CHAPTER THREE: Two-faced

Ivy

His dimples, seductive smile, and alluring eyes are so captivating. Whenever he writes on the whiteboard, I envy the marker; it's so lucky to be touched by Mr. L.

 

“I wish I was that marker,” I sigh.

 

Heads turn in my direction. Shoot. I should've kept it to myself. At the corner of my eye, I notice Hoshi’s deep sigh. Directly in front, Baekhyun abruptly scoots his chair away from me. Gosh. They don't have to make their disapproval so obvious!

 

Mr. L seemed to grasp the situation. Step by step, he marched. No, please no. The closer he gets, the further I submerge into my seat.

 

“I think I heard something from a distance. Did it have to do with my marker?” Please stop smirking. You're a freaking math teacher! “No, sir.” He bobs his head once and returns to the front of the room. “From now on, no distractions. Although, there are some distractions that can't be helped.” Is Mr. L referring to himself? Because damn, I can't take my eyes off him.

 

At the bell, Hoshi and Baekhyun jump out of their seats. Their slumped shoulders pop up and they hurry towards the exit. Yein also seemed quite cheery – every step exploding with joy. Huh. What are they so hyped about? Yeah, it is the end of school, but they seem extra amped for something.

 

Hoshi’s POV

 

It's okay…She’ll forgive you, right? I know this is wrong, but I need the money. Your sister Hosh…Don't forget your sister – she’s more important than a passing heartbreak.

 

When is she going to come out? The game will start in thirty minutes…I’ll just take a peek back in.  

 

What is that? Is that Mr. L and Ivy…Flirting after class? No, no way. That's definitely not it. I mean…It could mean a lot of things. Ivy was obviously distracted by him the whole class…What's wrong with her?! He's like 7 years older. He probably caught on to her goggling over him. No wonder she's getting scolded. She- wait.

 

Are they laughing? No, no. I don't care. I don't really like Ivy. It's just for your sister, Soonyoung. Don't put Hoshi’s life first. Don't put on a show and believe it's real. Never fall for it Hosh. Never fall for Ivy.

 

“What are you doing out here? I thought you left!” Ivy. How could her eyes glisten so brightly? What? No, I need to stop. Don't fall for it. Just pretend. “What were you doing flirting with Mr. L?” She scoffs at my question, “What do you mean flirting? That's just crazy Hosh. You're crazy.” I know and I'm sorry, but this is for the best. “You know what would be crazy?” I pin her to the wall and lean in. Her fluttery eyes grow wide and I could hear her gulp in nervousness. Stop. Stop beating! My heart just wants to explode...But I won't allow it. Endure this…Do not fall in love. Closer...Go closer. She’ll fall for you. Just don't do the same.

 

Ivy’s POV

 

Why does he always do this? He's too close for me to handle. No, he's not. I can just push away. I can…But I don't want to. “NO!” I shove him aside.

 

“What was that? You don't want a kiss? Okay…I guess we’ll have to save it for the game.” He winks, then clasps my hand. I want to let go, but every time I struggle to escape, his grip tightens and we gravitate closer. I stare right into his eyes and...

 

Hoshi's POV

 

She stared right into my eyes. Her puppy-like pout is so cute. I guess I could be a little less aggressive. I know I'll hurt her later, so why should I hurt her now? I loosen my grip and the corners of my lips involuntarily curl up. I really wish I could keep her...as a friend after this.

 

***

 

Ivy’s POV

 

I felt the aggression in his hands ease up. Interesting – he has some consideration after all. We’re here. My head turns scanning the organized chaos. The whole student body gathered to cheer on the football team. This is truly a school full of spirit.

 

“Isn't it amazing?” Hoshi geeks out.

 

“Not as amazing as your dorky smile.” I laugh. Instead, Hosh didn't react that much. His smile just faded away and he continued walking. “What's wrong with you, Hosh?”  

 

“I-I...I wanted to tell you-” Baekhyun jumps in. “Hey, Hosh.”

 

Hoshi pushes me behind him and whispers, “What are you doing, Baek?” Then his volume increases as he says, “Aren't you supposed to be warming up? We’re counting on you.”

 

“You know why I'm here. I need to warn Ivy-” Warn me?

 

“No, Baek. If you knew why I'm doing this, you'd understand.” Understand what? Baekhyun zips up and walks away.

 

I feel  something wrong. The ominous air drowns the game in dreariness. All of a sudden, Hoshi energetically leaped, “Why so serious?” He starts dancing like SHINee and then drags me to the football stands. “Ivy, you should enjoy your first game,” he says cutely.

 

“Why are you acting like this?”

 

“Because right now, I'm Kwon Soonyoung.” He lightly pounds on my shoulders. This is too much aegyo. “Soonyoung makes me cringe.” I joke.

 

He attempts to say in a baby voice, “Well, you better get used to it. Hehehe.” Oh gosh…It is pretty adorable, though.

 

“Ten minutes ‘till the start,” the announcer broadcasts. “Are you all ready to roast BACON?” That's odd. “Soon, what's ‘Bacon’?”

 

“Baek’s nickname. All the top representatives of the school have one. Mine is 10:10.” A...time? “Why?”

 

“Because of my slanted eyes,” he shows the diagonal of his eyes with his fingers. “See? Aren't they cute?” This boy… “Cute my .” I giggle.

 

Baekhyun’s POV

 

The game is about to start. Is she watching? Not that I care or anything. I just want everyone to end up seeing my potential. This will probably help her understand why I was mad during practice.

 

I scan through the stands. “Who are you looking for?” My teammate, Chanyeol, asks. “Huh? No one.” He his eyebrow, “Are you sure about that?” Can he mind his own business?

 

There she is! Chanyeol utters, “Where did that smile come from?” Did I smile? Oh. I'll just say the truth. Reverse psychology, you know?  “Maybe it's that ‘someone’ I'm looking for.” He pounds on my shoulder in a cute way, “Ooh. Bacon found his eggs!” Ugh. I didn't think he'd take it literally.

 

Why of all people, she has to watch my game with Soonyoung? That boy needs to stop playing his game. I definitely overheard something…

 

Is she looking at me? And smiling?! I wave over to her but…Soonyoung grasps her face and – Kisses her.

 

“Baekhyun, get on the field! The game is starting.”

 

Ivy’s POV

 

How can his lips…

 

*breathe*

 

Be so…

 

Luscious.

 

“Hoshi.” I sigh out.

 

“Ivy.” He replies.

 

We continue, not caring about any of the attention around us.

 

Could it be… Am I falling for him?

 

Yes, regrettably, I did. I fell so damn hard. Please, save me.

 

Hoshi's POV

 

I feel so bad, but it feels so good. I run my fingers through her luscious locks. Aggressively, I devour her lips. It tastes like strawberry with a hint of lemon and sugar. I want to stop time and luxuriate in this kiss. Unfortunately, that isn’t a part of the deal.

 

“And to the right,” the announcer blares. “Are two young lovebirds sharing their first kiss.” Oh no. I quickly back away and realize we were on the jumbotron. I try to cover Ivy’s identity with my body. This won't be good.

 

Ivy’s POV

 

What...Was that? I swear I just saw us on the Jumbotron. “What are you doing, Hosh?”

 

He shakes, “It's for you.”

 

“For me?” I try to peek at the large screen, but then he scoots me back, away from the camera. “Don't let others know.”

 

“Know what? Know that we kissed? Are you embarrassed by me?”

 

His eyes rapidly flicker from side to side. “No, it's not that. Look. Just wear my jacket and come with me. Hide your face.” He covers my face with the large hood and guides me out of sight. As I walk away, I hear the announcer’s voice report, “Oh, too bad. Baekhyun doesn't seem to be in a good condition folks. This could be the first loss for the Nopbeom football team in nearly four years!” Hoshi and I look back. His face seems to be in shock. “What's wrong Hosh?”

 

“Baek doesn't usually do that horrible.” Maybe he's not feeling well. Did he see something? Could it be because…? No. He couldn't have seen it. And if he did, he wouldn't have cared anyways.

 

“Follow me, Ivy. I need to take you somewhere.” What could he be up to now? I just cooperate and follow his lead. Hoshi glances at me and mutters, “Just remember. Everything I did is for a reason. Whether you forgive me or not, I hope you understand.” A few seconds later, we stop under a street light in the dark. “We’re here.”

 

Hoshi pulls me close, then pecks me on the cheek. He takes back the jacket he lent to me, and starts, “Ivy, you liked it, right? You liked me.” I hesitate to answer. “Yes.” He nods and says, “Of course.” Is he trying to come off as narcissistic or…?

 

“I'm sorry, but I don't like you. I was just playing around. That kiss, those jokes,” He chokes on his own words, “everything. It was all fake.” No, no this can't be. Why would he do this? It must be a prank. “No, Hosh you're lying, aren't you? I'd believe that some of it were fake, but that kiss...That kiss was real wasn't it.” He hesitates. “No. I didn't feel anything.” In an instant, I feel my eyes water. As the tears fell, so did my soul. I couldn’t say a word. I could see his hand reaching out to wipe my tears, but then he retreats. He left me under a streetlight – alone, weeping.

 

“Hello? *sniffle* Is anyone out there?” I repeatedly call for help. I have no idea where I am or what to do. I attempt to use my phone, but there isn't any signal. Without any hope, I lean against the lamppost and slide down, curling up. A powerful flow of tears run down my face. Unanticipatedly, rain begins to pour down. Without contrast, my tears and the rain are indistinguishable. I’m not sure if tears are falling down my face, but I undeniably feel the pain in my chest.  

 

Out of the blue, lights shine through the pounding rain. A black sports car comes to a halt; strangely, right in front of me. A man gets out of the car with an umbrella. I notice his wardrobe and realize, it's not just a man. It's number forty-eight – Baekhyun.

 

He picks me up and throws me onto his shoulder. “Hey! Put me down!” I command. He stays silent. Baek opens the passenger door and slides me in, helping me with my seatbelt. He walks around the car, occupies his seat, and takes off in silence.

 

We arrive at an apartment complex. Outside in the storm, we take a long look at each other. Baekhyun mutters, “You’ve been crying, haven't you?” His words broke me. I realized I was hurt, and I couldn't do anything about it. Words wouldn't come out of my mouth, so I just bawled and leaned into his chest. I felt his hand support the back of my head as he spoke comforting words, “I'm here.”