The Im Family

High School Love Story

The door to Nayeon's house creaks as she pushes it open, letting Jungyeon in before she closes the door behind her. It has been a long day for both of them, especially Nayeon since the girl has been in a pretty bad mood because of what happened in Dongdaemun this afternoon.

“Nayeon-ah, you're home? Oh, there's Jungyeon, too. Is she staying over?” A middle-aged woman comes out of the kitchen as she takes off her apron and hangs it by the cupboard. It's Nayeon's stepmother. Seems like she is just done cleaning up, seeing that their house maid also walks out not long after, greeting them then heads to her room after getting the permission from her master.

Nayeon scoffs and rolls her eyes. Ignoring her stepmother, she walks right pass the elder, toward her bedroom. Jungyeon follows suit, bowing slightly to the middle-aged woman who then smiles tiredly at her. This is not a new thing for Jungyeon as she has known Nayeon since they were little. She was there when Nayeon wept to sleep when her mother died in a car accident 5 years ago, she was with her when Nayeon's father remarried 3 years after, and she was also there to watch Nayeon slowly changing into the way she is now.

The girl never liked Mrs. Minhee, her new mother. She hates her and despises her dad for trying to replace her mother in this house. Jungyeon pities the new Mrs. Im, but there is nothing she can do about it. Nayeon does not even listen to her brother when he tried to talk about their new mother with her. What can she possibly do when she is just merely a friend.

Jungyeon drops her body on the sofabed as soon as they arrived in Nayeon's room. She is quite tired dealing with a grumpy girl for the whole day. She actually misses Nayeon, the old Nayeon.

Turning her head to the side, she looks at Nayeon who is heading toward the bathroom. “Don't you think it's time to finally open up to your stepmother? It's been 2 years.” the girl said, making the other stops on her stance. She knows Nayeon will not like it and she is playing with fire.

“Aren't we done talking about me accepting her as my mother? Nobody can replace my mom.” Nayeon said firmly, her tone is full of thorns it makes Jungyeon sigh and shrug.

“Fine then.” The short-haired girl said and turns her body around, grabbing a doll from Nayeon's bed, but not moving from where she is laying down. She hears the bathroom door opens and closes not long after before she then sighs again, closing her eyes.

Nayeon's stepmother is actually a very nice woman. She loves Mr. Im and his children as if they are her own. Her husband died several years before she met Mr. Im, who was mourning from her wife's death, leaving her with no children because she is barrent.

When Mr. Im introduced Mrs. Minhee to Jaebum and Nayeon, the younger went mad. She yelled and snapped at the woman, and didn't want to listen to any explanation. It forced her father to finally land his palm on the girl's cheek and that was when everything went downhill. She turned to hate the man and accused Mrs. Minhee of taking his father's love from her.

She never went to their wedding. It proceed only with Jaebum's blessing, but never Nayeon's. Jungyeon saw how broken and fragile Nayeon was. She was a very bright and warm girl, but circumstances turned her to the way she is now, and Jungyeon really cannot do anything about it.

The sound of water running in the bathroom finally stops and Nayeon comes out not long after. Wearing her sleepwear, she walks to her bestfriend and taps on her arm.

“Jungyeon-ah.. go clean up.” Nayeon said softly as she sits on the edge of the sofabed. She knows she has been tiring the other out for the whole day, but Jungyeon still did not refuse when she asked her to sleep over.

The short-haired girl moves a bit as she opens her eyes and then sits up. Looking at Nayeon, she takes the towel the girl offers and nods a bit. A gentle smile appears on her face, it makes Nayeon soften and smile as well.

“Let me use your shower again.” Jungyeon said as she grins, earning a nod from Nayeon. Standing on her feet, she walks toward the bathroom while Nayeon tucks herself on the bed, drifting off to sleep.

 

A few days has passed by since the incident in Dongdaemun and Nayeon finds herself in Japan for a vacation with her family. Jinyoung also tags along since Jaebum asked him to. It boosts Nayeon's excitement about the trip even only for a bit. At least she has a reason to be happy during their time in Japan, because Jinyoung is with them. It would have been more fun for Nayeon if Jungyeon joined as well, but unfortunately she also has a family summer vacation on the same week.

“Nayeon-ah, we want to go to Shinsaibashi with eomeoni and appa. Do you want to come along?” the said girl lifts her head and looks at her brother who is putting on his jacket. She is dropping by the room her brother and Jinyoung are staying at, since she has a room all for herself and it was boring to be alone. But to her disappointment, Jinyoung has gone out first and both boys will also tag along with the elders.

The girl shakes her head and rolls to lie on her back, letting her head drops on the edge of the bed, looking at Jaebum upside-down. “You know I don't like going around with that woman. I'll just contact Mina to take me around.”

Jaebum sighs softly and walks toward his little sister. Grabbing her wrists, he pulls her up to a sitting position before he sits beside her. “C'mon. Don't you want to hangout with me? Your one and only beloved brother?” the older said with a puppy-eye face. It makes Nayeon laugh and slap the other gently on his arm. Jaebum grins.

“Alright then. But, once we are there we should separate ways with them. Promise?” Nayeon said, lifting her pinky finger for Jaebum, which the other responds by linking theirs together. The girl grins before she pulls Jaebum into a tight hug.

“You're the best!” the older chuckles and pats Nayeon's back gently.

“Go get ready now. I'm pretty sure they're already waiting for us.”

Nayeon then pulls back from the hug and salutes. “Aye aye, captain!” she said and giggles softly before she makes her way out to her own room to get changed.

Jaebum watches as his sister disappear through the door, a gentle smile on his lips. For him, Nayeon is a precious gem he wants to treasure, especially after their mother's death. The both of them are really close with her and he was as broken as Nayeon when the accident happened. But as the oldest, a guy to add to that, he has to be stronger for her and for their father.

It was not easy when his father introduced Mrs. Minhee to them, thinking that she was going to replace his mother. But he knows, his father was lonely and the woman was there to fill his emptiness. So, he gave them his blessing, while Nayeon never wanted to accept her no matter how hard Mrs. Minhee tried and no matter how hard Jaebum tried to explain everything. It is now his job to keep his sister in check and to keep the family together, so Nayeon will not get off his grasp.

Jaebum heaves out a soft sigh before he gets up and heads out to the hotel restaurant. Jinyoung is probably there, having breakfast with his father and stepmother.

“Yo, Jaebum!” Jinyoung called for his friend, waving his hand, as soon as the boy appeared from the restaurant entrance. Jaebum waves back at him and makes his way to the table. His parents are also there.

“Jaebum-ah, go get some food for breakfast.” his father said, patting his back gently, to which Jaebum nods and answers with a polite 'yes!'.

“Where is Nayeon?” It's his stepmother talking this time, and Jaebum points to the entrance with his thumb. “She's getting ready.” He said.

Hearing that, the middle-aged woman brightens. “She is coming with us? Really?” Jaebum smiles awkwardly, knowing his stepmother will be sad with his answer.

“Only until we arrive at Shinsaibashi. She wants to separate ways after.” And just as Jaebum predicted, the light in her face darkens, replaced by a disappointed look. He rubs her back and smiles gently. “Don't be sad, eomeoni. I'm pretty sure she will open up. Maybe not now, but she will.”

The woman smiles and nods lightly. “Thank you, Jaebum-ah. You're really a sweet boy. Your mom must be proud.” the said boy chuckles then hums in response.

Nayeon comes to the restaurant not long after, taking a seat in between Jinyoung and Jaebum, who are almost done eating. She refuses to respond to anything Mrs. Minhee says though, considering that she is not there with them. She even ignores her father once in a while when he starts talking about his wife.

It is until when Jaebum sense the anger building up in his father's heart. The older then stands up and grabs Nayeon's hand, pulling her to sit on a different table from their parents. It startles Nayeon for a bit but she quickly grabs her plate as she is pulled up and off her seat.

Jaebum sighs when he, Jinyoung, and Nayeon are all seated again. Looking at Nayeon, his face clearly shows a great disappointment at his sister, which he quickly brushes off. He then turns his head toward his parents' table and catches his father lets out a long sigh, while his stepmother is trying to calm him down.

“Finish your food now. I'm going to talk to dad for a bit.” Jaebum said, glancing at Nayeon slightly. The girl looks at her brother and nods in response. She knows the older was nearly exploding because of her, but she keeps her ignorant act, being too stubborn to care. She can feel Jaebum's heavy steps toward the other table, even with her head down, focusing her eyes on her plate. Inhaling deeply, she stops the tears that starts to pool on her eyes.

Nayeon knows she is wrong, but she is too unwilling to make everything right, and it makes her frustrated that her conscience does not match her brain. Blinking the invisible tears away, she starts eating again, not even sparing a glance at Jinyoung, who she claimed as her man, acting as if everything is just fine.

It was not long after when the girl hears Jaebum's steps coming closer to their table, but she does not budge. It is Jaebum who breaks the silence on their table once he arrived. The older then smiles softly and ruffles his sister's hair as he is now standing close to her. “Hurry finish your food. We have a train to catch.” Jaebum said, making Nayeon lifts her head to look at him and a sincere smile finally appears on her cloudy face.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------- end of chapter -----------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Hello~ here's a little about Nayeon. Hope you enjoy it.

I just don't want you guys to hate her too much. Haha

Anyway, please comment and don't forget to subscribe!

Toodles~