Friends?

The Painter and Gisaeng (화공 와 기생)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Earlier

              “Iriwa,” Jeonha commanded. His servant approaches him.

              “Ye, Jeonha..?”

              “Bring me that painting.”

              “Which one, Jeonha..?”

              “That painting. The one that Mama is enraged about.”

              “Ah. Ye, Jeonha…”

 

              The servant leaves the king’s quarters to obtain the painting. Jeonha scratches his beard, thinking. “Why is she so upset from one painting?” he thought.

 

              Moments later, the servant arrives with the painting and hands it to him with two hands. “Jeonha…”

 

              “Sugo haesseo,” his highness replies.

 

              The servant bows and moves backward, giving him space. He quickly unrolls the painting and observes it. “Hmm,” he says. “This is a magnificent painting. Just wha—” Then he spots something. Something very important. Painted under the woman’s ear was a red birthmark. “Mama..?” he thought. He signals for his servant to come to him.

 

              “Ye, Jeonha?”

              “Is this a painting of Mama?”

              “Ye, Jeonha…” he quickly answered.

              “You knew?” His Highness asked, raising an eyebrow. The servant leaned toward him half way.

              “May I?” he asked. Jeonha nodded.

 

              The servant leaned in all the way and whispered, “Mama requested that we keep this from you.” His suspicions were answered. He stood up.

 

              “We leave to The Queen’s quarters. Now.” Before he can take anymore steps, his servant spoke up.

              “Jeo-Jeonha,” he said. “Mama is at the Dohwaseo officials’ building.” The King turned around.

              “Wae?”

              “She is punishing the painter who painted her.” The King looked up, shocked.

              “Gaja!”

 

 

 

              Mama sat inside the Dohwaseo officials’ building by the window. She saw the struggle between Henry and Amber. Scoffing, she said, “Brothers…” Just then, her servant shouts from the other side of the room.

 

              “His Highness has arrived!”

 

              She turns around, shoulders tense. Jeonha walks through the door and bows his head down, smiling. “Mama.” She awkwardly smiles and they sit. He quickly gets to the point and pulls out the painting. “Why didn’t you tell me about this, Mama?”

 

              She averts her eyes from his and thinks of an excuse. “I didn’t want to worry you. I can take care of business, too, Jeonha.”

 

              He laughs and points to her ear. “You know, Mama,” he said. “Abeoji always said your birthmark was beautiful.” Then he points to the painting. “Don’t you think that this painter was very accurate and descriptive with his painting?” She sits, speechless. The King lets out a short laugh.

 

 

 

Present

              “Jamsimanyo!!!” Jeonha’s servant shouted from behind the officials.

 

              Everyone froze and gave their attention to him. The executor was thrown off from the sudden shouting and swung just a few centimeters away from the rope, missing. Henry slowly opened one eye and then both, exhaling. The King walked out from behind his servant and everyone kneeled. “Message from His Highness,” the servant said. He walked down the stairs and looked over at Henry. Then at the executor. Then at the students. And back at the Dohwaseo officials. He clears his throat.

 

              “Release him,” he said, pointing to Henry. “This sentencing is revoked.” He signals for his servant.

 

Before they leave, he turns around. “And young man,” he says, facing Henry. “You’re exiled from Dohwaseo… That’s the best I can do.” He leaves Dohwaseo via carriage. Everyone stands up from kneeling, shocked and confused. Lee Soo-man seonsaengnim runs over to Henry and bends over.

 

              “Gwaenchanha?” he asked. Henry nodded. “What are you doing?” he shouted at the executor and guards. “Untie him right now!”

 

              They rush over and untie Henry, then helped him up. Kai’s father scoffs and the officials and everyone disperses. Some students stay behind and watch until the end. Henry thanks Lee Soo-man seonsaengnim and runs out the gates. He turns left, no Amber. Then right. He sees Amber curled up against the wall with his head down. “Dongsaeng-ah~” he says, smiling. Amber looks up.

 

              “Hyung?”

 

              Henry raises both of his hands up and wriggles them, showing Amber that nothing happened.

 

              “What happened? How—” Amber stops, wipes away a tear and hugs Henry.

              “I’m OK!” Henry says, pulling Amber away. He starts laughing.

              “Ya!” Amber punches him on the arm. “Do you think this is a laughing matter? How can you laugh right now!”

              “Ya~” Henry replies, ruffling Amber’s hair. “I’m OK…” Amber glares at him. “Hey, I gotta go for now.” He runs off. “Everything will be okay!” he shouts from a distance.

 

              Amber quietly follows his hyung, skeptical of his words. They end up inside the officials’ building. Amber stands outside one of the rooms Henry entered, eavesdropping.

 

              “Seonsaengnim,” Henry says. Lee Soo-man signals for him to sit.

              “Henry,” he replies. “You know you have to go, right?”

              “Go?” Amber thought.

              “Ye,  seonsaengnim. I will. When do I—”

              “Immediately,” Lee Soo-man quietly said. “Jeonha’s o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter