D-7

Seven

 

It was the middle of winter in Seoul. Everything was white, covered by thick layers of snow. Baekhyun was lying on his hospital bed. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. According to the doctor, he only has seven days left to live. The boy sighed. He was so close yet so far to death. He heard a knock on his room’s door. A few seconds later, a nurse came in.

“Good afternoon, Baekhyun,” she greeted. She was the nurse that took care of Baekhyun since he was hospitalized a few years ago.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Lee,” the boy replied.

“It’s time for you to take your medicine.”

He took the medicine even though he knew that it couldn’t prevent him from dying. He wasn’t afraid of death. Baekhyun had no one. His parents have died in a car accident a few years ago and he had no close friends. He didn’t fear death, but he didn’t want to die either, because there was this person that he wanted to live for. A person who meant everything to him. His light. His world.

“Mrs. Lee, could I go to the park for awhile?” Baekhyun asked.

“Sure,” she answered. Mrs. Lee was beautiful despite her ripe old age of 52. Her hair was tied to a neat bun just like the other nurses. She was very kind especially to Baekhyun, whom she considers as her own family.

Baekhyun bid goodbye to Mrs. Lee and went to the park that was located at the back of the hospital. As usual, there were only a few patients at the park. Some were sitting while reading a book or sipping a cup of tea, while the others were chitchatting. But a familiar figure caught his attention; a tall guy with black hair who was accompanied by a nurse. They were sitting on a bench in the middle of a park and the nurse was holding a book. Maybe she was reading a story for him, Baekhyun guessed. He knew that guy. His name was Park Chanyeol and he was blind. They met a few months ago in this park, and eventually they became friends.

“Hey, Chanyeol!” Baekhyun greeted.

“Baekhyun, is that you?”.

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“Um, Baek, would you mind reading the rest of this book for me?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun looked at the book. It wasn’t too thick, so he agreed.

“Sure,” he answered.

Chanyeol couldn’t see how Baekhyun looked like, but just by hearing Baekhyun’s voice and his nonstop chattering, he fell in love with him. Chanyeol knew it was weird; he fell in love with someone who he just met a few months ago, but he didn’t care. He felt complete when Baekhyun was with him. Falling in love with him felt like a missing puzzle that finally fell into the right place. It felt right. Maybe it was true, love was indeed blind.

“Hey, were you zoning out this whole time?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts. He could imagine Baekhyun pouting right now. He chuckled.

“Why were you chuckling?” Baekhyun asked again.

“Nothing,” Chanyeol answered. “You’re cute, you know.”

Baekhyun blushed. There was no one in his entire life who ever said that he was cute. He was hospitalized since he was very young, and he had trouble making friends.

“Um, let me take you back to your room, it’s getting dark,” Baekhyun said, shifting the topic.

“Oh, okay. Let’s go.” Chanyeol replied.

Baekhyun held the taller male’s hand and guided him to his room. Little did Chanyeol knew, Baekhyun was also in love with him. His personality, his dorky smile, his jokes, his voice, everything about Chanyeol was attractive for Baekhyun. He was helplessly in love even though he knew that he didn’t have much time left, but at least Chanyeol gave him a reason to enjoy his last days. His last days before he would disappear from this world. His last days before he wouldn’t be able to see Chanyeol’s smile. His last days before he wouldn’t be able to hear Chanyeol’s voice. His last days before he wouldn’t be able to hold Chanyeol’s hand anymore. He mentally sighed. He didn’t want to die. He wanted to stay alive. He wanted to spend his whole life with Chanyeol.

Oh God, Baekhyun thought.

All I ever wanted was to live.