Welcome home

Behind the Scenes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     With GOT7’s increasing popularity came increasingly packed schedules. Not for all, of course. Despite all their hard work, it couldn’t be helped that some were more talented than others. It was a fact, for instance, that Youngjae had the powerful vocals and that Yugyeom was the best dancer, that Jaebum was a complete package and Jinyoung was the best actor. BamBam was the fashion addict who was aiming to become a fashion icon. Jackson was the variety shows king. And Mark… Mark was just Mark. Aside from being the visual, which wasn’t a talent but sheer luck with his genetic sequence, what else was he talented at? What did he exceed at? Everyone had something they were great at, everyone but Mark.

Mark isn’t talkative so he doesn’t make a good MC, he’s the type to listen and react more than keep the conversation going. Mark can’t really sing and although he raps, like Jackson clearly states as well, they aren’t rappers per se. They can’t freestyle or do like other rappers actually do, which is incredible and makes Mark very envious. Mark dances and does tricks, but not every kind of trick. Just some flips here and there, cart-wheels and more. But he’s not even doing those anymore because they take too much on him. So being the flying boy isn’t a thing anymore, as their choreographies don’t require his martial art tricks anymore. Or more like they can’t insert his cereal tricks in them anymore.

So what can Mark offer aside from doing aegyo? What’s his talent? 

He is popular because of his looks, but that is hardly satisfying, he doesn’t want to be an idol who’s just good looking, and he doesn’t want to feel like he’s the most useless member in the group. That doesn’t mean he wants another member to feel like that! It just means he wants to feel useful. No, not useful, he wants to feel necessary, like he actually adds something that no one else can into their dynamic.

Mark is put for different schedules, but he clearly doesn’t nail them as the others would. He isn’t as suited as the others for all the other tasks that come with being an entertainer.

It makes Mark very upset at night, when he’s alone, thinking while the others are busy. He can’t even make entertaining V App broadcasts! How can he get GOT7 more fans like the others do?

Like Jackson… Jackson who, in JY Park’s words, does everything well. But Mark feels even those words fall short, because Jackson does everything remarkably well, both in Korea and China, making him a raising star. He earns love and praise wherever he goes, charming everyone with his loud and friendly personality, making people laugh and have a good time. Impressing them with his skills and stories that are not normally out there. Like when he shares he rejected a fencing scholarship in Stanford because he wanted to be an idol. When he showed that vulnerability but at the same time his passion and commitment for what he does now. Mark is sure everyone who saw that moment, saw Jackson’s fidgeting and sharing that part of his story, fell in love with him.

Mark surely did. More so than he already is. 

Jackson exceeds everyone in passion, charisma, energy and commitment. And Mark wishes he were just a bit like Jackson. Mark wants to feel outstanding in something, confident in at least one thing. He wants to feel talented instead of regarded just as the pretty boy.

Is that too greedy of him?

A heavy sigh escapes his lips as he just lies in bed, looking at the ceiling. He’s gone through this SNS accounts two times already, so he has nothing else to do. And everyone is busy with their own things, so all he has is Coco who is currently sleeping on his chest while he absentmindedly runs his fingers through the soft, now short, fur. He finds the dog’s ears the most endearing part of Coco, and likes playing with them.

How long has he been at that? All because he’s wondering about Jackson who’s, once again, supposed to come from shooting another episode of that Chinese variety show. He always gets back home late and Mark barely gets a glimpse of the Hong Kong native when they have free time, because Jackson doesn’t have free time. He’s always doing something.

Honestly, if Mark really wants to see Jackson his best bet is to actually go as audience to a show.

Mark was actually jealous of Joonheon when he and Jackson were paired for Celebrity Bromance. They were actually told to go on a date and have fun together, being their usual selves while being recorded for the fans and edited together in five episodes. Mark wished it had been him instead of Joonheon, but what would say that of GOT7? That they weren’t close? It wasn’t that, they were close, extremely so, like a family, but Mark missed Jackson so much at the dorm. Mark wanted to go on a date like that, getting dinner at their favourite place, hiking to enjoy the night view, surprising him at his shooting location the next day. He wanted to do all that.

He wanted to make Jackson’s heart flutter.

But Mark wasn’t even going to ever be on Celebrity Romance, because in all honesty, if they didn’t pair him with Jackson everything would be really boring. As Jinyoung had said, Mark needed someone talkative to keep things fun. Oh, of course he hadn’t said it like that, Mark was just rephrasing it as he remembered it. Which brings him back to the point where he is useless because aside from performing with GOT7, there is nothing else he can do on his own.

The boy spends hours musing over that, trying to find his own talent, something he’s good at, but nothing is useful for his career. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter