I Know That I Can't Do This Without You

Hold Your Ears and Block the Sound

You sat for what seemed like hours inside of your tiny room, leaning into Minho's warm embrace as his thumb your cheek delicately and his arm wrapped around your waist. No words were said, no resolution was made; Minho held you against him as you stared off without so much as a murmur in his direction. Thoughts were ringing through your head like church bells, drowning out every coherent thought other than those circling around Minho. It was like an awakening, every little thing that Minho had done since those last moments after Jonghyun left were calculated and analyzed in your brain.

The gentle way he'd touch you, the subtle way he'd always pull you closer into him, the moments when he'd lean in and just inhale the smell of your hair. Small, trivial things that you'd never even noticed before, they nearly scream out to you now as he cradled you in his comfortable embrace.

It's when these thoughts begin assaulting you that cause you to realize an important fact that you'd been completely ignoring.

"Minho?" Your voice stilled all of the man's movements for the briefest of moments, his head moved closer to your ear as he hummed a sigh in acknowledgment; you tried to repress the shiver that took hold of you, but you failed. There was something decidedly deliberate in the manner in which swayed his head beside your ear, his hand splaying itself against the expanse of your waist before he'd moved his lips to your temple and mumbled again to annunciate his acknowledgment.

Have you both been acting this way the whole day and you never noticed it?

"Jonghyun knows I'm in love with him?" Minho's whole body stiffens when you speak, his tender mannerisms stalling awkwardly as he struggled against himself to think up an answer; but, he didn't need to. "He knew? And he never... said anything? He knew and he still didn't try to say anything to me?" You could tell that words failed him, that he was fighting to find the right words, trying to find some way to dull the pain of the truth.

"He... had a feeling."

"And he still didn't care enough to even dull the blow." You could feel the bile of bitter rage churning in your stomach as you dwelled on the truth, realizing that Jonghyun had known even before today and still didn't think that he should try and at least tell you himself!

"... I... don't know." Minho seemed at a loss when he spoke, like he was trying as hard as he could to formulate an answer and struggling against himself to answer it. You purse your lips for a moment before placing both of your hands onto his and sliding them off of you before you turned yourself to face him. Minho's eyes stayed fixed to the side and away from you, his jaw tensed and his body rigid as you watched him.

"... Why did Jonghyun say that you were happy that they were together?"

If you hadn't already been sure that this was the question he was dreading, then the way his face constricted and eyes eyebrows knotted would've given you the hint.

"Are you not going to answer me?"

"Do I need to?" You pursed your lips again as Minho kept his eyes deliberately away from you, a deep set frown holding itself on his face as you reached towards him and forced him to look at you. His eyes attempted to remain looking off as both of your hands held his face in one place, you attempted to get him to make eye contact with you.

"Yes Minho, you need to answer me. This is an important question."

"But it doesn't matter!"

"Then why have you been holding me all day like this Minho? Huh?! Why?" You could feel anger boiling in your blood as you tried to hold Minho's face in between your hands but he took your own in his before he pulled them away from his face. His face constricted as he leaned off of the bed in an attempt to get up but you held on to the determination in your vein and leaned into his body so as to pin him between you and your headboard.

"[Your Name], knock it off!" He seemed desperate, his eyes were solemn and his jaw was pulled so tight that it almost looked painful.

"Answer me Minho! Was there some ulterior motive to all of this?" You were barely thinking as you spoke, you were so angry that you could almost swear that bile was spilling out of your mouth as you spoke. "That you're just doing all of this to try and get me?!" He held you and whispered such nice things as he cradled you against him; the thought of it all being a lie broke your heart so horribly that you almost couldn't function.

"I--What?!" Minho faced you now, his eyes narrowed and an expression of disbelief washing over his features instantly. "I can't believe you'd think that!"

"I need you Minho, do you know that?!" This comment surprises him, but only for a moment. "Do you know how much that would break me to know that it was all just some ploy? That someone I now needed to help me stay stable did it all for some stupid way too get i--"

"Me?! You are going on about needing me and that I could do--" Minho's face was scathing, he gritted his teeth and closed his eyes against his anger as he tried to cautiously push you back. "Are you even a little aware of how much I care about you?! Of how I would even just sit in the same room as you just to be near you? Do you have any idea at all?! Or were you too busy watching Jonghyun to see how I sat on the sidelines and waited for you to notice me?!" You stared at Minho with wide eyes, your mouth agape and your brain struggling through the murk of your surprise to process everything he was saying. Minho's eyes stayed narrowed and stayed on your face, a look of anguish and anger mixing together in the emotional pools of his eyes.

And somewhere deep inside of them a look of longing shot through and pierced your soul so strongly that you almost burst into tears.

"I was always there for you... and you never noticed. Do you have any idea how horrible it felt to see you look at him like you do? To pretend that I was okay?!" You turned to look away from him but Minho's hands shot up and cupped the sides of your face and kept your vision squarely on him. "It killed me to sit here while you cried, to know how bad you hurt and to do nothing but sit there. And, the worst, was knowing that you're crying over him while I sat and loved you with every inch of my heart and was never noticed."

"Mi--" You moved to speak, but before you'd even sobbed his name from between your lips he crashed his own down on top of yours. You didn't have any time to react, to think of anything but how forced and urgent his lips felt against yours before he pulled away and let out a single, strangled sob.

"I can't be here anymore." And with those words, Minho detached himself from you for the first time since this morning and rushed out of the same door Jonghyun had not even an hour earlier.

And you cried.