four

from a distance [but always by your side]

Saturday rolled into Sunday morning, Sunday morning rolled into Sunday evening, and then suddenly, Yixing found himself into his hectic college life. Once again, everything was a blur of deadlines, coffee, and procrastination. Yixing was only taking four classes this semester, but balancing his lengthy homework assignments with his job and his role as the piano accompanist for the school musical left him little time to do anything other than collapse in bed from exhaustion.

 

After his 12 pm class ended on Monday, he sat in the parking lot and quickly swallowed down his homemade sandwich. Yixing felt so tired that he didn’t even feel like moving an inch. However, he had to report to work by 12:30, so he started the engine of his car after exhaling a long sigh. The commute to work took a while due to the never-ending traffic on the highway.

 

Yixing sat in the traffic, wondering when he would get out of it. He aimlessly drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. He felt like even if he took a nap in the middle of the road, it wouldn’t matter since the cars wouldn’t move. So he took out his phone out of his bag and unlocked it. He shuffled through his music to find the piano track that he made for his recital. He plugged the auxiliary cord into it and turned up the volume.

 

The song was supposed to be piano version of what the vocalist was supposed to sing. The recital was in a month, but he could barely find any time to write the lyrics for the song. Jongdae had offered to help him with the lyrics, but Yixing wouldn’t accept his help unless he was able to personally meet up with him. This was because he wanted the lyrics to reflect his feelings, since it was meaningful to him. So Yixing thought for a few minutes about the theme of the song, and what he wanted to express. He definitely knew that he wanted to show his gratefulness to all that life had to offer him these past four years. The song was a way for him to say thank you to everyone that had helped him along the way. He was no longer the foreign kid from China who only knew how to say “hello” and “I love you” in Korean. He was going to go places that no one, not even his parents, had imagined.

 

But before he could get there, he had to get to work. Since his life already seemed to revolve around music, Yixing thought it would be fitting to work at a music store. Yixing opened the door, and walked through the music books section to go to the back counter. Here, he was greeted by his co-worker, Minseok.

 

“Hey,” Minseok said. He was an older guy who had already been out of college for a few years. He worked several odd jobs while chasing his dream of being an alternative rock singer. Since both Yixing and Minseok both loved music, they had formed an easy friendship while tending shop at the infrequently visited store. They swapped music tastes, self-compositions, and life complaints (although it was mostly Minseok who complained). Minseok was also an integral part of why Yixing became fluent in Korean. Minseok’s boyfriend was Chinese, so he figured that he was capable of helping out another person.

“Hey, Min. You need help with anything?” Yixing asked.

 

“Not really. Just need someone to stand at the cash register while I take inventory.”

 

So Yixing stood at the register while Minseok sat next to him and scribbled away on the inventory logs. However, Minseok didn’t seem to be in much of a mood to work, because he kept spacing out.

 

“So, how’s life going? I’m sure you’re glad that you can quit this job soon,” said Minseok.

 

Yixing turned to look at him. “Why? I like working here. I’ll really miss you, hyung.”

 

Minseok lips curled into a small smile. He couldn’t help but adore Yixing’s positivity. “Me too. Don’t forget me when you become SM’s number one composer. You could write me a chart-topping song or two in the future!”

 

“I could do that now,” Yixing responded with a wink. “Anyways, how’s Luhan? You guys finally move in together?”

 

“Not yet. We still got a month to go.” told Minseok. “But man, I can’t believe how much work it is to move as a couple. I had to throw away or sell half the stuff in my apartment and Luhan’s been so picky about what I can bring. I might just strangle his throat one day. Don’t be surprised if I end up in jail.”

 

“Well, I’m sure it’ll work out for you.” Yixing placated.

 

“So how’s lover boy been doing? You confess yet?” bluntly asked Minseok.

 

Minseok was the only person Yixing had told about liking Baekhyun. Minseok had never met Baekhyun personally, but he probably knew more about the guy than most of his closest friends did. Yixing hadn’t admitted it at first, but just from the way Yixing talked about every detail of Baekhyun’s life, Minseok knew that there was something more to Yixing’s friendship with the other male.

 

“I’m not going to. Baekhyun is in a relationship.” answered Yixing, fidgeting with the drawers in the back counter.

 

Minseok sighed. “Oh please, you’ve told me all about the eighty-part chronology of Baekhyun and Chan-whatever. They sound boring and awful. I don’t know them, but I really think they might break up.”

 

“No they won’t. And it’s not like I want them to,” said Yixing with a grimace.

 

Minseok let out a groan, which startled some of the customers. “Jesus Yixing, why do you always have to be so self-sacrificing? You like him and from what I can tell, he adores you too. What’s so difficult about telling him about your feelings? I really doubt he’s gonna antagonize you for confessing.”

 

“You wouldn’t understand. Can you forget it, because I really don’t feel like talking about him.”

 

“Ok, fine.” Minseok closed the inventory book. “So I found this great club in Hongdae. Would you wanna come with me this Friday night?”

 

“Luhan is ok with you going to clubs?,” asked Yixing with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Luhan knows that a free spirit like me can’t be tamed. Besides, it’s not like I’m going to go hook up with random strangers when I can already do that for free with somebody I actually like.”

 

Yixing wasn’t sure how he felt about going to a club. Spring break had just ended yesterday. Also, he was swamped with work and schedules. However, he really hadn’t gotten the chance to hang out with anyone over the break, since they were all gone on vacation. Also, it had almost been a year since he went out anywhere with Minseok; their conflicting schedules would never let them. This was really one of the last times in Yixing’s life where he would be even remotely available before he sold his life over to SM Entertainment.

 

“I’ll think about it,” said Yixing.

 

“From you, that’s basically a yes. Oh man, we’re gonna have so much fun. Just you wait!” Minseok pumped his fist in the air and let out a tiny woop.

 

-------

 

In the mid-afternoon that same day, Sehun and Baekhyun stood on a line in Starbucks. The coffee shop was close by their university, so the pair decided to get drinks and study for their upcoming exam there. Although with these two, they tended to gossip more than actually get any real studying done. Sehun was texting on his phone, while Baekhyun craned his head to the side, wondering when they would be called next.

 

“It’s only Monday and I already feel like killing myself. If I don’t get my coffee within the next five minutes, I’m having my father sue Starbucks.” complained Sehun.

 

“God Sehun, could you be any more of a drama queen? But yeah, I desperately need caffeine. I’ve have a 30-page paper to write by this Friday and I’m just about ready to take a nap.”

 

“How do you already have a paper due? Didn’t we just get back from break?”

 

“He he.... yeah….,” said Baekhyun sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck. “Well... the professor may or may not have told us about the paper a month ago...”

 

Sehun shook his head. “Typical. But you always get A’s, so it doesn’t even matter,” he rationalized.

 

By that time, the cashier called up Sehun and Baekhyun to the register. The cashier had a sharply defined face, which sported horn-rimmed glasses, and was dressed in a black t-shirt with a green apron over it. Baekhyun guessed that the kid was probably around his age.

 

The cashier stared at the pair of friends a little longer than absolutely necessary. Baekhyun and Sehun were used to it, though. The two were an extremely attractive duo and often caught the gazes of female and male onlookers alike. Finally, the cashier asked “Hi, what would you like?” with a pleasant smile.

 

Sehun moved in front of Baekhyun. “Hi, I’d like a iced caramel macchiato with caramel syrup and whipped cream on top.” After paying for his order, Sehun stalked off to the pickup area. Baekhyun internally laughed at Sehun’s affection for sickly-sweet drinks and moved further towards the counter.

 

“Hi, and what can I get you?” asked the cashier. Baekhyun prattled off his order, giving somewhat complicated directions for how his drink should be made. But he couldn’t help that he had very specific tastes. The cashier didn’t seem the least bit irritated, though. In fact, the cashier was more than willing to accommodate to Baekhyun’s requests.

 

“Will that be all?,” asked the cashier.

 

“Yes,” responded Baekhyun.

 

“Your total is 4,380 won.” Baekhyun handed over his credit card. “And may I say, that blue cardigan really looks nice on you. It goes well with your skin tone,” the cashier added.

 

Baekhyun froze for a millisecond. He felt somewhat surprised, but grinned brightly to try and hide it. “Thank you! It’s from Ralph Lauren’s limited fall collection!” Baekhyun then cringed internally the second the words came out of his mouth. Ralph Lauren? Really? Could you get any gayer?, he thought.

 

If Baekhyun thought the cashier thought that his comment was stupid, he didn’t show it. Instead, the cashier laughed heartily. “Wow, that’s nice.” The cashier handed him back his credit card. “Well, I hope you enjoy the coffee. And I also hope that we could talk some more soon.”

 

Baekhyun was blinded by the thousand-watt smile the cashier was giving him. He peeked at the cashier’s name tag. Jaehwan, he thought. “Yeah, I hope so too. Nice talking to you,” Baekhyun replied. He was about to walk away before the cashier, no, Jaehwan, called him back.

 

Jaehwan leaned in closely. “Hey, that guy who’s with you isn’t your boyfriend, right?,” he whispered.

 

Baekhyun blinked a few times before he roared with laughter. “Hell no! I’d rather feed myself to crocodiles than date him!”

 

“Phew! Thank god. That guy is just too attractive for his own good,” said Jaehwan as he wiped off imaginary sweat from his forehead.

 

“Why? Do you want his number? I would give it to you, but he’s taken.”

 

“No, I had someone else in mind.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled again, but with hints of nervousness this time. “Well whoever that is, I hope it works out for you.” He gave the cashier one last smile and left.

 

Baekhyun went to go pick up his order. When he grabbed the paper cup, he noticed that a name and phone number was scribbled onto it with black marker. Baekhyun went over to where Sehun was seated and showed it to him immediately.

 

“Guess who just got the cute cashier’s phone number?”

 

Sehun read the cup and turned his head towards Baekhyun. “Wow, seriously? I’m kind of offended. Why didn’t he hit on me?” the noodle-shaped boy whined.

 

“I quote verbatim, you are ‘too attractive for his own good’. So I guess looking like a male god doesn’t always work in your favor.” Baekhyun bragged.

 

Sehun snickered. “Wow, never thought I’d see the day. So, are you gonna call him?”

 

“Call him? Please, I’m throwing this cup out right after I finish it.”

 

“Why not? There’s nothing wrong with making new friends,” said Sehun in a tone that dripped with sarcasm.

 

“There was nothing friendly about him at all. The dude was practically undressing me with his eyes.”

 

“Can’t blame him. You’re a cute kid,” complimented Sehun.

 

Baekhyun squished his face to make an exaggerated eye smile. “Aw, really Sehun? You think so? You’re just the sweetest!” he exclaimed while pinching Sehun’s cheeks.

 

Sehuns swats Baekhyun’s hands off of his face. “Anyways, I was texting Jongin about a trip we’re going on. Since we have a long weekend this week, we were thinking about going up to his parents’ vacation house in the countryside. I love him to death, but it’s a nature lover’s paradise. So you can see where my problem lies. I was thinking that you could come with us.”

 

“I don’t know. I have better things to do than to be the third wheel between you and Jongin,” Baekhyun answered.

 

“Then bring Chanyeol. Aren’t you the one who’s always complaining that never get to spend time with him?”

 

“I would love to. But I’m not really gonna get my hopes up. He probably won’t even pick up if I call and ask him.” said Baekhyun.

 

Sehun paused for a moment and stared at his friend. “Baekhyun.”

 

“What?”

 

Sehun suddenly felt a small pool of anger bubble inside him. Suddenly, Sehun found himself voicing certain thoughts that he hid out of the love he had for his friend. “You say that Chanyeol won’t pick up your calls. You say that he won’t want to hang out with us over the weekend. You said that Chanyeol supposedly couldn’t attend the wedding because he was sick…” And after a pregnant pause, Sehun asked “Everything I just said was true, right?”

 

Baekhyun was stiff. “Yes. So?”

 

“And Chanyeol has cheated on you before. This is someone who has broken your trust in the past, right?”

 

Baekhyun was silent.

 

“Right. Hyung, relationships are built on trust. So you have to trust him if you want your relationship to work out. But you don’t trust him at all.”

 

“So you’re saying that this is my fault, then?”

 

“Not at all. But Baekhyun, it is entirely your fault for keeping a relationship where you don’t rely on your boyfriend for anything. ”

 

“I’m not breaking up with him.”

 

“I’m not asking you to do that.”

 

“Then what do you want me to do?”

 

“I want you to rely on him.” Sehun grabs Baekhyun’s phone off the table and puts it in the elder’s palm. “Tell him to come with us this weekend.”

 

Sehun knew that the advice he was giving Baekhyun was terrible. However, he also knew that giving Baekhyun the right advice would result in Baekhyun tuning out whatever he had to say. No convincing in the world would help Baekhyun. Sehun needed to let Baekhyun decide for himself that his relationship .

After much internal deliberation, Baekhyun hesitantly dialed Chanyeol’s phone number. Chanyeol had picked up after the fourth ring. He also had agreed to accompany Baekhyun and his friends. Baekhyun felt a little bit less anxious about Chanyeol.


I hope you all don't mind that I added Luhan in the story. It's only for this chapter though, I promise! And Jaehwan is Ken from VIXX, which I'm sure you were all wondering, haha. Anyways, thanks for reading! :)