Senior Year: Facts #15 - #20

40 Facts About Ryeowook

15. He likes to take care of his body and brings loads of vitamins and ginseng drinks with him even on tour :) 

A group of guys was gathered around Ryeowook’s hotel room door. As Ryeowook’s boyfriend, Kyuhyun seriously disapproved.

“Key, what’s going on?” he asked, pulling aside the sophomore.

“Sooman’s investigating Wook,” Key said looking way more excited than necessary. “They said he brought drugs with him on this trip.”

“What? That’s stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.” Kyuhyun brushed aside the crowd, shooing them away. Their first night and freaking Spain and this was how these dipwits wanted to spend their free time?

For their school cultural trip, the school chaperones had put him and Ryeowook into different hotel rooms for obvious reasons (even though Kyuhyun had pointed out the school handbook only forbid “Boy-Girl Interactions”), but Ryeowook managed to swing an extra room card from the front desk.

Carefully, Kyuhyun pressed down the door handle and squeaked open the door. Their main chaperone, Mr. Sooman, was sitting with his back facing them and Ryeowook stood before him holding several baggies of…pills.

“I don’t need any freaking forms! These aren’t drugs!” Ryeowook’s panicked high voice blasted into the hallways.

Kyuhyun nearly fell over from shock. He and all the remaining gossip mongers pressed their ears to the door crack

“Ryeowook, the school takes self-administered medication very seriously. If you were going to bring pills, you needed to have filled out the forms, otherwise it’s illegal for you to—”

“These aren’t medication either!”

The guys behind him broke out in confused mumbles and Kyuhyun nearly elbowed a guy in the collarbone to shush him.

“I told you these are just vitamins!”

“You say that but—”

“And they’re in little bags because I only needed enough for this trip and I couldn’t fit the whole bottles in my suitcase! You think I’d be stupid enough to bring prescription pills in plastic bags?!”

“Ryeowook, please sit down—”

“See this? This is a fish oil pill. Do you want me to cut it open for you? Because one whiff of this and you’ll definitely be able to tell it ain’t Adderall!”

“That won’t be necessary—”

“And this is ginseng! For ginseng tea? You told us these hotel rooms could boil water, so I brought my dad’s roots to boil tea. Is that such a crime?

“Or what? What? You think it’s some kind of new meth plant? Like I’m going to extract its addictive juices right here in my hotel room? Is that what you think? That I brought all these non-school approved drugs and I’m going to sell them to all the other students? Do you think I’m running a drug ring here?”

“Please god, say yes,” a voice behind Kyuhyun mumbled. And maybe mumbled a little too loudly too because Sooman turned around and Kyuhyun yanked the door shut so fast he nearly cut off a freshman’s finger.

Most of the guys scattered, stumbling in their rush. Kyuhyun though, slid behind a potted plant, waiting. A couple minutes later of barely contained screaming, Mr. Sooman slid out of the room, empty handed and looking a bit like he’d just run through a tornado.

Kyuhyun knew the feeling.

 

16. He lost 25kg (55lbs) by jumping rope 1000 times a day

(not 1000 different times per day but like 1000 jumps per day)

(you know what I mean)

Kyuhyun hated talking through the phone for a lot of reasons but until today, hearing heartbreak in Ryeowook’s voice hadn’t been one of them.

“Then they told me to work on my lower register and maybe try a comedy role next time. They said I’d look really good in that.” His voice cracked on the last words.

Kyuhyun pressed the phone against his face, hard, to keep from smashing it against the wall. How dare they? How dare they?

“Ryeong, this isn’t—you’re not—” He clenched his teeth. “You’re a wonderful actor, you know that? And you’re handsome too. The opinions of a couple s, doesn’t change that.”

His boyfriend sniffled on the other end. “Maybe their opinions don’t change me…but nothing about me changes the fact that I lost this role because I’m fat. And don’t say I’m not,” he added before Kyuhyun could say so. “This is the highest profile play I’ve ever auditioned for, a professional production, and I lost it because of my looks.”

Defeat saturated Ryeowook’s voice as if he’d always known this day would come but had hoped for a different ending.

“I just…can’t believe this happened.” Kyuhyun struggled for the right words amongst his outrage. “These producers, then, they must be idiots. They are nothing.”

“No, they are something and that’s the problem,” Ryeowook said. “I’ve faced judgmental and shallow nobodies before, Kyuhyun; you know I have. But this was a real play and they are the people who decide my career. And my future lies with them and people like them.”

“This was one audition though—”

“And what if it’s like all the other auditions?” Ryeowook’s voice rose. “What if, what if they can’t ever separate my talent from my looks? What if I always get typecast into the funny fat guy and I can never play anything else? How many heavy drama leads do you see? How many rock stars? How many bad boys? What if, once we graduate, I can never play the hero again? What then, Kyu? What then?”

“I—I don’t know.”

Static crinkled up the silence. Kyuhyun strained for sounds of Ryeowook crying, but instead received echoes of a heart breaking.

“I don’t want to know, Kyuhyun. I don’t want to know.”

 

17. He never carries an umbrella around with him

Thick, heavy rain poured down around them. Two teenage boys (technically adults now) huddled beneath one column of dryness. The air, saturated with the smell of tree leaves and new mud, stood perfectly still as raindrops burned through it. They yelled in an outraged pitter-patter whenever they couldn’t pierce an object such as the metal stop sign (plink, plink, plink), drooping tree branches (drip-plop, drip-plop) or a paper umbrella with purple flowers painted on top (patterpatterpatterpatter).

“This rain won’t stop anytime soon,” the taller boy said. He held the umbrella for it was his. Plus, when the other boy held it, the umbrella was always too low and the wires caught in the taller’s hair. Don’t tell him he thought that though.

“Should we go home?” the shorter boy asked.

“Nah. Let’s keep walking towards the lake,” the taller said. “We can watch it fill up.”

They sloshed through blocks of water, elbows bumping and feet splashing. Although small and unfit for two people, the umbrella kept them mostly dry. Perhaps since they were accustomed to its tiny diameter; they knew to stand under the center for maximum coverage and to alternate feet to leave room for the other’s steps and to not hold hands because the taller had an umbrella to hold—instead, the shorter kept an arm around his boyfriend’s waist, their hips pressed side to side in maximum closeness. They did this every time it rained (which was every week in their town).

Misty air cooled their warm faces. When the taller’s arm began to ache, the shorter held up elbow for him. The rain talked enough so they didn’t have to say a word, but eventually, one of them would have a funny thought and giggle about it, just a little bit, and soon, they would both be throwing laughter toward the thunderstorm sky.

Looking at the joyful face beside him, the taller thought about the dozen umbrellas sitting in the shorter’s coat closet and flung a thank you to the heavens that his boyfriend never touched them.

 

18. He is naturally left-handed, but he learned to write with his right hand, so now he’s ambidextrous.

K: You can write with both hands? That’s so cool!

R: no its not

K: Why not?

R: I used to be left handed

K: So?

R: so I didn’t want to be ambidextrous! my mom didn’t like me writing Chinese with my left hand so she told me it was bad luck to use my left hand! she told me left-handed people were considered devil-worshipping witches

R: she’d never buy me any left-handed stuff to trick me into thinking everyone else was right-handed!

R: I forced myself to write with my right hand every day for two hours until I learned how to make letters!

R: I got Ds in first grade handwriting!

K: Is ambidextrous the word for it? That’s so cool!

R: -_-

 

19. He can’t dance but he dances anyways

There’s this psychology video about group behavior; it features a crazy dancing guy who eventually amasses a what is essentially a flashmob on the middle of a lawn, the whole pebble creating a wave situation.

What’s interesting though was not the crazy dancing guy; in actuality, the video is entitled First Follower. The first follower, the person who joins the dancing loon, is the one who turns the “lone nut” into a viable leader. Without a first follower, there will never be more.

In social situations, Ryeowook didn’t think of himself much as a leader, especially when it came to dancing like a madman (or Donghae) at prom. But when Kyuhyun, his handsome date, grabbed his hand and dragged him into the middle of the dance floor to join their fishy friend, Ryeowook figured he could get into this whole “first follower” thing.

 

20. He sleeps ...

Kyuhyun walked into the door frame.

“Goddammit!”

Ryeowook jumped up from the couch, quickly muting the television.

“Sorry! Did I wake you?”

“No, but I’m definitely awake now,” Kyuhyun hissed at a much more dead-of-night friendly volume

Ryeowook rushed over to him and rubbed his boyfriend’s probably bruised arm. “What are you doing up?”

“I have to go to the bathroom.” Kyuhyun brushed the sleep out his eyes. “Why are you up?”

“…Soap opera.”

Kyuhyun stopped his rubbing and stared at Ryeowook with the most judgmental look he could muster at three am. “You’re kidding me.”

“I get addicted to this stuff! You know me! And don’t you have to go to the bathroom?” Ryeowook pushed him towards the hallway, a truly futile action.

“Ryeong,” Kyuhyun moved past him and towards the TV, “You’re staying overnight at my house to get more sleep before the trip, not less. Now DVR this series and we can binge watch it when we get—This isn’t a soap opera.”

In fact, one click of the info button revealed it was one of his dad’s documentaries about Korean salt mines. Kyuhyun stared at his guilty boyfriend.

“Okay fine.” Ryeowook threw himself on the L-couch. “I couldn’t sleep so I tried to bore myself to sleep with this documentary, but it turned out to be kind of interesting.”

Kyuhyun, still half-asleep himself, pulled himself a pillow to hug and plopped next to him. “Why can’t you sleep? Are you not comfortable on the couch because I totally offered to get Ahra out of her room for you.”

“No, that’s not it,” Ryeowook said, “and let’s not pretend you could get your sister to do anything for you even if it’s really for me.”

“I could’ve guilted my parents into it though,” Kyuhyun pointed out. “Are you nervous for the trip?”

“No.”

“Is the thought of me sleeping just twenty feet away from you keeping you up?” Kyuhyun grinned and raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“No.”

He could’ve at least pretended to hesitate.

“What then?” Kyuhyun asked, a little irritated now.

Ryeowook sighed. He looked around to make sure no one else was hiding in the shadows, and then leaned in close towards Kyuhyun. “The truth is…I’m used to sleeping ,” he whispered.

Suddenly, Kyuhyun’s entire body was awake.

“Wha-What do you mean?” he asked, pressing the pillow closer to himself.

“I mean I don’t like wearing clothes in bed; it’s just really uncomfortable for me. Sleeping…without PJ’s just feels so much more natural. And that’s how I always do it at home. I thought about, you know, tonight but this isn’t my house or my sheets and if your family came down here before I woke up, well that’d just be weird—”

“Yeah, uh-huh,” Kyuhyun said, eyes locked on the television.

“—but I haven’t slept like this in a long time so I guess I’m just not used to it, and I just can’t get comfortable enough to fall asleep. So yeah. That’s why.”

The static of the television filled the room. Kyuhyun risked a glance at his boyfriend; Ryeong’s eyes were half-lidded with sleepiness and his lips in a sort of half-pout of frustration, neither of which aided Kyuhyun’s situation down below.

Kyuhyun coughed in that fake cough kind of way. “How about, uh, you sleep in my room? Not with me, of course; I’ll be out here,” he added quickly. “But, um, I have a sleeping bag in my closet, top left side shelf, and you can sleep in that …without PJs. And my parents can’t complain ‘cause we are technically in different rooms.”

“Kyu,” Ryeowook leaned on his shoulder, “I can’t kick you out of your room—”

“No, you definitely can. You need that sleep. In fact, you should go now. Get comfortable.” Kyuhyun threw the pillow on the couch and moved to get the hell out of there.

“Where are you going?”

“I remembered I needed to pee! Goodnight!”

The next morning, Ahra found her little brother half-asleep on the family room couch mumbling about salt mines in Korea.

 


 

A/N: I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow so an extra drabble this time! 

Tour Medication Vitamins: Nickestiara (some context just in case: American schools are really strict on kids bringing medicine of any kind during school field trips including cold medicine, pain relievers, and cough drops, so when I thought about Ryeowook going on tour with his whole body care pack, it just screamed trouble.)

No Umbrella: Hanzo242

Sleeping : fairness

Thanks for the comments and see you guys next week :)