CHAPTER FOUR: Winter’s Fire

Ivy

Hoshi’s POV

 

After hurting Ivy, I didn't know what else to do. I felt so ashamed that I hid in a dark corner, behind a brick wall. Now that Ivy doesn't see me, I watch over her in guilt. “I'm sorry, Ivy,” I whisper.

 

Watching her cry made my heart ache. I wanted to come back and tell her that everything wasn't a lie and that I felt something too; however, I know that he's watching. You know what? I don't care. I'll help my sister in another way – a less cruel method.

 

I take a step out, but it was too late. Shortly after, I saw a black Camaro pull up, he covered my mouth and violently jerked me away. “If you say anything, kiddo, I will not give you your money. And your sister? You better take good care of her, because if you don't I will – my way.” I shudder as I motion a fearful “yes.”

 

I wrenched in excruciating pain as his tight grip enveloped my arms and chest. He slapped tape onto my mouth to keep me from crying for help. While I struggle to escape, I see Baekhyun come out of the car and touch Ivy. How dare he touch her? Is he trying to comfort her? I should be the one carrying her to safety. As I see her weep in Baekhyun’s arms, a thunderous tear rolled down my face. That should be me. Silently, I scream.

 

***

 

Ivy’s POV

 

Waiting for Baekhyun, I sit comfortably on his living room couch. Amazed, I look around and see a horde of awards – trophies, medals, plaques – that barely fit in the apartment. Whoever owns all these must be extremely talented. There seem to be more trophies here than at the school!

 

From a far distance, I sniff a rich, mouthwatering scent. Baekhyun strolls in with a bowl filled with chicken porridge. He plops down next to me and explains, “You might catch a cold from all the rain, so I made you something warm.” Astonished at his unexpected gesture, I thanked him, blushing.

 

Out of nowhere, Baek took the spoon and started feeding me. What does he think he’s doing? I'm not a child! “If you're spoon feeding me,” I grab the spoon from his sculpted hands and suggest, “no need. I'm eighteen, thank you very much.” He smiled. “Sorry, miss sassafras.”

 

“Don't you mean sassy?”

 

“Nah. I'll call you sassafras. Purifying, but deadly.” My eyes shoot at him like lasers. He pretended to jump back and joked, “Calm down, sassafras. Just taste the porridge already!” I slowly turn my head back to the porridge and take a sip. How can this be? It's so appetizing that I'm convinced that my palate was cleansed by the Angels above. Did he cook this himself? He smirks, “It’s my mom’s recipe. I cooked it myself, but I'm sure it doesn't taste as good as the original.” How humble of him. “It's delicious, thank you.” We both grin.

 

“I'll be back! Just wait here.” He enters another room and brings out a blanket. “If you're cold.” Speechless. I'm just speechless. What happened to the snobby Baekhyun? Is this a twin I don't know about? He wraps the blanket around me. I feel the warmth of his delicate fingers slide around my cold neck – it's so pleasing.

 

Once again, he sits beside me and stares. His fingers extend towards my hair; however, I turn, avoiding his touch. Attempting to relieve the tension, I question him. “Do all these trophies belong to you?”

 

“Well, almost half of them.”

 

“What about the other half?” Baekhyun briefly replies, “Hoshi's.”

 

Oh, right. They're half-brothers. “He lives here too? What about your parents?” I ask. Baek leans back and sighs, “Yeah, we have the same father, but he passed away a couple of years ago. My mom left to find a career abroad, and Hoshi's mom rarely visits. I think the last time we saw her was when we were in elementary school. We also have a little sister, Mijoo. She was quite the prankster.” Holy cow, their family tree is insane. A plethora of facts uncovered in just one moment. “‘Was’ you say? What happened to your sister?”

 

“Mijoo...Our little Mijoo. She used to be the light in our family – she still is. Don't get me wrong, but, right now, she's in critical condition. A few years ago, we were killing time at the beach when Mijoo, Hoshi and I stumbled upon a cave. Hoshi conjured up unbelievable tales and…”

 

*Flashback*

 

“Ten-thousand years ago, there was a beautiful princess who lived in this very cave and her name was...Mijoo.” Laugh abounded. “But Hoshi, that's my name!” Mijoo giggles. Hoshi intentionally ignored Mijoo’s statement and continued, “She had long, luscious black hair, dark eyes and – wait a minute! She looked a lot like…Baekhyun.” Hoshi runs for his life. “What did you say?! Oh, you're dead meat.” Mijoo laughs hysterically, watching her brothers chase one another.

 

Once the two returned to the cave, they notice Mijoo was gone. “Mijoo? Mijoo! Where are you?!” Baekhyun cried. Hoshi couldn't say a word as he panicked. Alarmed, Hoshi scurried around the cave searching for traces of Mijoo. “Ahh!” Both brothers hear a desperate scream coming from inside the cave. “Mijoo!” Hoshi exclaims. They run into the cave and see a dark shadow tiny in comparison to a monstrous silhouette hovering over. Hoshi comes closer and witnesses a horrendous view. Attacking Mijoo’s frail body, was a terrifyingly large bear.

 

*Present*

 

“We ran in to save her,” Baekhyun resumes after a long pause, “but it was too late. Although Mijoo didn't die, she's in a coma. I wish she didn't have to suffer, though.” We stay silent. Every breath, every movement, every detectable sound – nonexistent.

 

After a few minutes, I grab my belongings and stand. “Thanks, Baek. I loved every bit of tonight, or at least, once you came.”

 

“Don't leave! I know this sounds desperate, but I'm a tad lonely at this time. Hoshi usually doesn't come until morning, so I would like it if you…kept me company. Even just for a few hours. We could chat and watch movies. How does that sound?” I hesitate. “Two hours?” I suggest. He nods, “I’d appreciate it.”

 

Curious about his unstable attitude, I ask him, “Why were you such a jerk?”

 

“I…” he pauses, “don't like people watching me practice.” Is he serious? That was the reason? “I know it doesn't sound like much of an excuse, but I get panic attacks while preparing for anything. It all started in middle school when people started to acknowledge my football skills. I'm not trying to brag – that's not the case at all. Honestly, I wasn't even that great. Sure, I knew all the plays and tricks, but that was all because I always practiced more than the rest. In fact, I still do. For some reason, I always do terrible during practice, but for the real game I perform like a natural. I guess that's why they say practice makes perfect. Now, everyone see’s me as just that - ‘perfect’. Due to this, however, I feel the burden of living up to their expectations. That's why I don't want anyone to see me practice. I try to hide my flaws.” His eyes maneuver to the floor. I never thought Baekhyun could be so...sensitive. “Your flaws are perfect,” I assure him.

 

He looks up and doesn't say a word. My heart starts to tick like a bomb, ready to explode. I close my eyes in anticipation. He leans in and pecks my lips. Peck after peck, he repeatedly teases until his pecks evolve into a passionate tug. Taking turns, we both pull at each other’s lip. He takes off my blanket and topples over me. This is too much. I ever-so-gently push away and propose, “How about those movies?” He nervously laughs, “Oh yeah. Sorry. I'll go get the remote.” I've never felt more heated in my life. Excluding earlier today when--No, let's forget about that.

 

He turns on the T.V. and flips to Netflix. So is this what he was aiming for? Netflix and chill? “What do you wanna watch?” Baek asks.

 

“Let's watch that one!” I point to one that has a cute-looking thumbnail with the title Playful Kiss. Baek whines, “Are you serious?! Hoshi probably watched that a thousand times already.” Hoshi? He would watch something like this? How cute of him. “He has good taste.” I scorn.

 

“Alright. We’ll watch it.” Baekhyun grumbles. “Turn your phone off while we’re at it. I don't want any  disturbances.” He sure is moody today. I silence my phone and joke, “Are you on your period?” He scoffs, “Are you talking about yourself? Playing with two guys in one day is, definitely, not due to a war of hormones, is it?” Did he see me kiss Hoshi? Agh! My cheeks are burning up. I probably come off as a boy-crazy , don't I? His obnoxious laugh ticks me off.

 

As a comeback, I whispered right into his ear, “His kiss was better.” That certainly shut him up. Thank goodness!

 

As we sit on the couch watching the main couple bicker, I'm reminded of how my relationship with the two guys is similar. We fight, we make up. We act like there's nothing, but there's obviously something. But who, exactly, do I have that something with? Hoshi's sharp words stabbed through my heart like a dagger, but all the positive memories stitch the wound back up. I'm still infuriated with Soonyoung, but I feel like something is off.

 

And Baekhyun? I don't know. What happened was just…teenagers being teenagers. It was thrilling, but we barely know each other. In fact, I don't even know Hoshi. Now, I realize that I need to get my priorities straight. While spending all of this time with guys I barely even know, I’ve forgotten that I have a past that I need to retain. Starting tomorrow, I will stop this nonsense and get back to business. But for now…

 

I'll just…

 

Drift…

 

...Zzz…


 

“Don't wake her up.”

 

“No, we need to wake her up. What if someone is looking for her?”

 

“It's three in the morning Hosh. No one is awake at this time.”

 

“Okay. Leave her. But you're sleeping in your room. I have no idea what you did last night, but, whatever it is, you're dead.”

 

“Oh, you don't want to know what we did last night, but you better be thankful I didn't tell her your secret before you completed your plan.”

 

I hear Baekhyun and Hoshi mumble back and forth. Am I dreaming? It seems important, but…

 

my eyes…

 

keep…

 

closing…

 

...Zzz...

 

***

 

I wake up and check the clock which reads 7:15 AM. It's time for school! Ready for the day, I sit up. Oh . I scan the room and realize I’m still at Baek’s place. This isn't the living room, though…I study the queen size bed and see tousled hair peeping out of the blue sheets. Quickly. I pull back the blanket and witness a shirtless Soonyoung lying beside me in bed!

 

“What the…Hoshi?!”  I scream and roll out of bed. Ouch. I land on a bony, yet muscular structure which happened to be Baekhyun. “Ow…” He groans as he wakes up. Sleeping in a room with two guys? This is not me. I run out the door and check my phone.

 

58 missed calls.

 

All from Kwangsoo. I am so screwed.