Un.

Pièce de Résistance

1.

It’s a sunny spring day, nearly summer now. The cherry blossoms have long since lost their petals, but the weather is still so pleasant in late spring that it makes the two new friends smile as a light breeze ruffles their hair. They haven’t known each other for too long, but through the first two months of dance practices, they have become closer than they thought possible.

Luhan spots Yixing from the corner of his eye as they walk down the sidewalk towards a small coffee shop and remembers fondly the day that they met. He likes to think that Yixing and he were destined to befriend each other from the start. If he hadn’t failed his first two auditions into Boa’s company then he would have been a senior dancer above Yixing and they would never have had the opportunity to train together once they were both accepted. He calls it fate and Yixing just laughs and agrees with him. Part of Yixing thinks he might be right, but he’ll never admit that out loud.

Call it fate, destiny or simply circumstance, Luhan and Yixing are friends now and nothing in the past can or will ever change that. It makes them both happy to have someone that they already both get along with so well in the company. Everyone seems to be caught in that awkward stage of becoming colleagues and yet still not really being friends. That’s why when Luhan asked Yixing to get drinks with him after they passed their auditions, Yixing was eager to agree.

So, now, when Yixing asks if Luhan would like to grab a coffee on a lazy Saturday morning two months into their friendship, Luhan agrees. That’s why they’re walking together as they are now, down the street of a busy Myeongdong, and heading straight for the only cafe that Yixing knows and loves. It’s a small corner shop, one of those franchises that some k-pop idol owns or something, but it’s worth it for the customer service.

“When you said coffee,” Luhan says as he notices which shop their heading for, “I thought you meant some place closer to the studio or maybe even closer to our apartments.”

“I like this one the best.” Yixing says and Luhan chuckles.

“There’s one of these a couple of blocks away from the studio."

“Yes, but this one is better, Ge, trust me.”

“What’s so nice about this one in particular?” Luhan asks, curiosity is killing him now and he feels like he’s starting to understand the old saying about the cat.

“I know one of the baristas here,” Yixing finally explains, “He’s been my best friend since I arrived in Seoul.”

Luhan pouts, stops in his tracks and childishly folds his arms across his chest and Yixing wonders if the elder might stomp his foot like a kid being denied sweets in a candy store, “I’m your best friend.”

Yixing laughs and grabs Luhan’s hand. He doesn’t deny nor does he confirm any facts as he pulls Luhan into the coffee shop, a little bell ringing above their heads as they enter. There are a few patrons in the shop, most of them sitting at tables and sipping coffee or taking pictures next to the autographs of the famous people who have been in and out of the store, but that’s not what Luhan notices when he first enters that cafe.

It's the person serving the coffee that has drawn Luhan’s attention.

It doesn’t even hit him until a few seconds later, when he hears Yixing’s voice introducing the cute barista behind the counter that this is the one. The boy has perfectly styled hair that is brushed up and a charming smile that quite literally takes his breath away. Luhan swears that in that moment when his eyes met the eyes of that boy, his heart came to a stop and he forgot how to breathe. And he’s not lying when he says this, because in all honesty, he had.

He always knew that first impressions were important. He always knew that sometimes you can tell the distinct personality of a person within the first few seconds of meeting them. Luhan would be truthful in saying that he knew within those first few seconds of simply spotting the boy on the other side of the counter that he’s risking falling in love. Especially when that boy lets out a cheerful little laugh that makes Luhan’s heart swell in an instant.

“Ge,” Yixing repeats, because Luhan hasn’t responded to him quite yet and he looks like he's in a bit of a daze, “Ge!”

“Y-Yeah?” Luhan asks unaware of the first few instances that Yixing has called his name and his face flushes a bright shade of red when he realizes he’s been staring.

“This is Minseok-hyung.” Yixing introduces the boy on the other side of the counter and Luhan simultaneously bows and tries to shake his hand in a manner that Minseok finds absolutely adorable.

“Luhan, right?” Minseok giggles behind his hand and Luhan is completely melting, “I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Ah,” Luhan is sure he’s sounding all kinds of intelligent now, because, wow, has Yixing really talked about him to this handsome barista? His brain practically short circuits and so Luhan panics, “You can just call me ‘ge.’” he says in a hurried voice and Yixing makes a strange face.

Minseok, the cute, small barista, blinks a few times in astonishment, his pink lips forming a perfect little ‘o’ shape, before he grins all gummy and leans forward across the counter slightly, “I’m older than you.”

Luhan’s jaw nearly drops, because Minseok honestly looks like he might be in his last year of high school, if not his first year of university or college. He never expected that this boy, this man, could possibly be older than him. He’s officially embarrassed himself three times now since he’s entered the coffee shop and he’s barely said a word. He secretly wishes for a do-over on this entire meeting and wishes that Yixing had told him that he would be introducing his handsome best friend to him today. Little does Luhan know that this impression that he’s leaving on Minseok is the perfect one.

Minseok can't take his eyes off of Luhan and he knows that he's staring at Yixing’s friend unabashedly and that Yixing is watching, but he can't help himself. Never has anyone pulled Minseok’s attention away for this long, never has anyone made Minseok smile like an idiot by simply babbling. And, never has anyone seemed more like Minseok’s the one than Luhan does now, blushing and bowing profusely in apology for his mistake.

There's something so endearing about this moment, something so private between the two strangers that Yixing doesn't want to interrupt. Yet he feels the need to do just that, because the way that Minseok and Luhan are watching each other just might make them both explode. So Yixing decides to just slightly ruin the moment by taking a hold of Luhan’s arm who breaks their eye contact with a jump, remembering that Yixing is here with him.

Minseok startles too but then he composes himself in an instant, straightening out his posture and smoothing down his apron.

“What can I get for you boys?” Minseok asks as if he hadn't just been in a total trance, as if his heart isn't flittering in his chest, telling him that Luhan is going to be so very important in his life.

Because first impressions are everything. Because when Minseok and Luhan first meet, it's destiny. Minseok knows the instant that Luhan enters that cafe that he's entered his life and his heart. He knows, just like he knew with Yixing, that Luhan will be a part of his daily life. While he doesn't know for how long or how important in this second, he just knows that this aspiring dancer, with his disheveled hair and sparkling eyes, will be significant.

“I'll take a caramel macchiato.” Yixing grins and taps the glass of the pastry display, “Any of these you might recommend?”

Minseok shrugs and eyes Luhan from the side carefully, he can't help being drawn to him, “Maybe the sugar cookies. The coffee cake is alright too, but it could be better.” He says in a quiet voice and Yixing chuckles.

“I'll take a few sugar cookies then too,” Yixing says and he slides a couple won across the counter to pay.

“And for you?” Minseok asks Luhan who is fumbling with his fingers, “Luhan?” He says a little louder to grab his attention.

“Oh,” Luhan says surprised, “Pardon?”

Yixing snorts then as another server hands him his coffee, “He's taking your order, Ge.”

Luhan’s face goes back to bright red in an instant, “Could I get café mocha, please?”

Minseok smiles wide, genuinely happy, “That’s a good choice, probably one of my favourite drinks.”

Luhan’s lips make a little ‘o’ shape that nearly mimics the one Minseok had previously made, “Mine too.” He says softly, amazed.

“We have something in common already, Luhan-ge.” Minseok jokes with a pleasantly warm smile and Luhan’s face gets impossibly more red.

Luhan is usually so good at making a first impression and he’s always so open to meeting new people. He’s not sure why it is that meeting Minseok has made him such a nervous wreck, he can’t even make eye contact with the young man even as he passes over the steaming cup of delicious coffee. Luhan bows his head slightly, still unable to meet Minseok’s eyes and he tears away quickly from the counter without so much of a word other than a muttered ‘thank you.’

He sits at a far table in the shop with Yixing, over in the corner next to a few photographs of the manager of the store and a couple celebrities. Luhan slips into the chair right across from Yixing and gently places his cup on the table and it’s about that time he notices that there’s an extra chair right next to Yixing that looks like it’s been dragged from the table next to theirs. It only hits Luhan then that this extra chair is meant for Minseok.

Minseok who is walking this way with his brown apron and black dress shirt that has the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Luhan watches every movement the other makes, his mouth slightly agape in a mild awe. He can't seem to stop himself from thinking that this guy is so, so cute. Which he feels is so, so embarrassing. He's thankful no one can read his thoughts.

“Break time,” Minseok hums as he pulls out the extra chair and Yixing tries to shift over so that there’s enough room for the two of them.

Minseok settles a coffee down on the table too and Luhan isn’t at all surprised to see that he also has a cafe mocha, only there’s no chocolate sauce drizzled on top. He looks up from the frothy white cream piled on top and finds that Minseok is watching him with wide eyes. When Minseok notices that he's been caught, he smiles sweetly and then picks up his mug to take a sip of the delectably warm beverage.

“How’s the training been?” Yixing asks after he takes the first sip of his drink and Luhan raises a curious eyebrow, but doesn’t say anything, “Minseok has been training to be a barista for the past few months.” he explains.

For a brief instance, Luhan thinks that he would like to have someone in his life who can make a good cup of coffee for him. His cheeks turn a pale shade of pink at the thought while Minseok tells Yixing how well the course has been going.

“So, you’re a dancer too, right?” Minseok asks and Luhan snaps his eyes up from his untouched cup to look at the elder.

“Yeah,” he replies and then he smiles softly to himself, “I am.”

“That’s amazing, Luhan.” Minseok grins, “I’d love to see you perform some time,” he says before he can stop himself. Luhan gets the pleasure of watching Minseok’s cheeks turn pink, finally, and finds that it’s incredibly endearing.

“I’d love to see both of you dance some time.” Minseok corrects himself before taking a long sip of his coffee.

Yixing laughs and shoves a cookie into his mouth, “We have a recital coming up soon, but we’re not really playing any lead parts.”

Minseok shakes his head, “There are no small parts, only small actors.”

Luhan can’t stop the smile tugging on his lips and soon it’s spread wide across his face, “Constantin Stanislavski.”

A smile, just as wide and possibly even more gummy than Luhan’s, spreads upon Minseok’s lips, “Do you like the theatre?” Yixing raises an eyebrow, because he’s kind of curious now himself.

“I used to take theatre in high school for extra credit,” Luhan explains and he feels a little more at ease now, a little more comfortable even as Minseok watches him with those eyes of his.

And so for the next hour, Minseok and Luhan exchange banter about theatre and their favourite plays, directors and actors. For the first fifteen minutes of this conversation, they completely forget that Yixing is there. Not that Yixing minds, the chattering between his two friends has given him time to eat the remainder of his cookies and polish off his drink, leaving nothing left in the bottom of the mug - not even a single drop of caramel drizzle.

By the time the hour of Minseok’s break has gone by, Luhan and his new counterpart are sad to have to part ways. Minseok bows and tells Luhan how lovely it was to meet him and Luhan responds likewise. And only then does Minseok finally turn to Yixing to say that he’ll see him later on and Yixing smirks just a little bit when his elder friend leaves to go back to work.

“So,” Yixing says as he nudges Luhan’s leg under the table with the tip of his foot.

“So?” Luhan asks and picks up his coffee to take a sip, only to make a strange face when he realizes that it’s cold now.

“Do you like him?”

Luhan sputters, “I only just met him!”

Yixing snorts, “That’s not what I meant.”

Luhan blinks a few times, “Oh… Oh.” He says stupidly as he understands, “I mean, yeah, Minseok seems nice.”

That’s not what Luhan is thinking when he answers that question. Actually, he had been thinking about how well he could see himself and Minseok becoming close, impossibly close. Minseok to him seems more than nice, but there’s no adequate word that he can think of yet. The only other word that comes to mind is ‘wonderful,’ but he thinks that would be awkward to express at this moment even though that’s what his heart is telling him.

But that’s the problem.

Luhan’s heart is telling him that he might fall in love.

And that’s why his brain is telling him to run away.

Because if there's anything that Luhan fears, it's… Well, it's a long story.

❦❦❦

At the end of the day, Minseok is the last in the shop and he's charged with cleaning up and locking the doors. He hums to himself while he finishes off the last of the chores and then pulls on his jacket. That's when his phone rings, Yixing’s name flashing on the caller ID and he smiles before answering.

“Hello?”

“So,” comes Yixing’s voice and he sounds like he knows something that Minseok doesn't know.

“So?” Minseok inquires.

“What do you think of him?” Yixing asks as Minseok shuts the lights off in the shop and fiddles with the lock on the glass doors.

Minseok stops and smiles to himself before he sighs softly, already knowing who Yixing is referring to, “Yixing, I think I’m in love.” is what he wants to say, but instead he settles on, “I like him, Yixing, you should bring him by again sometime.”

And so Yixing does.

Here it is, the first official update of the spinoff! I know it's not that great (it's also unedited) and I can't promise that it'll get better, but please anticipate plenty of fluff, more cheesy/corny moments than necessary, a little bit of angst and some heartfelt passion ~ thank you for taking the time to read and, to my dedicated readers, thank you for your love and support in Grand Pas de Deux. xo, TadaChi