3. Happenstance

Happenstance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seohyun’s phone hadn’t stopped ringing since she got home after last night’s crazy family dinner. She didn’t really need to guess who was on the other line either. Obviously, it’s her nosy sisters taking turns to inquire about last night’s guest. 

She picked up her phone reluctantly and looked at the screen:

24 missed calls

5 voicemails

7 new messages

She groaned inwardly and wondered seriously if her family had nothing better to do than meddle in her private affairs. 

Looking at her messages, as expected, most came from her sisters, and then she came to a stop at the unfamiliar number and opened it. 

Good morning! Hope you had a good sleep last night. And I also hope that you’re not thinking too much of what I said. I know we haven’t known each other for long but I hope you trust me a little when I say I won’t let you fall alone.

Have a good day at work!

Jung Yonghwa

Seohyun’s hand trembled a little that she almost dropped her phone. Not to mention, her inside felt like melting and she had a bit of a hard time breathing when her heart raced too fast against her lungs. 

First of all, it wasn’t the first time she’d received this kind of message from a man. 

Second, she knows this kind of routine between two people starting something, whatever something they want to call it.

Lastly, she is definitely not someone who is easily fooled by anything that involved the word romance. Still, does she remember her allergic reaction to men in general? Right.

So, what in the universe is Jung Yonghwa doing to her that she feels like some tragic teenage character in a story, ready-to-throw-herself in front of a bus for a guy?

For a while, she let herself float in a daze a little, clearing her thoughts slowly. Then a knock came and that was her cue to get herself back on track. She knew she had a long day ahead, and she couldn’t possibly let a text message keep her out of focus.  

One thing she’s sure of though, in the end, falling is definitely something that would hurt anyhow, anyway. 

“OH-EM-GEE!” Im Yoona squealed so loud, Seohyun thought she heard it echo around the whole building. “You did not just get a boyfriend without me knowing! What kind of a best friend are you, Seo Juhyun??” It was not a question, no, it’s not—more of a rhetorical question, really. 

In this situation, no matter how embarrassed Seohyun felt, she could only roll her eyes in disbelief because honestly, there once was a time in history where she thought her friend was normal. “The best you can ever have, Yoong. Now, stop disturbing everyone’s peace in this office and just do what you came here for. As you can see, I’m packed.”

“HA. HA. HA.” Yoona laughed mockingly as she sat in front of her. “But not so busy that you found a boyfriend in the span of one week that I was away, eh?” 

Seohyun sighed and looked at her friend straight in the eye. “I did not find a boyfriend, okay?” She took a pause. “He’s my…ally.”  

Letting a second pass, Yoona chortled and started laughing as if she’d gone momentarily insane, and then stopped with a complete change of expression. “You can’t be serious, Seo? Have you ever looked at a mirror recently?”

Seohyun groaned. “What does looking at a mirror have to do with what I just told you?” 

“Your situation is not some case you’re handling before a judge. This guy, whoever he is, is not your ‘ally’, okay? Judging from the way you’re acting right now, he’s probably anything but your ally. You like this guy. More than you let on, I bet.”

Seohyun frowned almost immediately at her friend’s words. “That’s not what you’re supposed to say, remember? You’re supposed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter