01.

enmeshed. (of us #1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His fingers played with the wedding ring, spinning it absently. A small smile slowly took place on his face, as his mind started replaying his first night with Yeji.

It was, for the lack of a better term, amusing. Other bride who married their parents' choice would pile pillows in the middle of the bed, but she didn't. Instead, she laid herself on it, conquering all space there is on the bed. He knew she secretly wanted him to sleep on the sofa at the end of the bed, but he ignored it. He got on the bed, his hands quickly finding their way around her waist. She screamed, surprised he didn't heed her silent wish. But then, she surrendered, and scooted away. The next morning, she was teased mercilessly by her own cousins who heard the scream. And he savoured every second her cheeks lit up in a scarlet blush.

"Man, I wonder if I look that whipped when I first married."

Brian brought his face up and saw Captain Kim standing just a few metres away. He rose to his feet, pulling his bag along to get to the snickering man.

"You should've taken a few days off, you know, to spend time together."

He grinned, "then, I wouldn't even want to get to work."

The two men laughed, attracting a few eyes from the passengers.

"How many days has it been since you got married?"

"Three days, Capt."

"See? Too early for work."

His brain then brought him to this morning, when Yeji woke him up. He heard her calling his name, but he pretended to sleep, wanting to know how far would she go to rouse him awake. Moments later, he felt his chest being hit with a fluffy pillow, and he instantly opened his eyes and grinned. She groaned and turned to walk away, but he was fast. He grabbed her arm and brought her closer to him. He placed a peck on her cheek and said, "morning kiss." Her eyes got bigger and she froze. He smiled and stood to grab his towel off the racks. Looking over his shoulder, he saw that Yeji was still in the same state. He then had her cute nose pecked twice, "you're so cute." He was sure he had morning breath but he found that he didn't care. It's only been three days, but he enjoyed every ticking moment that passed by, way more than he expected.

"Damn, you remind me of my own wife back home!" the Captain grumbled away, muttering some words.

Brian laughed, finding it amusing.

"Come on, stop daydreaming! We got a metal bird to fly."

***

It was her day off. Well, she only asked for a week off work, but instead she got two. She knew better than to complain or worse, decline.

Bored out of her wits, she picked up her phone and thumbed number 5 on her speed dial. Instantly, the screen flashed the number and she put the phone over her ear.

"Hey! How's the brand new bride doing?" Jinkyung's voice sounded on the other line.

Yeji rolled her eyes, "fancy and dandy. Don't call me that."

"Watch. me. Whatchu want though?"

"Want to watch a movie? The Wailing seems interesting."
"Girl, I know you have too much leisure time on your hands, but stop rubbing it on me. I'm working, sobs sobs."
"Wait, for real? Didn't you say last week, you're taking Wednesday off?"
"I can't. Apparently, there's some hotshot who's adamant to have me at their service. They promised 11, but it's 11:30 already!"
"Hotshot? Darn, you're lucky!"
"Yeah, says the one who got married to a well-muscled, jaw-dropping and all-the-adjectives-that-suit-well-with-hot pilot."
"Shut up."
"So, what's changed?"
"Nothing much, actually."

Except that I'm getting morning kisses everyday, she thought.

"Aye, are you gonna be like this with me?"
"What?" Yeji suppressed her laughter in.

Faint voices were talking on the other end, and stopped to focus her hearing on the conversation.

"Hey, Yeji. I've got to go, the hotshot's here. Share me the sordid deets later, okay! Bye."

She hung up then and Yeji gone back to lazying around on the sofa, watching TV. Doing nothing.

***


FRIDAY 11:34PM.
A glance at the digital clock told her that.
She thought she heard her phone vibrating earlier so she sat up on the bed and reached out for her phone on the night stand.

11 missed calls.
1 message.

From an overseas number.

Who would call her at this time of night? She opened up the message and sighed in relief.
It was Bri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter