Chapter 2

Telling her that I love her

 

Pushing open the door, I made my way to the elevator hurriedly, nearly knocking over a potted plant in my way. I punched the ‘up’ button repeatedly as I waited impatiently, watching the red numbers light up. ‘15’…’14’…’13’...’12’…Why is it taking such a long time to arrive?! Aish, hurry, hurry, hurry! I was nearly about to start bashing the elevator doors when they finally opened. I rushed in, this time slamming my fist against the level number ‘4’ in hopes that it would speed up the lift.

Once the doors opened, I sprinted out, turning in the direction of Jessica’s room. I raced down the hallway, with my feet pounding against the carpeted ground. Room 392, Room 394, Room 396, ah, finally. Room 398. My fingers gripped the doorknob. A wave of nervousness washed over me. I had run all the way here, without sparing a thought about what I would actually do when I reached her. She still doesn’t know me. If only she had known what I’d do for her… Hesitantly, I turned it. Locked. Of course, I forgot. Mentally chiding myself, I knocked the door instead.

“Jessica?” I called out softly, hoping that she could hear me. No response. This is killing me, is she alright?!  I resisted the urge to just barge down the door and hold her close to me, and tell her that everything would be okay.

I pulled out my phone, urgently tapping in Jessica’s number into the keypad.

Calling: Jessica^^~

My heart threatened to bruise my ribcage. It was what, 1 in the morning? What if she had gone to sleep already..? She answered the call within the minute, startling me.

An emotionless but slightly coarse “Hello?” greeted me. Her voice scared me. She had been crying. I had never seen Jessica hurt before. She was usually the one comforting people and giving thoughtful advice to them. And now, the just one time that she decided to trust her heart with someone, she got hurt. She had always been the strong one for everyone.

“Jessica? I’m outside your room right now... Could you let me in?”, I answered gently.

I heard what I assumed was a muffled murmur of surprise. The sound of shuffling steps moved towards the door and clicking was heard as Jessica unlocked the door and gingerly pushed it open. No amount of thought beforehand could have prepared me to see Jessica’s tear-stained face, her messed up hair, the way she looked as if she had locked herself up in a box and threw the key away. I felt a stabbing sensation in my heart as I realised how hurt and messed up she actually was, the calm she portrayed in her messages basically non-existent. Basically, seeing her like this not only broke my heart, it tore my heart into a million pieces. I swore that I would never allow her to be like this again, ever.