fifteen, it ticked him off a little but he nodded again just for the sake of it and she smiled in reply. She was about to leave when Hakyeon reached out for her fragile wrist, so thin it felt like it would snap, even w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter