CHAPTER TWO: Men, Oh’s and Pauses.

Ivy

“I figured that you'd need a ride back. I'm glad I caught you on time.” Once again, he fixes his helmet onto my head and gently clicks the straps together. “I can put the helmet on myself, you know.” He giggles and pecks the helmet. I try to act calm and collected, but honestly, I feel the complete opposite. Everything he does creates a shiver down my spine. He can be too straightforward at times, but he's also kind of sweet.

 

We both sit the same way on the motorcycle. My arms around his waist, while I lean on his back. It feels like heaven.

 

When we arrived, Soon took off my helmet and combed back my hair with his soothing fingers. I step away; perhaps because I don't want him. On the other hand, it could be because I do. His face grows with disappointment. “Can I at least you to your door?” he pleads. “Sure. Don't hold my hands, though. Just…Follow me.”

 

He does as he's told and trails behind me. I walk slowly, continually thinking about what he could possibly be doing back there. I peek towards the side and see him staring right at me. Cocoons in my stomach broke out into a swarm of butterflies. My nerves were at an ultimate high, causing me to walk faster.

 

“Watch out!” Watch out for what? Kerplunk! So this is what…I fell right into a puddle of mud. Soon’s laugh echoed throughout the whole neighborhood and continued on for about, well, I don't know... A whole century or so? Seems about right. “Well, thanks for helping me up.” Sarcasm at its finest.

 

“No, sorry. Here, I'll help you up.” He reaches out his hand to assist me. “You know what would be fun?” I tease. He an eyebrow and asks, “What? Don't tell me-”

 

“If you were drenched with me!” I pull him in and flip him around so that he's bathing in mud. “Hey! This was my favorite shirt!” he jokes. We laugh like maniacs until we notice our exceptionally close distance. On top of him, I stare straight down into his eyes, discovering a window to his bright soul. His eyes wander up and down my face as he breathes, “You're beautiful.”

 

Unaware of my actions, bit by bit, I lean down towards his lips. I stop myself at the sound of a creaking door. “Who's there?” I heard Kwangsoo’s voice echo through. “Is it Ivy? I've been looking for you! Where are you?” I climb off Soon and quickly stand up. “I'm here!” I stupidly announce. Soon nervously followed, “Aha. Me too.” Surprised, Kwangsoo’s eyes widened with rage.

 

“What are you doing soaked? And with a boy?! Who even is this guy?” Kwangsoo took off one of his slippers and advanced towards Soon. “Come here boy! Don't play around.” Oh gosh. This isn't going to end well. Kwangsoo advances, “Boy! Don't mess with me!” I see Soon’s bright face become dark as Kwangsoo progresses closer. “Here! I'll hit you with my shoe if you don't apologize correctly!” Soon tries to explain, but Kwangsoo tuned out all of his cries. I warn Soon to run, so as quick as lightning, he sprints for his life. The last words I’m able to catch are, “You can run, but you can't hide, you nasty.”

 

***

 

While I slouch on a large, leather couch, Kwangsoo paces back and forth with a slipper in his hand. “Ivy, what were you up to? I leave you for a couple of hours and you go missing. Then you return covered in mud with some...boy! I don't know what to tell Dr. Ahn. Maybe this experiment wasn't a good idea.” He's just over-exaggerating. That “boy” wasn't going to do anything harmful to me anyways; he helped me the way Kwangsoo was supposed to. Plus, I had my reasons for leaving. “Listen, Kwangsoo. Who was the one that left me when we had so much to do? I merely followed Dr. Ahn’s instructions and filled out a school application.”

 

“Okay, I admit my fault, but either way, it's  dangerous! If something happened to you, it would've been because of me. I would've never forgiven myself. Next time, just wait for me. There are many opportunities to apply throughout the year.” He's got a point. “I understand.” He sits next to me and pats my back. Kwangsoo sure is protective, although it's somewhat satisfying to know that there's someone watching over me.

 

I start to ponder on how to make sure this situation wouldn't happen again. Possibly, long-distance communication was the problem. If I could have called him, none of today’s events would've happened. “I've been thinking, is there any way that I could contact you while you're gone?”

 

“Oh, yes. That's right. My boss gave me a cellphone to give you. It already has my number and everything. It's kind of behind its time, but I'm certain you'll figure it out. You'll love it!” Kwangsoo pulls out a small, round flip phone with a large antenna sticking out. “Um…Thanks.” I try to hide my disappointment with a fake smile. This phone is ancient! He smiles and cheesily motions two thumbs up. Man, this guy is unbelievable.

 

“Come with me. I'll show you your room.” Kwangsoo orders. I follow hoping it's the one with the king size bed and mini fridge. We climb up the ornate spiral stairway that leads to the second-floor hallway. Eyeing the master bedroom, I start to gravitate closer. “Wrong way! That's my bedroom.” Kwangsoo informs. Should have known.

 

We continue walking towards the dark end of the corridor. Kwangsoo takes out a bright flashlight then hands it to me, “You'll need it.” Why would I need a flashlight? Kwangsoo assures me, “This is for the best. Especially due to the behavior I witnessed today, you will do better safe down here.” He twists the rusty doorknob and the door creaks open. We cautiously make our way down a short set of stairs then come across a concealed basement. “Welcome to your new room, Ivy.”

 

I scan the room in disgust. Not trying to be picky or anything, but the room shouldn't even exist in this type of house. There are spiderwebs in each corner, termites roaming the floor, mold-filled crevices, and unknown specimen crawling up the walls. Shivers shoot up my spine, giving me goosebumps. “Why is it so glum? I thought I'd have a decent room, at least.” Kwangsoo side-eyes me and scorns, “Be grateful that you have a room. I was planning on making you sleep in my closet.” Sheesh. Fatherly at one point, selfish the next.

 

Kwangsoo shuts the door and leaves me with a flashlight. Are there no lights in here? I examine the walls for a light switch, and there is no sign of anything that could brighten up the room. I do notice, however, a polished suitcase. It doesn't seem like it was in here for a long time, so I imagine that Kwangsoo or Dr. Ahn left it in here for me. I crack open the case and find piles of attire: plain t-shirts and beige pants. How boring is this? I shut it closed and leap onto the aged bed.

 

Laying there seemed to be the only thing I could do. I stare straight up at the ceiling and reflect on the past day. I lost all knowledge about myself, got into trouble, and met a couple of guys…Handsome ones at that. Leo and Dr. Ahn are chill guys. After talking to them, I feel some sort of tranquility. On the other hand, Kwangsoo has been getting on my last nerves. First, abandoning me at an unfamiliar house, then dumping me into this bugs’ nest? Similarly, Baekhyun’s pitiless attitude makes me want to sink into an endless hole of isolation. To think I admired his “charisma” on the football field. He does have striking facial features and an attractive build but- what am I saying? He's a jerk. I'll leave it at that. And Soon? Well, I don't know. The motorcycle rides...That moment in the muddy ditch when I almost- no, Ivy. I didn't mean to lean closer. I was just tired and confused. His personality – unreasonably blunt – isn't my type anyways. I wonder if Kwangsoo ended up beating him with his slipper...

 

Speaking of Kwangsoo, what's he up to? He’s probably enjoying his new room – the one I wanted. You know what? Why don't we have a little fun and text him using this century-old gadget? I open up the bulky device and find two numbers on my phone: Kwangsoo’s and Dr. Ahn’s. I click on Kwangsoo’s name and type in, “What's up ‘Prince of Asia’? Or should I say giraffe? Enjoying that bedroom of yours?”

 

After a few seconds, I hear a ding resonate from the phone.

 

Kwangsoo: I see you have acknowledged my prince title. I'm not doing much, little brat.^.^ Just eating some strawberries with honey – Delicious.

 

Little brat? You want a brat? Oh, I'll give you one. I send back a “:)” and follow with “You haven't seen all of me, yet.”

 

Kwangsoo: If you text me one more sassy text, you better watch out, or else.

 

“Or else” what? He’ll threaten to hit me with his slippers? Just to annoy him even further, I reply with a simple “K.” A few moments later, I hear an approaching stomp. Kwangsoo storms in and smashes a raw egg onto my forehead, “That's what you get!” After gasping, I burst into a frenzied laughter. He heavily pants, then manages to display an embarrassed grin. “You want to laugh? Okay, I'll make you laugh!” He stretches towards me and tickles my ribs, intensifying my laughter.

 

“I can't,” I try to push through my cackling voice. “Breathe!”

 

This unending fun fest continues on for several minutes until we both lay on the bed, exhausted. “You know Ivy? You're not so bad. I used to have a younger cousin that you remind me of – mischievous, yet fun to joke around with.” Surprised, my mouth gaped wide open. Then at the realization of what he just said, my facial expression fills with sympathy. “What happened to your cousin?” Kwangsoo sighs, “No one really knows. The last time I saw her was ten years ago at a boarding dock. We waved each other goodbye as her cruise ship sailed away. After that, her body was found five days after on that same shore. There's no explanation. Oddly enough, she was the only victim from the ship.”

 

His eyes start to tear up, so I wiped them away. “I'm sorry for you and your cousin.” With effort, the corners of his mouth lifted. He abruptly got off the bed. “It was nice talking to you, Ivy. Get a good night’s rest. I heard that your first day of school is tomorrow.” I nodded then fell into a sea of dreams.

 

***

 

Beep! Beep! Beep!

 

The alarm’s cry bounced off the walls. I rolled off my bed and dragged myself towards the deafening sound. I turn the alarm off and lay in a fetus position on the floor. “Wakey, wakey! It's your first day of school. You don't want to be late, do you?” Kwangsoo barges in grabs some clothes from the suitcase and drags me to the bathroom. “Okay, okay! Let me be, please! You're not going to help me shower, are you?” He backs off and flashes a sassy pout.

 

After taking a shower, throwing on my clothes and eating breakfast, Kwangsoo and I head out the door. Along the ride, we decide to listen to some songs on the radio. The first song constantly repeated ring ding dong throughout the whole chorus. It was a catchy tune, so I picked up the lyrics fairly quickly. Afterward, a pleasant strum purified my ears. A clear voice slithered in, creating a calming melody. The lyrics read,

 

Lovingly, caringly I will be.

You two are my one and only.

Rock, rock rocking your cradles,

I will sing to you a made up fable.

You are my princess,

and you are my prince.

Together you’ll find your way to a shining province.

Where you’ll meet your king,

and you’ll kiss your queen.

But don't you forget that you shouldn’t be mean.

I'll be watching,

Over you.

 

“Wah! Such a classic.” Kwangsoo bawls at the touching lyrics. Unsure why, I feel powerfully pleasant emotions listening to this song. The warmth in the lyrics seems to radiate out.

 

Moments later, I notice the beautiful scenery surrounding the path to the school. How did I not notice this yesterday? I spot fascinating green leaves bordering the brown picket fence trailing down the road. “Kwangsoo, what type of leaves are those?” He glances towards the side and answers, “Hedera. It's actually also known as Ivy. Ha! What a coincidence. Why? Do you like them?” That really is a coincidence. “Not really, they just seem familiar.” I sense a strong connection with these plants, but I'm a hundred percent certain it isn't just because of my name.

 

“We’re here!” Kwangsoo drives closer to the entrance gate, but the guards didn't seem to budge. That's interesting. It was fairly easy to pass the gate yesterday. “Can I see some identification?” one of the guards demanded. I take out the school ID an office lady gave to me and presented it to the guards, “I’m a new student, Ivy.” They finally opened the gates after a few nods. How did Soon get in here so easily? Don't tell me-

 

Unexpectedly, the first person I see on campus is none other than...Soon. Oh, God. I take in a monstrous gulp and prepare myself to sprint away. One, two, three! “Bye, Kwangsoo. I'm out!” I barge out and zoom towards the nearest school entrance. Kwangsoo tries to tell me something, but I'm already too far to comprehend. I make out a little “CLEAN YOUR-” but it was too late. I quickly entered a random room and sat wearily. Drained of energy, I splat face up on the floor. “Thank goodness, he didn't see me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I cheer in triumph.

 

“Who didn't see you?!” A girl jumped in front of me with innocently enthusiastic eyes. Startled, I sit up and accidentally bump foreheads with her. “Ouch!” I screech. “Ah, sorry! I didn't mean to scare you.” The girl reaches out for my hand and pulls me up. Afterward, she dusts me off and fixes my clothes. Although this isn't a uniform enforced school, the girl wore a pleated mini skirt, blazer, and a plaid tie – the classic school girl uniform. As cute as she is, she also seemed very...energetic.

 

“Hi! My name is Yein. I've never seen you around before! What's your name? Ooo. And who didn't see you? Are you trying to hide from someone? Why? Is he cute? Or is he the opposite? Oh, my.” What is she saying? All of these questions jumble up in my head as I try to decipher her machine-like speech. “One question at a time, please. I only have two ears you know.” She giggles and says, “You're funny. I’m sorry for rushing. Here. Let me start simply… What's your name? And-”

 

“Ah! No, no more questions. My name is Ivy. Now, you may continue.” Her grin stretched a mile across her face prior to asking, “Is that the guy?” The guy? “What do you mean?” She chuckles and let's out, “The one behind you.” Yein points towards my rear. Little by little, I turn my head. I can see it. In the corner of my eye I can see...him. I face forward and nudge Yein aside, walking fast towards the exit. I feel an intense pull on my arm as he reeled me back in and turned my whole body around. Baekhyun.

 

I awkwardly greet him, “Aha! What brings you here? Excited for the game?” I manage to force a smile. He moves closer and stares down into my nervous eyes. Surprisingly, though, his assuring voice calms me down, “Are you going to come to the game?” No, absolutely not. “Yes! Of course.” Baekhyun smiles and turns away. Carelessly, Yein butts in, “Is he the one you were trying to run away from?” Why, Yein? Why?

 

I took a glimpse at Baekhyun and noticed that he stopped walking. “No, I actually wasn't trying to hide from him. Why would I?” Then Yein even further dug a hole by asking, “Who was it then?”  Well, it is the truth that it wasn't Baekhyun. Might as well be honest. “A guy named Soon.” Baekhyun continued listening to our conversation. Why would he even care, though?

 

With a shocked expression, Yein shrieks, “Soon? As in Soonyoung? As in Hoshi? Why would you hide from him?!” Soon is Hoshi? The popular dancer Leo mentioned? No way. I don't believe it, but to get her to stop bugging me I vocalize a “Yes.” Baekhyun vaguely turns his head and frowned in a disheartened manner. He walks out and slams the door.

 

“What's his problem?” I ask Yein. She looks around and whispers, “People say that he's envious of Hoshi. It's just a rumor, but I personally think it's true.” Jealous of Soon? I don't think they're that different in status for Baekhyun to be jealous of him. “Why would he be jealous? They're not connected in any way, are they? I mean, a football player and a dancer? It just doesn't match up.” She scans the room once more and mutters, “They're half brothers. That's why they look similar but have different last names. Apparently, they've been rivals since middle school.” Wow. I'm speechless.

 

“By the way, aren't you new? Why don't I give you a tour around school?” If it's a good way to help me forget all of this drama, why not? “Sure! I'd love that.” As we stroll along the hallway, Yein constantly examines my face. “You know, you look a whole lot like my cousin. They say I look like him, but there's an uncanny resemblance between you two.” She can be so random. I just go along with the conversation and joke, “Is that so? Well, he must be handsome.” She doesn't show any sign of amusement and tonelessly replied, “Oh, he is. My grandparents wouldn't shut up about how he's our family’s breadwinner. Can’t blame them. He's got the looks, talent, and athletic body. A full package. I'm surprised he doesn't go to this school. He's too good for Nopbeom anyway.” Too good? He must be extremely gifted.

 

As soon as we finish our little “tour”, we part ways. It wasn't much of a tour since she just went on about how great show choir is – singing this, singing that, but I must say, I would be thrilled to try it out. It sounds pretty fun! Was I a decent singer in my past? Who knows?

 

On the other side of the school corridor, I recognize Baekhyun’s dark hair and fit stature, so I swiftly change direction. Unfortunately, turning around wasn't any better. I bump into someone and find myself on the floor, planted into their chest. I glance up to see who it is. Stunned, I forget to move off of him.

 

He cheekily grins. “Look who it is. I'm happy to see you.” Soon. “Uh...Hey.” My face turns a bright cherry-red once I remember the incident that happened yesterday evening. In an instant, he flips me around so that I'm the one laying on the floor. “Do you wanna finish off what we started yesterday?” I shut my eyes tight and clench my fist.

 

“Get off her Hosh!” I hear Baekhyun’s voice yell out from across the hallway. Yein was right, Soon is Hoshi. From a distance, I could make out his fast-paced stride. Baekhyun instantly pushes Hoshi off of my body then pulls me up and into his arms. He embraces me for a while and – I have to admit – I kind of like it. It feels warm, although I eventually push away. “Thank you,” I whisper. He ruthlessly replied, “Don't think I did this because of you.” I thought he actually changed. What a disappointment.

 

Hoshi sternly spoke, “It was nothing serious, Baek. I was just messing with her.” He glances at me then looks away with shaking eyes. Messing with me? Of course. Nothing he did, or said, meant anything to him, did they? Those passionate stares, the bike ride, and everything that made me feel special; it was all just a show to him.

 

“Sure, Hosh. I'll be watching you.”

 

“Yeah right. You don't even care about her, Baek.” Baekhyun hesitates to answer.

 

“No, I don't, and I bet you don't either.” Hoshi raises his eyebrows and assures, “I do.” He places his arm around my shoulders and smartly remarks, “In fact, I'm going to bring her along with me – to your game.” He cheekily grins. What? No. This is too much. I part my lips, getting ready to speak out. But then, Hoshi whispers in my ear, “If you don't come, I'll tell him that what happened last night was more than just a kiss.” Does he think I'll believe that? I attempt to reject once again, “I don't want-”

 

Hoshi interrupts, “Baek, did you know that last night-” What in the world is he thinking?! I cut in to stop him, “To miss the game! I don't want to miss the game. We’ll, definitely, watch together.” I rigorously tug Hosh closer. As a result, he blushes in surprise.

 

“We’ll be there, Baekhyun,” I smirk then steer Hoshi away. As we walk away, Baekhyun’s eyes follow. It's as if he's irritated. I could sense something unsettling about him. I'm not sure if it's his hatred towards Hoshi or his sour feelings for me. Whatever it is – one thing’s for sure – Hoshi and Baekhyun aren't getting along anytime soon.

 

“I'm surprised, Ivy. I didn't think you'd go to the game with me.” I exaggeratingly roll my eyes and mention, “You're the one who blackmailed me. I had no intentions of watching with you.”

 

“Why? Did you want to watch Baekhyun alone? Is he your type?” he says in a worried tone. I decide to poke fun at him and question, “Why? Are you jealous?” His steady walk comes to a halt.

 

“Yes.” We both pause for a second, but eventually I decide to stroll past him. Was that too cold? Maybe I should've fought through the awkwardness. While I bathe in guilt, I feel Hoshi, delicately, wrap a jacket around my waist. His lips send tingles throughout my body as they inch toward my ear. In a hushed tone, he tells me, “You'll need it.” I rotate my face so that we meet eye to eye. We stare, intensely.

 

“What are you guys up to?” Yein barges in. I briskly distance myself from Hoshi and answer, “Nothing much. Just getting to know each other – as friends.”

 

A suspicious smirk grows on Yein’s face. “Ooh, Hoshi. You just got friend-zoned.” She giggles and pokes at Hoshi’s waist. Are they close or something? She doesn't have to be so playful around him. I walk away, frustrated.

 

“Ivy, wait!” Hoshi shouts out, but I continue forward. Still facing my back towards them, I wave goodbye and respond, “I'll see you at the game.” I didn't mean to act all rushed, but all of this is just so overwhelming – It's only my first day.

 

***

 

Five minutes before the late bell, I come across Leo. “Leo! It's me, Ivy. What are you up to?” He beams with delight, “Oh, hi! I'm on my way to aquatics.” Aquatics? That's sounds interesting. He must be a swimmer. “That's cool. I think I'm headed to…” Unsure of what my first class is, I take out my schedule. “Ah! There it is. My first class is aquatics as well!” That's strange. They must've signed me up for swimming club first. Leo responds with surprise, “Really? Are you into swimming?” I shake my head. “No, I don't think so. I guess I'll just have to try it out.” He nods. “Don't worry! I'll help you out. I assume you don't know the way. Just follow me.” I say a quick “thanks” and head to the school’s indoor pool with Leo.

 

At the entrance, there were tall lockers already labeled with our names. The first four lockers read Aliana, Alyssa, Ivy, and Taekwoon. I search for Leo’s locker, and it’s nowhere to be found. Leo stands in front of the locker labeled Taekwoon. “Taekwoon? Is that your real name?” He nods. Curious, I ask, “Why do you go by Leo?” Shyness takes over Leo as he attempts to answer, “You see I…Uh…”

 

A girl wearing a cute, red and white, cuffed t-shirt and denim shorts cuts into the conversation. “He’s the best swimmer in this school. Very well-known, actually! Isn't that right Leo ‘the lion’?” Her teasing attitude causes Leo to flush in embarrassment. I laugh at their silliness, then I realize that most of the people I’ve met so far seem to be very popular. This could either be really helpful or – being realistic – highly dangerous.

 

She hands me tiny, blue foam-looking objects and explains, “Those are earplugs. You'll need them when we swim.” I bob my head and thank her for the advice. “Thanks. I really appreciate it!” I open my locker and stare blankly at the empty shelves.

 

“You're supposed to take off your jacket and shoes once we’re in here.”

 

“Oh. Gotcha!” I start to untie my shoelaces. She seems nice, so I introduce myself in hopes of making another friend, “My name's Ivy, by the way. What’s yours?”

 

After looking up from her phone, she finally notices that I'm talking to her. “Huh? Aha... Oh right, my name’s Alyssa! Nice to meet you.” She seems a bit troubled. I wonder what's on her mind. “Are you alright, Alyssa?”

 

“Yeah, I mean…I don't know if you feel comfortable enough to talk about this with me, but I have a long-distance boyfriend and…I kind of miss him. He hasn't Facetimed me in a while, and I'm not sure what's going on.” I stand up to comfort her. “I'm sure he's just busy. You'll be fine.” I give her a warm smile and get back to removing my shoes. Alyssa crouches down to take off her’s and says, “Thanks.”

 

All of a sudden, I feel someone tap my shoulder. “Hey, Ivy. I can help you.” Leo offers, but I kindly reject. “No, it's fine!” Alyssa eyes the two of us in suspicion. After I place both of my shoes in my locker, I start to untie the sleeves of Hoshi's jacket from my waist. I pull it off and-

 

“Wait!” Leo readjusts the jacket onto my waist, pressing his torso against my back. “Don't take it off. I think you should go to the restroom.” He backs off then instead of avoiding eye contact, Leo stares with assurance. What could it be? Could it be…It's my time of the month.

 

I rush to the restroom and check my behind in the mirror. Oh . I really am on my period. So this is why Kwangsoo… And why Leo… And Hoshi… SO EMBARRASSING! I vigorously hunt for the teacher and accidentally bump into a tall, slender figure smeared in layers of foundation and lipstick. “Watch it!” She squeals.

 

An older lady marches in our direction. “What did she do, Aliana? Are you okay? And you! Tell me your name this instant.” Due to her strong discipline, I assume she’s the teacher. “My name is Ivy Miss…” I squint to make out the name on her ID, “Kim. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean it. I just had an emergency and-”

 

“No excuses. Office – now!” With no choice, I drag my feet towards the exit. Who is this “Aliana” for the teacher to be so defensive over her?

 

“Coach Kim! Don't do this.” Leo hurries over and quietly discusses something with the teacher.

 

“Okay. You're off the hook, Miss Ivy. But next time, you'll be severely punished if you lay one finger on Aliana.” Seriously? Is she that precious? “Yes, ma’am.” I slightly bow and walk towards Leo. The teacher yells back, “You don't have to participate in today’s activities either.” Did Leo tell her…? I sigh in shame. Once I get to Leo I uncomfortably squeeze out a “Thanks.” He proudly smiles and scratches his head. “No problem.”

 

Alyssa sneaks in from the back and teases, “I like a little bit of romance. I ship it.” then winks. Leo and I take a glimpse at each other then awkwardly look away. Do I have feelings for him?

 

***

 

Nothing much happened in the next few classes. Introductions, class rules, syllabus handouts, and overly-optimistic teachers. Everything was so dull and gray. Hopefully, the next class will be somewhat engaging. The fact that it's Calculus, however, counters that possibility.

 

I take one step into the class and already dread it. Not only do I see piles of workbooks, but I spot someone I wouldn't exactly want to be with – Baekhyun. I avoid his gaze and rush to the farthest seat from him.

 

“Hiding?” Shoot. I fake a grin as I look at his annoying, smirking face. With nervous laughter, I say, “No! Why would I be?” Then I strategically sit right behind him, so that my desire to avoid him won't be obvious. At least I'm not sitting right next to him. The tables on each row are small, but big enough to fit two. Thank god I didn't have to squeeze myself in with him.

 

I constantly stare at the doorway, anxiously waiting to know who else is in this class. Please be Yein, Alyssa, or maybe even Leo! I don't need to be alone with Baekhyun. I desperately plead, “Please, please, please!”

 

“What?!” Baekhyun gripes. Oops. I sink into my chair, humiliated.

 

Thankfully, I sight Yein’s adorable pigtails as she walks in. We exchange excited waves, but before she could grab a seat next to mine, I hear someone steal the closest spot. I turn around and witness Hoshi grinning from ear to ear. “I'm sure you wanted to see me soon.” He obnoxiously chuckles at his own joke. Soon this, soon that. When will he stop joking around with me! “Actually, no,” I reply. From a short distance, I make out Baekhyun’s discreet laugh. He shamelessly takes pleasure when someone does Soonyoung dirty, doesn't he?

 

Uncomfortable, I peep at Yein and mouth, “Help me.” She shrugs and mouths back, “I'm sorry.”

 

This is going to be a long class.

 

All of the students pack the room, but there aren't any teachers around. I hear some chatter going on, and decide to eavesdrop.

 

“Is he coming?”

 

“Oh my gosh! I think I hear his footsteps.”

 

“Is my hair okay?”

 

All the girls seem overly excited about the math instructor. Is he that smart of a teacher? I ask Hoshi what’s the ruckus all about and he just shrugs, “I don't know. Apparently, they think the teacher is handsome, but I just don't see why they're so crazy about him.” Handsome? Just how handsome is he?

 

The door knob rotates.

 

Squeals echo across the room.

 

One foot steps in; then steps back. Is he teasing us?

 

The teacher slowly struts in and smiles.

 

Ahh! All the girls scream – even me. Soonyoung and Baekhyun simultaneously shout, “You too?!”

 

“Hello, my name is Mr. Kim. But you see, I'm quite young, so it's quite odd to be called such a title. Please call me, L.”

 

Unconsciously, I blurt out, I swoon.”

 

Hoshi intervenes, “Don't you mean soon?

 

“No.”

 

Finally. They hush up.

 

This isn't going to be that long of a class after all.