1. Dilemma

Happenstance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seohyun picked up the phone, reluctant to answer it, knowing who is on the other line and the purpose of the call. 

Mushroom unnie...

Her weekend off just started and yet, knowing her schedule beforehand—with her family and the pending call she has yet to answer, nothing had been relaxing about it at all.

She pressed the answer button reluctantly and prepared for some lecturing coming from her second, oldest sister, knowing she will unceasingly inquire about the details of her blind date last night. The one set up by her father. Ugh. Just wonderful. 

Just as expected, her sister’s rambling followed, "What were you thinking Seo Juhyun? Dad is going to be furious if he hears about what you did to Cho Kyuhyun! I mean, you can't be serious. Cho Kyuhyun sounded perfect as a candidate for you to bring tonight to our dinner and you ditched him? Are you freaking insane? If Dad finds out tonight, you definitely will never see daylight ever again!” Her sister was obviously exaggerating, but her comment didn't help so much either.

In Seohyun's twenty-five years of living, she had been on eight blind dates; set up by her four sisters, three girlfriends, and the one last night was her father's doing. If she didn't know better, she'd suspect most of her family members weren’t really law experts; instead, they’re experts in the blind-dating department. 

Speaking of her family, she knew they meant well with trying to find her a good match because all of them had settled down with their own while she had been especially busy with her own career as a lawyer. But, she wished her father, a lawyer himself, would be a little less aggressive in pressuring her to find the one (or in this case, him scheming to find “the one” for her himself) when he knew and understood the responsibilities the job held. She understood her father’s reasonings and had even tried her best in meeting men through her sisters and their connections, but so far, no one had really piqued her interest to the point of wanting to have a second date. 

Anyway, in those eight blind dates, she's been, Cho Kyuhyun is by far the worst. Basically, he was an arrogant egotistical bastard. 

She let out a huff remembering the night before. 

"Perfect? He's far from it, unnie. The man is nothing but an arrogant jerk. I'll bet Dad would be disappointed if he met the man himself."

“Why? Did he do something wrong? Did he hurt you?" 

"No, but—“

"Then what, Juhyun? He was basically your ticket pass to dinner tonight and now you lost it." She heard her sister sigh through the line. "Well, it doesn't matter now. You would still have to bring someone, you know that, right?"

She let the question hang in the air for a moment. Where the hell would she find a decent guy on such short notice and without going through complications? 

An image of a man flashes in her head, but she shook it off as soon as it came. She would probably never see him again. Not to mention, he seemed too good to be true. 

“Juhyun-ah, are you still there?”

She nods, thinking. “Hm…”

“What are you planning to do?”

Yes, what are you going to do, Seo Juhyun?

Oh hell. I’m going to go by myself and let the fire in hell loose. “Unnie, I’m sorry but—“ 

Ding-dong.

Talk about my life’s savior. “Oops, I have to go, unnie. Someone’s at the door and I’ll see you tonight!” Before her older sister can even say another word, she hangs up, feeling terribly horrible for the chaos she’s not prepared to face tonight. 

Ding-dong.

Or not.

As she made her way through the front door, she tightened the knots of her night robe and wondered who it could be in the early hours of the morning. “Oh, God, please tell me it’s not someone who needs me as a lawyer,” she muttered to herself before turning the doorknob and opening the door. 

Is love supposed to be like this? 

Okay, that was maybe too much. 

Seo Juhyun stared at a particular familiar brown-eyed man with a clean-cut hairstyle and sharp features that made him look like a model out of a magazine. For a moment though, she couldn’t make out of anything except for his awkward smile. 

“Uh, I—” she started, but failed miserably. “Why are you here?”

She hated how she sounded the moment the question came out. No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter