Chapter 4

I Hate (Love) You, Ok?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It's already way past dinner time when Donghyuk finished his project. It took much longer than how he usually works, not only because he and Junhwe talked more than what he expected, but because he kept thinking about him as well.

 

He now admits that he has been kind of prejudiced towards Goo Junhwe. There's no excuse for what Junhwe's been doing in Advanced English in regards to him but Donghyuk should have kept in mind that there must be some reason for that. He should have also taken into account that Junhwe is close friends with Jinhwan-hyung. That in itself should already be a big hint that Junhwe may not be how he had perceived him. As far as he knows, Kim Jinhwan never associates himself with people that are really bad news.

 

And also, that voice. Donghyuk's not ashamed to admit that knowing Goo Junhwe is the owner of that voice had helped in change his impression of him - so much so that he instantly didn't mind calling Junhwe without the honorifics.

 

After listening to the cd song demo, Hayi immediately told him to tell his "friend" that she wants to meet with Kim Hanbin, both for a date and for a chance to convince him to collaborate with her. She didn't even care if Kim Hanbin likes her the same way she does.

 

"Regardless of how the date will go, I still want to continue talking with him, even if it's just as friends or more than that." She told him with a blush on her face and a smile that says she can't wait for it to happen. Donghyuk can never argue on that.

 

So he used the little free time he had to investigate about Kim Hanbin. He talked to his club mates if they knew the so-called musical genius and most of them say they do. The girls most especially have more info about him, even showing him a stolen picture of a guy around his height walking beside Junhwe. He vaguely recognized the guy as the one sitting beside Junhwe during the showcase.

 

Kim Hanbin looked a bit unapproachable with the flat line of his mouth and his posture, but the girls explained that the guy is just socially awkward. Apparently, he’s also much cheerful than Junhwe especially around his small group of friends.

 

Ok, fair enough. Donghyuk remembered Jinhwan once inviting him to eat with his friends at the cafeteria during lunch so the very next day, he purposely went there even if he’s in the middle of his experimental project. It's a relief Junhwe's indeed there with his friends because he has no time to hunt him down in the Business Programs department.

 

And oh, how much a partial attraction towards Junhwe had changed the way Donghyuk sees him. Despite knowing that the guy hadn't properly apologized to him yet, Donghyuk can't help but smile and feel a bit giddy because Junhwe is the owner of that voice he loves. It's going to be more difficult being level-headed.

 

Then afternoon came where he and Junhwe had that talk. Junhwe suddenly revealed to him the reasons why he's been a jerk in Advanced English (reasons that seemed too personal to share when they’re not friends), finally admitted that he was mocking him and apologized for it, then told him that his dance at the showcase was beautiful and that he looked cool.

 

Goo Junhwe didn’t know the magnitude of his words. To be called cool for the first time, Donghyuk was so flattered along with being relieved about his apology; he had agreed to be friends with Junhwe and even exchanged phone numbers with him. He didn't regret it of course. He knows a sincere person when he sees one, first impressions aside. It’s just that he's starting to be suspicious of himself. Maybe he's letting his bias for Junhwe's voice dictate what he says and how he acts too much. Donghyuk doesn't want that. He had been hurt and taken advantage of before because of such thinking and he’d like to avoid that scenario.

 

Yeah, he’s in love with Goo Junhwe’s voice. But that doesn’t mean he’s in love with the person himself. Donghyuk can stop himself if he needs to.

 

(Yet there’s a voice in his head telling him it’s not going to be easy.)

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

A serious yet excited whisper of a “yes” was what Hayi told him when he asked her if she’s really free on Saturday. He texted Junhwe right away and asks for an update in his end. The reply came just seconds after.

 

‘Hanbin’s free as well. He wants to know where she’d like to meet.’

 

“Noona, Hanbin-ssi wants to know where you want to meet up on Saturday.” He narrates to Hayi as they hang out at one of the free cubicles at the campus library. He sat across his childhood friend whose busy checking her homework for her General Sciences subject.

 

Hayi looked up to him from her book and rests her chin on a hand, eyes blinking at him in a way that’s so familiar to Donghyuk.

 

“No.” he answers before Hayi could even say anything. “I’m not going to pick the place for you. It’s already enough that you’re using me as an intermediary.”

 

“Your friend’s willing to do it for Hanbin-ssi.”

 

“That’s because Hanbin-ssi is a naturally shy person. You’re not.”

 

Hayi pouts a bit and raises another hand so her chin rests on both. Donghyuk sighs because that meant Hayi still won’t let him out of her decisions.

 

“Do you think meeting up at that soy sauce crab restaurant down the road is fine? Or is it more appropriate to just meet up here?”

 

“It’s a date Hayi. You’re not meeting a business associate.” Donghyuk clears his throat and leans more towards the table because a library officer has just given him a small glare. “He’s asking you. You can pick wherever and it’s his job to show up.”

 

“In a way, it can be a business meeting.” Hayi answers as if to retort. “You know I plan to ask him if he wants to collaborate with me for both our practicals.”

 

Donghyuk sighs again. “Then pick a place where both of you can be comfortable talking about it.”

 

“The restaurant it is then! We can go there for dinner and book the private rooms.”

 

Donghyuk’s ears perked at a particular word. Oh no, it’s not what he thinks right?

 

“We?”

 

Hayi’s smile all but confirms it. “Yes, we. Me, Hanbin-ssi and you.”

 

“It’s a date between you two!” Donghyuk whispers exasperatedly. What is Hayi thinking? “You’re not making me the third wheel.”

 

“Then ask Junhwe-ssi to come as well. That way you won’t be alone.”

He gives Hayi a confused look. Seriously, why is she adamant on making him come? Even suggesting that Junhwe go as well when it’s supposed to be just her and Hanbin-ssi. It’s a freaking date and they’re all adults. No need for chaperones. Unless..—

 

He lets his mouth hang a bit when he got what Hayi is implying. Pink paints his cheeks.

 

“Hayi.”

 

The girl suppresses a laugh. “Oh come on Dongdongie! You think I don’t know? You made a copy of B.I-ssi’s song and you kept replaying it for days.”

 

“And what’s wrong with that? I like the song.”

 

“Or you like the voice. Junhwe-ssi’s voice.” He frowns a bit when Hayi started grinning at him. “I know how you are when you’re in love with someone Donghyuk. You can’t keep secrets from me.”

 

“I’m in love with his voice. Not with him. There’s a difference.”

 

That’s right. Yet the fact that Hayi knows scares him. In some ways, his childhood friend knows him more than he knows himself. If she claims something about him, it would always turn out to be true even if he hasn’t realized it. It’s like a premonition.

 

“Look, just focus on your date with Hanbin-ssi. I’ll mind my own business.” He uses his low tone, lips in a flat line to show Hayi that he’s not amused.

 

The grin on her face melts immediately at that. Donghyuk felt quite like a jerk about it because he knows Hayi’s just trying to help. He just doesn’t need it right now.

 

“Ok, I’m sorry. I won’t talk about it again unless you want me to.” She reaches to pat his cheek affectionately. He just let her.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“…But I’ll really appreciate it if you’ll still come with me.”

 

He gives her his Are-you-kidding-me look.

 

“It’s just…I really want this work out. I did say I don’t care about the result, but I don’t want him to end up hating me.” Hayi starts explaining before he could verbally ask why. “You know how blunt and awkward I can be with other people. If you’re there, you can help clarify things if Hanbin-ssi misunderstands.”

 

Donghyuk chews his lips slightly as he thinks for a moment. He’d like to call it as nonsense, but it is true. He can still remember how the dude from senior high refused to ask Hayi out again after one date, and how some of her female classmates disliked her for it.

 

Still, years have gone and everyone has matured. Hayi isn’t as awkward as before.

 

“You’re fine, noona.” He says, now smiling to reassure her. “You’re just honest and you have no bad intentions anyway. You don’t need me to be your interpreter.”

 

“What interpreter?” Hayi snorts and playfully pinches his arm. He pretends to be hurt. “Fine. You don’t have to be with me the whole time, but at least be there for the introductions and stuff? Please?”

 

The fact that Lee Hayi, who’s far from shy, is pleading for him to introduce her to Kim Hanbin instead of herself or just be there to oversee things, means that she really likes the guy. Even if they haven’t spoken one word to each other and all she knows about him are his songs.

 

It makes him want to cheer her on more. Makes him feel more optimistic about him and Junhwe.

 

“Okay.” He sighs for the umpteenth time, then picks up his phone from beside a book as Hayi grins and mouths a “Thank you.”

 

He texts Junhwe about the restaurant and the time. Junhwe replies immediately again, this time with a simple ‘Got it. Tnx’

 

Then when he went back to teaching Hayi some of the scientific principles she found confusing, his SMS alert rings, showing him the reply.

 

‘Will you come too? Hanbin wants me to be there.’

 

Donghyuk can feel his lips upturn in a smirk. Junhwe is being asked to be the third wheel as well, huh? He glances briefly at Hayi before replying.

 

‘Hayi-noona wants me to be there too.’

 

He hits send then contemplates whether to send a follow-up SMS when…

 

‘Cool. If you’re not there I’m not gonna even bother.’

 

“What’s up? You’re smiling.”

 

Donghyuk looks up, slightly alarmed at Hayi’s sudden remark. The suspicious grin is back on his childhood friend’s lips again but he knows she won’t comment on it.

 

“Nothing.” He mutters after quickly sending a thumbs-up emoji to Junhwe. He changes the subject to the assignment Hayi is doing. Fortunately, he spots a mistake and uses it to take her mind off from the big elephant in the room he’s determined to not contemplate about for now.

 

Despite that, he can’t deny he’s now a “teeny-weeny bit” excited about Saturday.

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

It's a bit weird seeing Junhwe in Advanced English not as someone whom Donghyuk charts facial expressions from as a silent and pathetic form of revenge, but as a new found friend who also happens to have the most gorgeous singing voice he'd heard.



It's even weirder when after exchanging eye contact with him, he felt disappointed when Junhwe just nods and smiles a bit before sitting on his usual seat. They're friends now, why is he still sitting there? He didn’t even ask him to sit with him in his row. It's not like their prof forbids them to change their seating arrangement.

 

And Junhwe has absolutely no obligations to do that as well. But still.



Donghyuk gathers his things swiftly then stands up to walk up towards the row where Junhwe sat. Some of their classmates looked on with curiosity while Junhwe just stares at him as if he didn't expect him to do something like that.



"Why?" His friend asks as soon as he sits beside him. He shrugs and grins before taking out his things again.



"Because we're friends! Who doesn't like sitting with friends in a large class like this?"



"Oh." Junhwe looked slightly embarrassed. "Look, it’s not like I don't want to sit with you okay? It’s just that I'm trying to be lowkey here."



It took Donghyuk a few more seconds to comprehend what Junhwe meant. When it clicked, he snorts and lets out a small laugh.



"I get it. If we sit next to each other, the prof will notice you too since I'm always reciting and participating in discussions."



"That's right." Junhwe looked so relieved, Donghyuk had to .



"Then the more I have to sit here. You need to participate in class you know."



The half-surprised, half-panicked look on Junhwe's face is so amusing, he can't help but laugh again. It's nothing like the scowling and disinterested faces he's been charting from Junhwe, so seeing this side of him he only got a peek before, is refreshing.



He'd like to see and know more of his sides from now on. That way, he won't feel uneasy about the semi-attraction he feels for Junhwe.



"The only reason why I'm so active here is because I was charting the faces you make." He says when Junhwe still looked panicked. "Now that we've settled that, I'm not going to purposely debate with our prof. You won't be seeing me raising my hand for every question like the nerd that I am."



Donghyuk smiles when Junhwe blushes and averts his gaze away, like he still feels guilty and wants to say something but stays quiet instead.

 

Cute, he thinks. Why is this guy so awkwardly cute? The gap from his cold image is borderline adorable.



"So..." He leans down and looks up sideways towards Junhwe's face. "Can I sit here with you now? Or do you still prefer that we sit separately?"



Junhwe shifts his gaze a few times before nodding at him.



"Stay here. But if the old man suddenly calls me for recitation, you have to help me since, you know..." Junhwe pauses, hesitates, and Donghyuk somehow knew what he's going to say.



"I'm not a nerd like you."



Goo Junhwe's teasing him but the awkward smirk and the refusal to fully meet his gaze makes the situation tensed instead. Is Junhwe afraid he'll take offense to it but still went through the risk?



Donghyuk had said it more than twice in his head already but yeah, Goo Junhwe is cute. He’ll have to start using another term so it won’t be so redundant in his head.



"Of course Junhwe." He grins. "Leave the nerdy stuff to me."



Fortunately, the professor didn't call out Junhwe for anything even if Donghyuk's sudden change of seat was noticed. Donghyuk still recites, answering questions when he felt like it, while Junhwe does his usual mimicry of a good but quiet student. Then by the end of the lecture, they were instructed to partner with the person beside them for their midterm paper. Donghyuk wasn’t sure whether that's a good thing since as far as he knows, Junhwe is barely passing the subject. It's more like Junhwe is lucky to have him as a partner.
 


"Listen, even if we're friends now I won't tolerate half-assed effort for projects and tests." He warns seriously when class ended and students are leaving the classroom one by one. "I hope you don't mind."



He has this expectation that Junhwe will frown or look offended; instead the guy just places his hands on the pockets of his jeans and nods, no offense or negative expression present on his face.



"Sure. I know you have to maintain your grades and I need to pass this anyway. No way I'm repeating Advanced English."

 

Donghyuk laughs at that because the distaste is back on Junhwe’s face at the mention of their class. He tells him his motivation is good enough and bids him goodbye with a cheerful “See you” but Junhwe stops him by holding his arm, letting go one second after, before clearing his throat.



"You wanna hang-out? Talk over lattes or something?” Junhwe looked kind of nervous and Donghyuk inwardly scolds himself not to assume anything.



"I'll treat you." Junhwe adds as a way to make his invitation sound appealing.



It is appealing alright. So much so that he would have agreed right away if it wasn't for the fact that he has to head immediately to the labs again. He tells Junhwe, who slumps his shoulders a bit and says back that it's alright. There's always a next time.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter