eight

from a distance [but always by your side]

The auditorium was packed. Faculty members filled the first few rows. Groups of students, from freshman to juniors, spread themselves out in the seats. And then there was Baekhyun, sitting by himself. It felt good for a change, though. His friends were too much of a pain in the rear to justify being around them all the time. He scanned the room, waiting for an indication that things were going to get started.

 

Then, just as he was about to pull out his phone, the lights dimmed. The dean went up to the podium, and congratulated all the seniors on their wonderful accomplishments. Finally, he introduced the first student. The room was silent and all eyes were on the stage.

 

The stage was shrouded in darkness. But, within the shadows, Baekhyun could discern a figure make its way to the grand piano. It was tall and muscular, with a sturdy back Baekhyun had came to rely on more the past few weeks.

 

A single spotlight shone. Baekhyun’s nerves felt electric, like they would jump out of his skin. He was finally going to be let in on Yixing’s secret, only partially uncovered by run-ins of Yixing burning the midnight oil playing on the keyboard or accidentally finding a page of his sheet music on the kitchen table. He felt that the only way he could really know his friend, he should observe him doing what was his form of meditation.

 

The man in the spotlight looked out into the crowd, his kitten-like lips curling up. A three second pause, and he began his sweet melody. However, Baekhyun hardly noticed the singer at all. He felt like background noise compared to Yixing, surrounded by the elements of a composition of his making.

 

The song spoke of the moon, all alone in the night sky. He entered his lover’s dreams every night hoping that she would remember him, only to be forgotten the next morning. Even still, the moon never lost hope. Baekhyun’s breath stilled. He didn’t want to read into it.

 

After two hours, the showcase was over. Baekhyun went outside, the step from an air-conditioned building into the sweltering summer heat starkly apparent. He looked out into the crowd of people for his man of the hour. After 15 futile minutes, he called his cellphone, but there was no response. He sighed and headed to the street to hail a cab. Suddenly, a finger tapped on his shoulder.

 

“There you are!”

 

“Hi! I saw your call. I ran, but I didn’t know if you’d still be here,” Yixing responded.

 

“Oh it’s ok, you didn’t have to do that!,” said Baekhyun, latching onto his hands. “Anyways, congratulations! Your performance was amazing!”

 

Yixing’s eyes were glistening and the cutest smile that Baekhyun had ever seen formed on his face. “Thank you. I’m just happy you came.”

 

“Of course! I wouldn’t miss it for the world!” Baekhyun chirped like a doting puppy. Also much like a dog, his train of thought quickly shifted. “I’m hungry! Let’s get dinner.” Baekhyun pulled his hand and dragged him around town, in search for the perfect barbecue restaurant. Yixing mentally noted that Baekhyun looked happier than he’d been in weeks, like a spell was lifted off him.

 

An hour later, the pair was seated at a grill top table. They had gorged on more marbled beef brisket and drank more soju than Yixing could afford on a month’s salary. Baekhyun’s stomach was so swollen, he actually had to his jeans. He was currently in a drunken haze, gulping shot after shot without reserve. His vision felt slightly blurry, but his brain urged him, just one more drink won’t hurt. Baekhyun felt like a bubble about to pop. He laughed with gusto.

 

“What’s so funny?” Yixing asked, who wasn’t nearly as much of a lightweight as Baekhyun.

 

“Where do you think we’ll be in 10 years?,” slurred Baekhyun.

 

“Don’t know. Working. Having kids.”

 

“But you like boys. And boys can’t have babies,” said Baekhyun, alcohol addling his thought filter.

 

“I’m aware.”

 

“Babies are nice. They’re cute. I want 5.”

 

“Don’t you think that’s a bit too many?,” asked Yixing with a soft chuckle.

 

“I would have your babies.” Baekhyun said, giggling like a little girl.

 

“Ok, I think you’ve had enough drinks for tonight.” Yixing responded, pulling away the green soju bottle.

 

“You’re so great. I’m lucky,” mused Baekhyun, his eyes starting to droop. “I….. I’m….. uhh……..,” he mumbled, only to collapse on the table.

 

Yixing asked for the check. After paying, he peeled his friend off the table and put him on his back. His small frame clung to every inch of him and his hands were limp by his sides. Yixing felt a warm buzz cover his body like a blanket.

 

“Let’s go home.”


Wow, I haven't looked at this fic (or this account) in almost a year! I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I felt like I owed it to anyone who might have been waiting for an ending! I'm so sorry!!!! I will try my best to finish this fic!!