Fitting in

Just Like Everyone Else

 

 

Author note: first off I want to say that I hope you guys will give me feedback, so that I can improve as a writer.  I admit that it's been a long, maybe 4 years or so, time since I wrote this and it's not the best, but I really don't know what and how else to change. Also, grammar isn't my strong point, sooooo....  hum.....

 


 

"Mom, I'm leaving." Luhan said before leaving for school.

Luhan and his family had just moved from China to South Korea and he was looking forward to making new friends, and transferring schools in the middle of the school year wouldn't stop him.   His Korean languages skills weren't the best, but he knew the basics and felt confident. He had always been quite popular in school, and not just for his good looks.  Luhan was a very capable soccer player and his grades were not bad.  With his brand new student uniform he walked confidently inside the school.

Upon entering his first class he was confronted with a different reality that he had never encountered before.  After introducing himself to the class he had been expecting for someone to approach him, but no one did.  Even his seatmate stayed silent.  Luhan had noticed how some students looked at him.  He felt like an outcast and for the very first time he ate lunch alone wishing it wasn't so. 

He realized the reason for his being outcast when he had overheard some girls talking about what a shame it was that he was Chinese.  It seemed so ...so strange that this was happening to him.  Being discriminated for his nationality was not something that he had ever encountered before.  He wasn't ignorant, he knew it happened to others, but experiencing it first hand was really something else. 

The next couple of weeks were like the bullying scenes you see in movies.  You know, when it's obvious that a kid is being bullied but no one does anything.  He tried to be optimistic about it after all at least he wasn't getting beat up just yet, just ignored.  He felt hopeless and had made no friends, yet he lied to his mother so that she wouldn't be sadden by his situation.  "I just have to get through this a couple more months and I’ll graduate." he reminded himself whenever he was alone.

"I've been here for three weeks now and I can't wait to graduate." he said while eating in a secluded corner of the library.

"Hey. You shouldn't eat here." a voice belonging to a girl said.

Luhan sighed, he didn't want to deal with this.  He had found a peaceful place within a school that rejected him and now he would have to find another place.  Luhan kept his head down as he gathered his things and packed his food.  He was about get up when he noticed the stranger taking his lunch tray.  He was about to yell at the girl, but he stopped when he saw her smiling face.

"Hi, I'm Seo Joo Hyun, but you can call me Seohyun." the girl said with a smile and a slight bow.

"And you?" she asked and Luhan noticed that he had just been staring at her without saying a word.

"I'm Luhan." He said clumsily, thinking that he shouldn't have told her his name as she would probably ignore him from now on.

"Um. Luhan are you ok?" the girl asked once again bringing Luhan out of his thoughts.

He nodded and reached out for his tray.

"Oh, it’s ok." Seohyun said "Since you're carrying your books."

"I’m Chinese." Luhan said bluntly expecting Seohyun to drop his tray and run away, but instead the girl just looked confused for a second.

"I'm Korean." Seohyun said smiling "I can speak a bit of Chinese though."

Luhan looked at her unsure. "Aren't you going to ignore me now?" he asked as they walked out of the library together.

Seohyun shook her head no and followed him to his locker.  As he put his books away Seohyun looked at him with a smile.  "I take it you don't have many friends?"

"How about none." he said coldly.

Seohyun pouted at his cold voice "Let's be friends then."

He looked at her with a surprised face that made Seohyun giggle.

"Are you a new student?" he asked taking his lunch tray away from her.

 


 

Seohyun laughed once again "I was on leave since I was visiting relatives in the U.S."

"So, you're not new?" Luhan stated more that asked.

"Nope." Seo said smiling up at him.  "Let’s go eat in the cafeteria, I told my unnie that I was just going to look for a book." Seo said

Luhan followed quietly behind her.  Walking into the cafeteria he noticed that people were not looking at him, but at Seohyun.  He turned to look at her and realized he had been avoiding her eyes and looking down that he hadn't really gotten a good look at her.  No wonder others were looking at her, she was pretty!   It was only when Seohyun turned to him and grabbed ahold of his hand that the others noticed him.  He could hear the whispers and wondered what horrible thing they were saying about him.  He decided to sit by himself in an empty table.

"Yoona unnie, I'm going to sit with Luhan." Seohyun informed her unnie before heading to where Luhan was seated.

She started eating and they ate in silence.

 


 

Seohyun Diary entry

Today, I met a new student.  His name is LuHan, he has beautiful eyes.  I don't know how describe, ok, wait, I'll try anyway.  Haha.  His eyes are gentle, caring, and just pull you in.  He really has the most beautiful eyes I’ve see.  I don't know they're just so gentle, it's as if they convey the kindness he has with in.  Anyway, I met him and he was all alone.  Right away he told me he was Chinese, and I know he must have been, and maybe still is, having a hard time.  I ignored his comment and just told him I’m Korean.  It may have been a lame response, but he seemed relieved.  I...I look forward to knowing him better. :)


 

"Hey, Luhan!" Seohyun said running to catch up with him in the hallway.

Luhan waited awkwardly, he wasn't used to hearing anybody call his name, well as cheerfully as Seohyun did, in months.  Besides it was lunch time and usually he ate alone.  Alone he was always alone.  He grinned over how pitiful he had become.  Seohyun was calling him, Seohyun who was a great girl, yet he felt strange because he'd gotten used to being alone.  When she reached him, he bowed his head slightly at her.

"Let’s eat together."  Seohyun stated rather than ask.  "So, where are we eating?"

Luhan looked at her blankly, though he had been attending school for about six months now, he hadn't found a regular place to eat.  Not to say he has just been wondering about, but usually other students would find him and then continue to bother him and wait for him if he stayed in one spot.

Seohyun just smiled at him, took his hand and lead him to a staircase he had gone up before.  He knew she was taking him to the roof of the school, so he stopped walking.  She turned to him, but he shook his head no.

"What's wrong?" Seohyun asked taken back by the sudden stop.  When he didn't respond she took his hand once again and lead him to the cafeteria.  She had been hoping to eat with him in a more private setting, but for now this would do.

"Here, I kind of guess you've had a hard time."   Seohyun said when they sat down and passed him a piece of cake she had just taken out of her lunch box.

He looked up at her, and she smiled encouragingly.  “It's chocolate cake, I baked it today in the morning."

He bowed his head and as he was about to take a bite he noticed the icing, though messy, made out words.  He couldn't quite make out what it was supposed to say though.

Seohyun blushed a bit "It's supposed to say jia you in Chinese."

Luhan smiled, a real smile this time.  Feeling for the first time, in what seemed longer than six months, that there really was someone on his side. "I just want to fit in, be like everyone else, you know?" he said opening up.

Seohyun shrugged, "Fit in, but why?"

Luhan either didn’t hear her or didn't want to explain, and instead responded "Thank you, you’re my first friend."

"Well, I guess I should tell you that I don't exactly fit in either."

Luhan crewed and swallowed before responding, "But your situation is very different from mine." he said and continued before Seohyun could get a word out.  "Perhaps, you don't understand, but that's ok.  It's better that way."

Seohyun, who wasn't so happy hearing his response, sarcastically said "Of course I don't understand"

 


 

Weeks later

It seemed that having Seohyun as a friend made him more approachable, students didn't ignore him, and some girls even tried to flirt with him.

In fact because of Seohyun everything seemed to get better.  Seohyun's unnie, Yoona, the most popular girl in the whole school was even talking to him.  His schedule was actually getting busy now with dates and hanging out with friends.  

He noticed though that Seohyun didn't seem as cheerful as her usual self.  "Seo, is anything wrong?" he asked as they walked back home.  "Why are you so quiet these days?"

Seohyun's response was a small unconvincing smile that only told Luhan that right now was not the time to talk about whatever subject was making Seohyun sad.

Seohyun was having problems with her feelings.  Everything was confusing.  She had already spent too much time in bed looking at the ceiling and just signing and denying what she was afraid to feel.

In the short time that she and Luhan had become close friends she had developed underlying feelings for him, and now she felt as if she had also had underlying intentions.  Intensions that could be misinterpreted and easily taken the wrong way.  It was too confusing to the point that she had begun to question if her intensions were good or if perhaps not...  

She did find ways to console and calm her mind though.  She had always heard from her friends that she was easy to read, so maybe just maybe her intensions, or feelings were clear to Luhan.  Thinking that only helped for so long as it wasn't very long after that Seohyun began thinking that if Luhan had noticed and not said anything then maybe he wasn't interested in her.

"Ugh~" Seohyun said after hours of just thinking, "UGH!!!"

"Luhan, I like you." she said seriously and without looking at him "They're going to take you away from me and." she said turning to face him.  Looking at his picture on her mirror she couldn't help but chuckle a little.

Luhan had been taken aback by her sudden confession, gasp, "I'm sorry Seo, but I’ve never thought of you like that." he said honestly to which Seo nodded and then cleared .

"Nope that wouldn't work" Seohyun said pacing around in her room.

 


 

On the way to school, they walked in silence.  It had been a couple of weeks since they had talked openly and comfortably.  Seohyun really wanted to end the awkwardness surrounding them.

"Hey, um, Luhan." Seohyun said stopping and thanking god that they were alone at the crosswalk.  "This weekend, I was wondering if you want to um hangout... just us?" she said not looking at him but instead pretending to be more interested in watching for the sign that it was safe to cross the street.

The time that it took luhan to respond was just a couple seconds, but to Seohyun it seemed much longer.  She started blushing and fast, she looked down and pretended to be inspecting her hair for split ends.

"Yeah! That would be great." Luhan said with a smile that Seohyun didn't see, but she was now also wearing a smile as well.

The rest of the week was a countdown leading to the weekend hangout/date that the two would have.

 


 

Day of the date

"Seohyun, calm down!  I mean, you're great and possibly the nicest person ever?"  Yoona said sitting on Seohyun's bed, looking at some of the other outfits Seohyun had laid out.

Seohyun, who was putting on her dressed, looked back at Yoona.  "Thanks, now can you zip me up?"

Yoona got up "Total friendship goals."

Seohyun smiled back at her "Thanks."

She rode the bus to the amusement park and waited by the entrance for Luhan.  When she saw him she waved him over, but then Luhan turned and waved.  Seo waited for him confused, and without losing sight of Luhan's figure.

Seohyun then understood when a group of classmates from school approached Luhan and he her.  This had somehow turned into a group hangout.  She felt silly looking at how much she had dressed up.

After Luhan had decided not to ride the rollercoaster Seohyun also decided to wait for the rest of the group.  She knew she had at most five minutes alone with Luhan.

"Luhan come." Seohyun said taking his hand and leading him to a bench close by.  "I have something important to tell you, I want to be friends." she said stopping, like I'm really doing this.

Luhan looked at her and by the way he was looking at her Seo already had a feeling what was going to happen. "Luhan, I like you."

"Seo, I uh I like us as friends, I think that's the best."

She nodded. "Um, uh-huh, thank you."

The others came and they continued the day as normal.  When it was time to go is was her alone at the bus stop while Luhan and the others left together.

Seohyun was hurt, her first love had just rejected her.

 


 

The days of high school were coming to an end and after the rejection Seohyun had faced she was just glad that she and Luhan still got along as friends.  She had originally thought things would become unbearably awkward, but she ended up just being grateful for having a memory of liking someone.  Even if her feelings were hurt and they were growing everyday more distant she decided it was ok, or it had been.

"Hey, Seo what do you think of having a party at your house this weekend?"

"No."

"Why? I mean of course I would help you clean up afterwards, and your parents will be away."

"No."

"Look, I'm actually doing this for you.  You've been so quiet and..."

"On the edge?" She suggested because that was how she had been feeling. Luhan nodded.  "Thanks, but I'm not the type to be cheered up by a party.  I'd rather be alone with just a couple of friends.  In fact this weekend-"

"Hey, later ok. I have to go." Luhan said running to catch up with his other friends.

After school, Luhan caught up with her once again.

"So, what’s up?"  She asked.

"If you've changed your mind, well I asked the soccer team and they said they wouldn't mind going to your party."

"Why would you do that when I already said no?"

"Oh, come on.  I was just thinking we could all-"

"Then have the party at your house! Gosh, do you ever listen?"

"Seriously Seohyun?"

"No means no. Please don't ask me again ok?" Seo said with a sigh as he gave her an eye roll and walked away.  She was upset the whole way walking home.  "Luhan, who are you now? Don't you know me?" she thought.

That weekend there people waiting at the gate of her house.  She and Yoona were having a sleep over, but had been interrupted by the noise outside.  When they finally decided to go see what was going on they found people at her door step waiting.

"Finally, when is the party starting?" someone yelled.

Seohyun didn't bother answering, after all the person responsible for the crowd outside her house was right in front of her.  "Luhan, you really want to have a party don't you!"

Luhan looked taken back, but that didn't stop Seohyun.  "Everyone there has been a great misunderstanding, the party is at Luhan's house!"

"Seo!" Luhan yelled in a tone that was full of anger that started almost everyone, and infuriated Seohyun.

"How dare you! Have the party at your house!  Everyone leave or I'm calling the cops!" Seohyun said before pushing Luhan out and closing the gate.

The next day they didn't talk, actually a week went by and they still hadn't spoken.

On the eight day that changed, but not for the best.  Seohyun was really considering whether she was going crazy? Crazy, no she wasn't going crazy, what she was seeing was real.  Luhan was laughing at her as scraps of paper fell from her locker.  She was so surprised that she was speechless.  She was full of rage and sadness that she knew that even if she tried to talk she would just end up in tears.

When she was finally able to get Luhan alone he looked at her like he had way better things to do.  "Look Luhan, I.  I just want to talk to you.  A lot has happened and sincerely I miss our friendship."

Luhan's face softened, “I miss it too."

Seo hyun smiled and sighed.

They walked about two blocks before finally speaking up.  "No, you first."  Luhan said smiling.

"Remember when I found you?  You were alone, and even though my character isn't frightening you were strangely scared of me."

Luhan nodded chuckling a little about the memory.  "I was scared, but you know what I’m glad you were my first friend.  I hope now we can hang out more, as just friends that is.  Since, I don't want you going crazy again."

Seohyun stopped confused.  "Crazy?"  When Luhan didn't say anything she decided to just continue on. "We're friends, best friends, in fact.  But Luhan it seems you've forgotten how I am, now have you?"

Luhan didn't notice her change of tone, "Yeah, well people change, but Seo you’re all good, so I think it is all ok." 

A couple of days before school ended, Luhan told Seohyun he liked Yoona, her best friend, as if though it was nothing that would affect her.

"I like Yoona, do you think she likes me?" luhan asked her one day when he was over at her house.

"No." Seo said without thinking.

Luhan frowned "Seo, can you not…" he sighed.  "Anyway you have your own opinion, but would you not tell Yoona about this?"  

Seohyun looked at him taken back and speechless.  Luhan was already gathering his books and putting them in his book bag "I don't think we should be friends anymore."

"You really fit in now, especially with your new group of friends."

"What do you mean?" Luhan said taking a step closer to her.

"The people you hang out with, they don't really care, you know."

Luhan laughed bitterly, "No.  I'm me, you think I don't know?  I'm my own person.  True those people aren't the best, but it's better than being like you with only a small group of friends, or friendless isn't it?  I'm not just anyone, and you know what I don't need this.  I don't need-"

"Me." Seo nodded surprised that she wasn't crying. "If you're not just another one of them, why do you fit in so perfectly?  What, so you know they aren't true friends, but you still stick with them? Dishonest, if you're like that.  That just makes you another one of them, or do you think they really don't know."

 


School was ending and she had just lost one of her best friends and crush.  Things really seemed to not being going well, but at least she had Yoona, and the rest of her friends even if they had been busy with their own schedules, they would all be together at graduation.

After the graduation ceremony, when everyone was taking pictures, Luhan confessed to Yoona in front of everyone.  Yoona was very aware of her Seohyun's past feelings and her own.  She couldn't have been more outraged when she heard Luhan ask her to be his girlfriend in such an arrogant manner.  He was smiling as if she had already said yes.  "NO!"

He looked so surprised that it made Yoona even angrier, but before she could start yelling Seohyun was already dragging away from the crowd.

"Seo, forget him."  Yoona said.

"He's just like everyone else." Seo said "I’m sorry dragged you away.  It just hurts, we were really good friends or so I thought."  

Seo continued and whipped her eyes before reaching the exit.  “I don’t know I thought he was different you know?  He even asked me not to tell you as if I would be ruining his chances with you.”

150423

"Oh, Seo." Yoona said pulling away to wipe Seo's tears.

"I like him, but he likes you." Seo said looking straight at Yoona "You, do you like him?"

Yoona shook her head no calmly "Seo, I don't like him and honestly I think you should get over him quickly, I don't like to see my dongsaeng sad."

Seo nodded and forced a smile.  "And you know what else?  He's going to the same university as us."

"What!"  Yoona said "What are you going to do then?"

She shrugged "just ignore him, after all we are no longer friends or anything at all."

Yoona nodded. "Just remember, you aren't alone.  You have me and our friends and family."

"Do you think I was a bad friend to him?"

 


 

Luhan was left stunned in a crowed that was filled with fellow classmates that were supposed to be his friends.  The friends he had made not too long ago, about only two months, were now back to laughing at him.  He felt pitiful as he made his way through and heard the perhaps deliberately loud whispers, people were talking about him. He had just been rejected by his crush and with no friends to turn to.  He walked sadly though the school hallway one last time.  With his cell phone out he suddenly thought to call a person, the only person, he knew was his friend and would hopefully answer.

"Please, answer Seo." he said quietly, but no answer came.  After trying a couple more times, he gave up with a heavy heart.  He walked out of the school to meet with his parents.

"Luhan!" his mother said engulfing him in a hug along with his father.

"Where's Seo?  I wanted to take a picture of the two of you." his mother said smiling as she was quite fond of Seo and had no idea the Seo was no longer a friend.

Luhan forced a smile "she um...” before he had the chance to explain or avoid the question Seohyun appeared.

"Hello!" she said brightly and took a couple of pictures with Luhan and his parents.

"Mom, that's enough." Luhan said happily looking at Seohyun smiling next to his mother.

"Ok, ok.  But Luhan, Seohyun don't you think this picture of Luhan is quite funny?"  His mother said holding the camera for them to see.  They both laughed.  Luhan had blinked

"Well, goodbye."  Seohyun said a bit awkwardly.

Luhan knew it, this goodbye was different, and perhaps she wanted to do this one last thing to end their friendship on a good note. 

In the car hit mother talked about inviting Seohyun over for dinner or something later on.  Luhan shook his head no "mother I would appreciate it if you didn't question why, but she and I are no longer friends."

Not only did his mother, but also his father looked taken aback.  Though neither of them said anything and just like Luhan asked no one questioned why.

Two months passed like nothing and soon Seohyun was once again getting ready for school except this time it was university.

150508

She looked in the mirror once more and smiled, satisfied with herself and feeling excited and nervous.

 

 

 

 

 


160727(revised)To be continued.....maybe

Hum..(It depends on what feedback I get, and if I want to.)  Really would appreciate your advice and just any comments :)
also if you know a shop that makes posters for stories I would appreciate it if you commented or messaged me as i do want to get a poster for this fanfic that may or may not be a oneshot