CHAPTER ONE: Call Me Soon

Ivy

At the hospital, they checked my vital signs, did a couple x-rays and performed other bizarre procedures on my frail body. The uncomfortable needles on my skin, the surrounding nurses and doctors blocking my vision, and the gloomy smell of the emergency room just made me want to puke. Am I going to die? Without even knowing who I am? At this moment, I realize that this is either the end of everything or the beginning of a whole new journey.

 

God, please take me now. I cannot handle this pain of uncertainty! I’m too lazy to start a new life and meet new people. I am ready to spread my wings and fly away from this shallow life. Okay… and now! Gone. I am gone from the world. “Ha! Take that needles! You can’t hurt me now!” I laugh hysterically at the joy I have of being free from that emptiness. Until, of course, I feel the hot stares shooting in my direction. Welp. I guess I’m still alive.

 

“Has she gone insane?” I hear a woman faintly whisper. “Poor child. Must’ve been abandoned. Such a beautiful young lady… What a shame!” Multiple bitter comments fill the room as I try to grasp the situation. “Stop! I am not insane, thank you very much. As a patient, I believe it is your responsibility to understand your patients.”

 

“She is right.” A tall handsome man in a white coat strides in with such a respectable aura. His presence makes me want to applaud his glowing skin and exploding charisma. “Hello, young miss. My name’s Dr. Ahn Jae Hyun.” Since when did doctors look this good?

 

I shook his hand and said, “My name is…” Right. I don’t even know it. Dr. Ahn showed disappointment in his face probably noticing the fact that I don’t remember my own name. “You don’t remember, do you? Well, that is expected. We have found some minor damage to your skull ultimately causing post-traumatic amnesia. Do not worry. In your case, there is still hope in recovering your repressed memory. If we find out where you are from, I am sure it will aid you. For the time being, we’ll just have to go with another name and place you in a school temporarily. While you are being educated we will ask for some extra help in finding out any traces of your past. Does that sound alright?”

 

Woah. Hold up. A school? New name? Amnesia? I need to take a moment to organize my thoughts. Who am I kidding? What thoughts? I don’t remember a single thing. I am an utterly confused clean slate desperate for something I don’t even know. Since I have no recollection of my past and I have no idea what my future holds, I might as well just go with the flow. Besides, with this angelic doctor I have nothing to worry about.

 

“Dr. Ahn, have you figured out what kind of person I am? You know. Like am I close to your ideal type?” I say cutely. Amusement exploded in his face. “No, unfortunately I prefer the mature type” Ouch. Not so angelic after all, but I’ll forgive him. He reaches out for an oddly shaped necklace. It looks familiar. Mostly silver with bright blue and green stones scattered around its pendant. “On this necklace, there are two pieces of information that could connect to your past. The number 1998, which I presume is your birth year, could indicate that you’re around 18 this year. Another clue I found was a word engraved into the necklace – Ivy.”

 

Ivy. It is so pleasing to hear that for some reason. Dr. Ahn gradually approached and placed his large, but delicate, hands on my shoulder. “I was attempting to conjure up a few names for you and I thought of a solution. I’m not sure if you will love it, but since Ivy is the only possible name for you at this moment, are you content with being called Ivy? Unless you would prefer 1998.” A chuckle let out, and I jokingly teased, “Definitely 1998!” An adorable, yet manly laugh escaped his lips as he responded with, “As your Doctor, I’ll prescribe you the name, Ivy. I’m sure the name 1998 would bring you straight back to the hospital.”

 

After a few more laughs, we settled down and came back to devising a layout for my recovery. “So, Miss Ivy, are you content with the ideas brought up?” I am more than content. At least I kind of know something about myself. “Of course!” Ivy. Ivy, Ivy! I couldn’t get enough of the short and sweet name. I actually feel something warm and familiar.

 

“Now, for your memory retrieval. Without knowing any of your family or friends, it is extremely difficult to restore your previous knowledge. Therefore, other adults and I have decided that we will first place you in Nopbeom High School. It is a school widely known for its broad selection of clubs and competitive spirit. I am sure that you will find something you have previously enjoyed while exploring their clubs. If you could put in the effort to try out each club, that would be great!”

 

I am dreading the idea of socializing with pretty much anyone in high school, but his eyes make up for every single word he just spoke. “Uh...sure. I guess I can have a bit of adventure. But one more question!” I know I will sound desperate but...

 

“What is it, Miss Ivy?”

 

“Are you single?”

 

He laughs. Laughs! Did I really gather up my courage for this? How could it get any worse?

 

“Child, I am married to a wonderful woman named Gu Hye Sun.”

 

Okay. Spoke too soon. I’m over it. If only the guys at the new school will be as handsome as the doctor…

 

***

 

Prior to actually attending school, I was told that I had to go through some tests and applications. How great. Already having to turn in a blank test and completely embarrass myself.

 

Dr. Ahn returned to the room after some errands and brought another man with him. He was tall as well, but not nearly as close to my type as Dr. Ahn. He looks like he could be in his mid-thirties, maybe forties.  “Ivy, this will be your guidance counselor and guardian-in-one. He’s a bit clumsy and can be unloyal sometimes, but you’ll adapt. I hope.” The awkward-looking man scoffed at the doctor’s introduction. “Hello! My name is Lee Kwangsoo. The doctor surely doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but I am basically your guardian angel for the time being! Nice to meet you. Please call me Prince of Asia.”

 

This guy seems funny. Ha! Prince of Asia… I can see how the doctor could be right, though. “My name is Ivy. And no, I will not call you ‘Prince of Asia’.” He looked a bit boiled up for a second, but then slapped on a smile and reached out his hand. “Hi, Ivy.” Whatever he does makes me giggle. He seemed to be pleased by the fact I get his humor. “I’m excited to get to know you, Mr. Lee.” I kindly shake his hand and put on a big smile. “Just call me Kwangsoo. I wanna get comfortable. I’ve always wanted a little sister.” How sweet. Me as his little sister… I wonder if I had siblings before.

 

Dr. Ahn led the way out for both of us and took out some keys. “Borrow my car. It’s the white Tesla in the front. These are the keys to the car and once you enter you’ll see a GPS. My extra house is already set up in the system. You guys drop off your stuff then head to the school to apply. It’s such a pleasure to meet you, Ivy. Don’t have too much fun Kwangsoo!” Wow. How generous. Strangely generous. What am I saying? He is too kind for this kind of suspicion.

 

“This is too much Dr. Ahn. Do you do this for all of your patients?”

 

“No, no. You just remind me so much of an old friend... Plus, your situation must be so frustrating. I’ll be here to help anytime.” Kwangsoo just nodded his head and grabbed my hand. “Yeah, yeah. Thanks! Now off we go.” He cutely waved his hand and pulled me out of the room. “Bye, Mr. Ahn! Thank you!” I yelled out.

 

“Hey! Why did you do that? He offered so much and you just leave?” Kwangsoo’s eyes shot wide open then pursed his lips. “Oh sorry. I have an important errand to run. I will just drop you at Dr. Ahn’s house and you take care of the rest alright? I promise I will be back as quickly as possible.”

 

“What?! Are you serious? Are you seriously telling me to be alone in this state? What happened to ‘guardian angel’? I have freaking amnesia for crying out loud!” He puts on a guilty face and apologizes again. “Look, I’m sorry. I know it is dangerous for you, but I really need to go. I will compensate. I promise.” I sigh and give in. “Okay. Just be back before the school closes.” He smiles and nods his head.

 

When we reached the house, Kwangsoo opened my car door and led me to the front gate of Dr. Ahn’s spare house. It was way too beautiful to be an “extra” house. The stone pathway framed by Japanese cherry blossoms led to a double door with intricate decals engraved into the dark, walnut door. As Kwangsoo opened the entranceway, my eyes widened at the breathtaking aesthetic of the two-story house. It was filled with warm scented candles, the lights were dimmed down, and the fireplace lit up almost as beautifully as the hanging chandelier. “This is beautiful.” Kwangsoo just took a moment to take it all in then -

 

“Yes. You’re right. Now, bye!” He zoomed out like it was merely a 2-star hotel. I wonder what kind of errand he’s on to be in such a rush. “Bye.”

 

After admiring the polished glassware, searching through the unreasonably giant fridge, and jumping on the king size bed, I peered through the extravagant gold-framed window on the second floor. The sky mostly looked blue, but a touch of red hinted a sunset. Sunset… It’s getting late! I have to apply for school. Why isn’t Kwangsoo here yet? I glanced at the clock –  it read 6:04 PM. Surely, there must be some people left at the school right? I cleaned myself up and rushed out the door. Where do I go from here? It’s not like I can drive. I walked out of the gate and continued to pace around the neighborhood. I saw a sign that read “Nopbeom Estates.’’ Nopbeom was the school’s name, so it must be close.

 

I pushed through the strong fall winds and searched high and low for the school. The color of the sky transitions from mostly blue to reds, oranges and yellows. I started to run faster and faster. I can make it, right Ivy? Yes, I can do this! I can –

 

Ah! I trip over a hard object and just when I thought I would smash my head into the concrete, someone grabbed me by the waist and hoisted me half-way up. What’s left of the sun seemed to shine onto just his face. His intense eyes glowed like fire as his tousled hair swept off his face. As a drop of sweat falls down the side of his face, his grip tightens. He pulls me close – so close that I could hear his faint breathing. He swipes my hair to the side with gentle fingers and says, “Thank God I saved you.”

 

The temperature crept up as his words slipped out of his moist lips. At that moment, I could hear our hearts pounding like heavy drums Boom. Boom. I gulped down my continually growing saliva and shyly pushed away. While I nervously played with my hair, he slightly raises my chin up so that our eyes would meet. His smirk entices me into listening deeply to the words that follow: “Are you not going to say anything?” What? Oh right, you're supposed to talk Ivy. This isn't just a fantasy where you have natural game. Okay, think this through. He's cute, you're not. Let's go for it. Yep, I am going to say it. Here we go…

 

“Uh. I l- No I mean… Um. You know I- “

 

“Anytime now…” Ugh. Stop embarrassing yourself. Ivy, you can do it. Come on. You've got game, right?

 

“I-I’ve got game.”

 

“Aha. Sure you do, beautiful.”

 

*Facepalm*

 

“No, no! What I mean is… I've got a game at school! Nopbeom High School! Yeah, haha. Go…Tigers?” A suspicious smirk grew on his face at the mention of Nopbeom High. He took a step closer, leaned in and whispered, “I'll take you there.” Huh. How nice of him! “Really? Thank you! I really needed a ride.” The guy grabbed my hand and walked me to his motorcycle. Of course, he would have a motorcycle. Hopefully, this guy won’t bring me any trouble...Right?

 

He snatched a helmet and placed it on my head. I noticed there was only one, so I wondered if he had an extra in the seat compartment. “What about your helmet?” I asked. His fingers slid across my chin, buckling the helmet straps on. “I would rather have you saved if something happens.” There he goes again. Making my heart beat like no other. Who is this guy? “Do you know me?” One of his eyebrows raised in confusion. For some odd reason, his facial expression transitioned from bewildered to somewhat amused. “Of course, I know you. From my dreams right?” His abrupt laugh quickly simmered down at the sight of my clearly annoyed face. There go my eyes — rolling away. Did I really think he was a part of my past? He's clearly some random guy that just enjoys messing with girls.

 

“Hop on.” The guy said quietly. Is he embarrassed? How cute. “Wrap your arms around my waist.” Wait. What? No, I don't think this is right. I mean I just met the guy, how could I trust him? Right then, he reaches back for my arms and wraps them around his waist. I stiffen up, unsure of what I should do next. His motorcycle roared through the whole neighborhood. The faster he goes, the more fearful I get. My grip grows tighter, my eyes water and I find myself leaning into his warm, muscular back. His freed hair blows in the wind, exposing his careful attempt to glance in my direction. Coming from him, I made out a faint chuckle. Was he laughing at me? I wanted to ask, but for some reason, all I wanted to do was lay on his back in stillness. Throughout the whole ride, loud silence filled the air.  

 

At a far distance, there are multiple well-built men lined up in front of an embellished gate. As the motorcycle approaches, all the men spread apart to make way for us. Do they know this guy? Maybe it's an open campus. The gates could solely be for decoration. Besides, I don't think such an unkempt boy would be allowed in such a prestigious school.

 

“We’re here! I hope you enjoyed your ride.” At that instant, he took my hand and helped me off the bike. Then slowly, he leaned in and whispered in my ear, “Because I did.” He took a step back then flashed a cheesy smile.

 

I stood in disbelief. How could a guy be so blunt? Anyways, since he did me a favor I might as well be grateful. “Thank you for the ride. Yes, I enjoyed it. The name’s Ivy by the way. What’s yours?”

 

The corners of his lips curved upwards.He winked then said, “Call me Soon.” Is this a joke? Call me soon? I looked around to see if anyone was laughing. Nope. Nada. Zip. Zilch. “Well, ‘Soon’ I –” I look back and notice no one there. Did he just leave? Whatever. It shouldn't bother me. I won't be seeing him again.

 

I walk towards the school and notice an event going on. Is there actually a football game? I decided to check out the football field to see what’s going on. There aren't any people watching in the benches, but there are a few athletic-looking boys on the field. They’re wearing a helmet, pads, cleats, tights – undoubtedly the football team.

 

I decide to sit on a bench and observe for a while. Certainly, when Dr. Ann explained that I will be required to test out all the clubs, he wouldn't make me do football, right? I watch the players closely and conjure up the worst case scenarios if I joined the football team. First of all, joining the football team would already be a dreadful scenario; unfortunately, I have no athletic bone in my body. After joining, I could possibly have no bones at all.

 

Every guy on the field was incredibly skilled at their role. Unlike any other team, there seemed to be no black hole. The strongest of the strong and fastest of the fast. Out of all of them, however, there seems to be one guy that stands out – Number forty-eight. His slender body, perfect proportions and quick-witted decisions enabled him to move swiftly.

 

For some odd reason, when I watch him, I get completely absorbed. His jet black hair and focused eyes create an image so sharp that I could sense a knife-like charisma from a mile away. I continue to stare for the longest time until his eyes shift my way. It almost looks as if he's staring right at me. I take a moment to scan my surroundings to find out what he's looking at. At that moment, I realize – it is me.

 

Oh no. What if he thinks I'm a weird stalker or something? His eyes opened wide and a hint

of frustration became apparent. He glanced at the coach, back at me, then fixed his gaze towards the ground. He briskly stomped out of the field and left the coach dumbfounded. Was he angry at me? I should probably go explain myself for whatever it is I did wrong.

 

I ran down the bleachers and chased after him. “Hey! Number forty-eight! Wait up! I'll explain.” After severely panting, I finally caught up with him. I place my hand on his shoulder to get his attention. He immediately flinches at my touch and hisses, “Go. I don't need your explanation.” His cold actions leave me stunned. What's his problem? Did I do something that terrible?

 

You know what? I’ll just trail behind him and seek out an answer. “I just wanted to watch you guys play,” I yell out. “And I thought you did great. Look I'm new here and I just wanted to explore a bit. I'm here to apply- “

 

“Well, why don't you go apply? You're not my problem. Seeing that you're so desperate to watch us play, just watch the game tomorrow.”

 

“You're right! Thanks for the info. I will be there! See you.” He doesn't seem too happy about my gratitude… “Sure, you can come, but I won't be seeing you.” I stood flabbergasted at his words.

I won't go to the game if he keeps up this kind of attitude. I'm a new student anyways, so it would probably feel lonely. He walks away, abruptly stops and turns around to say, “And the name’s Baekhyun. Not ‘Number Forty-eight’. You'll need to know if you're going to this school. I am pretty popular.” Please. What an arrogant person. I will definitely, never go watch any of his games.

 

Before the sun completely passes, I stroll past the columns of trees and into the school. The wide hallways and numerous staircases overwhelm me to the point my head aches from all the thinking. In which world am I supposed to know where to go? I aimlessly wander through the halls and spot a fairly tall, dark-haired guy wearing vintage, round spectacles and earbuds inserted into his ear. I rush towards him and ask, “Do you perhaps know where I could fill out an application?” He keeps walking. Did he hear me? “DO YOU HEAR ME?” I shout. Still strolling… “I exist you know!” Nope. No reaction.

 

As they say, drastic times call for drastic measures. I jump in front of him and spread out my arms and legs as wide as possible. In an instant, he screams for his life. Hilariously, he leaps back in fright and falls to the ground; as a result, an obnoxious cackle escapes from my mouth. I couldn't stop laughing – his distorted face was such a sight.

 

His face red from embarrassment, he quickly stands up and dusts himself off. This guy is kinda adorable, isn't he? Clumsily, he bows and sticks out his hand, “Hello. My name is Leo. I'm sorry if I couldn't hear you. My music was on too loud.” I shake his trembling hand and kindly respond with, “No problem, Leo. You're the kindest guy I've met so far. The name is Ivy.” He sweetly smiled.

 

Avoiding eye contact, he stuttered, “D-do you need help with anything?” Leo’s innocent presence planted a grin on my face. “Will you show me where I can fill out an application as a new student?” He nodded and turned towards another hallway while occasionally turning back to check if I was still there. On the walls of the hallway, I noticed shelves upon shelves stacked with trophies for dozens of extracurricular activities. Foreign language club, show choir, swimming, volunteer club, culinary, health, and the list goes on.

 

As we approach the school’s main office, I locate the largest trophy displays: football and dance. The football case contained around three championship trophies. On the plaque description, an obvious name is highlighted – Byun Baekhyun. It reads, “Thanks to Nopbeom High School student Byun Baekhyun, we have acquired our first championship football win. Ever since then, Nopbeom High School has been undefeated. This year, Mr. Byun will help snatch our fourth win – go Condors!” Byun Baekhyun. For a guy with such a sorry attitude, he does pretty well. But, I'm not – definitely not –  going to the football game.

 

“What are you looking at?” Leo interrupts.

 

“Oh, nothing. I'm just amazed at all these trophies. This school must be very successful.” He keeps a straight face on and sighs, “It is successful, but with success comes competition. It's a war zone in this school. Everyone is the best of the best at what they do. Byun Baekhyun – the quarterback and most valuable player of our team’s football team – is the second most popular guy around,” Second most? I wonder who's the first.

 

“He has thousands of dollars in scholarships, and colleges already started scouting him since freshman year. Everyone else, however, seems to be hiding in his shadows. That's how it is in every club. One incredibly gifted person, and a couple of other underrated dreamers. You should find your talent as soon as possible. This school is no joke. If you're not good enough to be the best, everyone will be hard on you. Be careful.” My future seems like it will be a lot more complicated than I originally thought. I don't know anything about myself or my past. How am I supposed to find my so-called “talent”?

 

“Thanks for the advice. By the way, you mentioned that Baekhyun was the second most popular at this school. If that's the case, then who's the first?” His eyes fixed towards the dance display. Unlike all of the other cases, this case had tons of ribbons, trophies, medals, plaques, certificates, and even fan letters – barely leaving any room left. “Kwon Soonyoung a.k.a. Hoshi is the most popular kid in school. True, he may seem like the cute and playful type, but when he's serious a strong charisma exudes greatly from his core. He's got moves, a witty attitude, a decent voice and the occasional cringe-worthy cute-charm capturing every girl’s heart. If I say so myself, his smile is pretty adorable.” He sounds interesting – somehow familiar. “So why isn't Baekhyun number one? Isn't he qualified as good-looking?” Leo haltingly nodded, “Yes. In fact, he's really up there. However, the difference between Baekhyun and Hoshi is that Baek has a sour attitude. I've known him since middle school and every year he has gotten into at least one fight. I'm not sure why, but it usually happens during football practice. He's got issues.” During football practice huh? So I guess this correlates to why he acted up a while ago.

 

“Alright. Thanks for the information Leo. I'm very grateful for your help. I can see the office from here. Bye!” He shyly waved goodbye as we parted ways. I'm happy that I finally encountered one decent person. A guy that I can consider my first friend.

 

I enter the main office and ask the lady at the front desk for an application. She kindly smiles then pulls out a huge packet. “This contains the entrance test and application. Please follow the lady with a uniform to the registration testing room and begin.” I nervously follow the employee and enter the room. It is tiny and confined – a perfect way to test the nerves.

 

I observed the front of the test. Nopbeom Registration Exam. Did school’s always have a required registration exam? This school really is high-class. I flip through the pages and answer an abundance of unusual questions. “How long is your finger?” or “Do your vocal chords ever hurt?” I assume they're indirectly trying to find which area I am gifted in, or if I am even gifted at all. Once I completed the test, I handed it in and filled out the application. It was approximately ten pages long and asked equally unique questions. “How competitive are you?” This school sure is serious about finding competitive and talented students. Nonetheless, why am I doing this if I'm entering the school for an experimental reason? Whatever the reason, I'm sure this school will bring a ton of chaos into my already absurd life.

 

I end up passing the test, and they told me I would start school tomorrow as a senior. I am a bit nervous, but oddly enough, I feel a tiny bit of excitement. I’ll get to know myself and dig up my past.

 

I head out the door and get ready to go back to Dr. Ahn’s house. But wait… How do I get back? Great, Ivy. Just great. I'm here stuck outside a school under the dark, night sky.

 

I'm not going to just wait here until the sun rises, so I decide to search around. I remember the ride with the motorcycle guy was reasonably short, so I can possibly find the house by walking.

 

After just a few minutes, I see a light coming towards me. Is that…God? Nope. A familiar motorbike stopped next to me. The biker took off his helmet and swished his hair. “Miss me?” Soon.