Chapter 3

Little Ones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“When our children turn out to be better individuals than us,
having less and less of our faults,
we must have done something right.
Be proud.”

 

    Taeyeon and Jungyeon is cuddling on the floor in the living room while watching a music show called Music Bank. Meanwhile Jessica is helping Mrs. Kim in the kitchen as Irene had to leave for a TV station in the early morning to start her new schedule as an MC on the show that they're watching right now.

 

    "Mommy! Mommy!" Jungyeon shakes Taeyeon's arm as soon as he sees Irene on TV. "Look! It's aunt Joohyun!"

 

    Taeyeon puts down her phone and looks at the TV. "Woah! You're right! Your aunt is on TV!"

 

    Jungyeon is unable to close his mouth because of awe. "Amazing..."

 

    "It's amazing, isn't it?" Taeyeon the back of Jungyeon's head.

 

    Jungyeon nods. He turns briefly to Taeyeon and points at the TV. "What's she doing there?"

 

    "She's working, honey."

 

    "Do you work in TV, too?"

 

    "Yes, dear." Taeyeon pulls back her son because he unconsciously moves closer to the TV. After Jungyeon comes back to sit on her lap, she wraps her arms around him. "Have you seen me on TV?"

 

    Jungyeon nods vigorously. "But omma doesn't let me watch TV very much."

 

    "Why?" Taeyeon asks, even though she knows the reason.

 

    "She said, it's not good for my eyes."

 

    "And you trust her?"

 

    Jungyeon nods and turns to Taeyeon. He stands up in front of her as she suddenly rubbing his eyes in a state of pouting. "Whenever I watch TV, my eyes hurt."

 

    "Really? Let me see." After Jungyeon brings down his hands to his hips, Taeyeon holds his arms and pulls him for a peck on the lips. "It's because you watch TV at close range, dear."

 

    "Will I be okay, mommy?"

 

    Taeyeon flashes a motherly smile and pulls her son into a tight hug. "Of course, baby. There's nothing to worry about. Everything will be fine as long as you listen to us."

 

    "I will always listen to you and omma."

 

    "Good boy!" Taeyeon gently pulls away and looks straight into Jungyeon's eyes. "Do you want to play outside with me?"

 

    "Play?" Jungyeon's eyes sparkle.

 

    Taeyeon nods and grins. "Yes, play."

 

    "I want! I want! Let's go!" Jungyeon jumps into Taeyeon's embrace and jiggles his legs in the air excitedly.

 

 

***

 

 

    "Mommy? What's this place?" Jungyeon asks after they arrive at the front of a gate.

 

    "Do you remember Sarang's favorite fruit?" Taeyeon asks back as she gently put Jungyeon down on the ground. She doesn't let go of his hand because of the uneven surface.

 

    "Yes, I remember!"

 

    Sarang or Lee Sarang is Sunny and Hyomin's 6-year-old daughter and she's Jungyeon's best friend. But because of their mothers' busy schedules, they haven't met for almost half a year. Moreover, she's in China now, living with her grandparents.

 

    "What is it?"

 

    "Grapes!"

 

    "Correct!" Taeyeon pushes the gate and opens it widely, showing a vineyard. "Welcome to our family's vineyard, young master!"

 

    Jungyeon is speechless, his mouth agape. "Mommy, is this real?" He looks up at Taeyeon, who's smiling proudly.

 

    "Of course it's real, baby. Let's go find your grandpa!" Taeyeon carries her son with one arm and starts running across the dirt path with vines on both sides.

 

    "Do you see grandpa, Jungyeon?"

 

    "I don't see him, mommy!" Jungyeon answers. He closes his eyes, afraid of falling.

 

    "Dad! Where are you?" Taeyeon calls out.

 

    "I'm here, sweetheart!" Mr. Kim responds from a cottage somewhere around the vineyard.

 

    Taeyeon knows the one and only cottage they have there. A moment later, she finds her father, who currently taking a rest after working since dawn. They greet each other with a hug before they settle in the cottage and enjoy the fresh air.

 

    Mr. Kim notices his grandson keeps on staring at the row of vines in front of them. "Do you want to eat it, Jungyeon?"

 

    Jungyeon turns to his grandfather and then he looks up at his mommy. "Mommy?"

 

    Taeyeon looks down at her son in her lap. "Hmm?"

 

    "Can I eat the grapes?"

 

    "You need to ask permission from grandpa first, baby." Taeyeon smiles.

 

    Jungyeon jumps down to the ground and goes to stand in front of his grandfather. "Can I really eat it, grandpa?" He asks timidly, almost inaudible.

 

    "Of course you can, Jungyeon." Mr. Kim takes a basket and gives it to his grandson. "Pick and eat as much as you want."

 

    "Thank you, grandpa!" Jungyeon bows and approaches his mommy, who's watching him in admiration. "Mommy? I've got permission from grandpa. Can I go eat it now?"

 

    Taeyeon caresses Jungyeon's head and nods. "Be careful, okay?"

 

    "Okay!" Jungyeon leaves for his grapes.

 

    "He's a nice kid." Mr. Kim's comments as he watches his grandson, who's diligently picking grapes with one of his workers not far in front of them.

 

    Taeyeon sighs softly. "That's what makes me always feel guilty, dad."

 

    "Why?" Mr. Kim turns to his daughter with confusion. "Why do you feel guilty?"

 

    "I don't think I'm good enough for him." Taeyeon snorts and bows her head. "He's too good that I don't even have the confidence to admit that he has my blood. It's like... I don't have the right to say that he's my son."

 

    Mr. Kim turns back to look at his grandson. "He's too good because he has your blood, Taeyeon."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter