4. That Word Love

Happenstance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SEOHYUN

 

Falling in love, Seohyun realized a week later after her first dinner with Yonghwa, was rather something like witnessing your everyday routine change gradually. 

For example, usually the moment she wakes up in the morning, her first thought would be something about her work, her schedule for the day, the people she's meeting. However, since that day, to her utter surprise and amusement, it was him, Jung Yonghwa, that she thought of first, and not because he sent her an everyday good morning text. 

There were other things that he occupied in her routines like receiving morning beverages from him instead of getting them from coffee shops, or exchanging messages and calls during lunch, which Seohyun really rarely did before because of how busy she made herself back then. 

Then there’s also the after-work calls she received from him. They were all a little too sweet to suit her image, and honestly, if only she was the same old Seohyun, she would’ve kicked herself to senses. She was not a romantic person, after all. 

All in all, the people from her work pretty much figured out the subtle changes in her habits no matter how hard she tried to keep it under wraps. Within a week, all of them knew about it and so, they endlessly just like her family does. 

Speaking of family. God, if she had a choice, she would definitely hide from them forever. They bugged her just about every chance they had and endlessly sent messages of teasing and good-for-nothing threats that she introduce Jung Yonghwa to them again unless she wants her office to be raided by them. Perhaps, it was even worse than when she was still at the stage of being forced into blind dates, but what could she do? A family wasn’t something she could choose, to her luck. Nonetheless, it seemed to her like Yonghwa adjusted better with them than she did. 

Setting aside all the changes in her life, Seo Juhyun had never felt this happy in her life. It wasn’t about feeling suddenly complete, but more of content that she had found someone to stay beside her. It seemed in such a short time she had known Yonghwa, she had discovered the difference between having a family who’d be there for you and having someone you like. 

There were some things that she found only Yonghwa to tell on to and even before saying a word, she knew deep in her heart that he’ll no doubt understand. Even though officially, Yonghwa and her were still at the getting-to-know each other stage, she felt this assurance that he is someone she could put her trust completely. 

She felt more than fortunate to meet him that night. It might’ve been just a happenstance, but it was the best she knew she received in her life. Out of so many people in this world, she was one of those fortunate enough to meet the man she loves and even more so, the same man who loves her in return. 

 

YONGHWA

 

“I like you...” 

Someone who doesn’t know Seohyun would think those words came out of her as if it was as easy and natural as breathing, especially with the way she’s looking at him right now. It's as if she has fallen in love with him the moment they met and first laid eyes on him.

But, Yonghwa knew, if it came from Seo Juhyun, nothing ever came easy. 

Seohyun is a capable woman, to begin with. The night he met her was only one of many proofs he can tell on top of his head if anyone ever asked. Not only was she capable, but she was also beautiful and smart, too. She was just about perfect to him, to be honest. 

Right now, as Yonghwa stood facing her, he found her especially glowing. His heart was thumping hard in his chest and his movements are frozen. 

“She just said she likes you, you idiot. Do something! Say something! Or else, she might take it back, for goodness’ sake!”

The mere thought throbbed in his head. It probably took him at least a few more moments before he got his senses back and saw the corners of her lips lift just a tiny bit. His first instinct was to hug her. 

“Thank you, Hyun-ah... I promise you won’t regret it. I promise.”

“I’m sorry it took me this long to say it,” Seohyun shyly admitted.

He shook his head as he held her even tighter. 

“It doesn’t matter how long I waited. You’re worth it, trust me. Definitely and so much. I could say it over and over and that still wouldn’t be enough to prove to you that you are worth it. I mean it."

Holding her like this, he remembers the first night they met. Yonghwa would probably relive that night in his memories a thousand times and still find it fascinating. Truth be told before he met Seohyun, Yonghwa had been someone who felt like he wasn’t ready to fall for someone either. 

He was someone who treasured his freedom and preferred to focus his attention on his career as an Architect. He’s still considered young after all, with so many opportunities to catch. Although he did have some experience with relationships, they were never up to the point where he felt something close to falling in love, even if he didn’t know at that time. 

That is, until that night at the restaurant where he saw Seo Juhyun for the first time. He first felt that distinct but unknown feeling as if his heart took a sudden leap and every sense he had just suddenly come alive. It was the strangest thing, really. To feel something like that towards a person you’ve met for the first time. And then just as if his luck would have it, Seohyun chose him. 

The first time she looked at him in the eyes. Her words struck his mind to a pause. Even amidst the people that surrounded them, he felt as if it was just the two of them.  As clueless as he was at what was happening at that time, he was over the moon happy to have met her.

Seohyun was fierce and strong, and innocently beautiful, he might’ve literally taken his breath away. 

 

BONUS (Glimpse)

 

A gift

 

Seo Juhyun is in love. 

She never thought before that her name and love could be in the same sentence. At least not until she was at the age of 21 and her sister started pestering her to fall in love. But that was it. All they could do was put her name and love in the same sentence. They couldn’t really make her fall or at least, be in love at that time because she was too busy building her career as a lawyer – to be someone like her father whom she admired endlessly. 

Then there came the time when even her father joined her sisters in their intent for her to be in love. It was futile, of course, knowing her ironclad defense. 

Now though, as she’s walking beside the man who somehow managed to tear down her once stubborn wall, she herself put love and her name in the same sentence, without anyone forcing her to. Sometimes, she even thought of it eagerly. Then she would add his name, too. That’s how crazy she is now. Her fingers were locked in between his, fitting perfectly. 

They were walking home after a trip from the convenience store and suddenly, she felt strangely nostalgic. What a feeling, really. She hated it for its definition because it made her sound so typical like a grandma and she’s only twenty-six this year!

She tiptoed quickly and kissed him in the cheek, catching him off guard.

He looked at her, amused. “Wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter