In Heaven

In Heaven

 

L woke up with a jolt that morning. His arm felt lighter. He looked around the room to find he was nowhere in sight. Did he wake up that early? He glanced at his ring finger. It was still there, the ring that the boy gave to him. He then woke up and rushed to the kitchen to find no one was there. He was not here? He should be here, if not, where else?

‘Sungyeol hyung. Sungyeol hyung. Where are you? Why aren’t you answering?’ L shouted while searching throughout the whole apartment.

‘L-ah, what’s with you? Who are you looking for?’ Sunggyu who just got up asked.

‘Sungyeol hyung, have you seen him? L asked eagerly.

‘What are you talking about?’ Sunggyu eyes widened at the mention of Sungyeol’s name.

‘Yesterday, while you guys were out for schedule he was here with me. He was with me all day long, but now I can’t find him anywhere.’ L said in only half-heard tone.

‘You are kidding me right? It’s his one year death anniversary today.’ Sunggyu said.

‘What?! What date is today?’ L asked suddenly.

‘It’s 1st of October 2011, why?’ Sunggyu said and feeling concerned for L who was now looked as if he was dumbfounded over something.

‘L-ah, I just want to tell you that one plus ten is eleven.’ The words rang in L’s head making him feel like his head was going to shatter to pieces.

‘So where were you guys yesterday?’ L asked reminded that they had not been home the whole day yesterday.

‘We were all home yesterday. It’s just that you came home red-eyed. Hoya said that you cried at the park on the bench near the lake.’ Sunggyu answered truthfully and he cannot avoid himself from wandering what really happened though.

‘Then it’s all a dream?’ L asked himself but loud enough for Sunggyu to make it up.

‘What dream it is?’ Sunggyu asked eagerly.

‘Nothing, it takes forever to be explained. I think I better pay him a visit now. And don’t follow me, just let me be alone for this once, and you guys can come in the evening.’ L said as he got up and went into his room.

As he walked throughout the journey that he felt like it will take him forever to end, he was wandering. Is that what he was going tell me? At the thought of that, his mind cleared. He remembered that he finally cried of his loss that evening in the park where in his dream Sungyeol made him promise that he would be happy. That was is? Was not it? It was the truth. Sungyeol came to him when he finally cried, so that he wanted to comfort him and tell him to move on. But the thing was he cried after almost a year Sungyeol left him.

That explains why Sungyeol dreamed, hoped and wished for him to be happy. That was why Sungyeol was up and telling him all those things. He pulled the iris flower he bought for Sungyeol nearer to his chest. He again glanced at the ring, it was still there. Why was that so? L did not want to burden himself with such questions and finally chose to say that the heaven wanted it to be that way. With every step he made to the graveyard, his breath felt harder to be drawn. His chest felt tighter. His body felt suddenly chilly of the autumn air. He walked finally when he arrived at a tombstone that was written Lee Sungyeol.

He put down the flower he bought on the grave bed. He drew a deep breath before starting to talk his heart out.

‘Sungyeol hyung, I already know everything. I knew that you came to make me move on. I knew you came to make me stronger. And now I understand what you meant by you were not being able to promise you would not leave me. It’s a year already. It wasn’t easy for everyone and I myself felt nothing was easy without you. I just hoped that you rested peacefully and wait for me. Until the time comes, we’ll be together again…’ L said and before he could end his last sentence, his first sob came out.

‘In heaven.’ A familiar voice whispered very close to L’s ear that he almost shrieked out of shock. Then he knew, it was Sungyeol. He was going to be with him until the end of time, but he would be able to see him again when the right time comes.

He wiped his last drop of tears before he his heels toward the gate.

‘Are you watching me from somewhere?’ L said as he turned back once before continuing on his journey. With every step he walked away from Sungyeol’s grave, he felt that the burden he had within himself were smashed to dust and he felt much lighter.

‘Yes, I will be happy for you. Keep watching over me. Until we meet again, in heaven.’

 

 

-THE END-