Chapter 3

Taste of Coffee

One of the wildest things that could happen to Sarang in this wonderful day of June 4, was getting lost in an unfamiliar district. The experience wasn't so bad. In all honesty, it was fun and thrilling. Plus, it diverted her attention away from school.

Reversing back, it started with Bori barging in her house on nine in the morning (on FREAKING Saturday) and woke Sarang up from her peaceful slumber. Sarang being Sarang, refused to do so but Bori being Bori, however, managed to get her off the bed and ready herself to go to wherever Bori was taking her. After saying her greetings to her parents in the altar, she left with Bori (not before begging her sister for some money). Sarang found herself being dragged all the way to the bus stop, heading northeast of Busan, to the newly inaugurated amusement park. Being it's first day of opening, they were giving free passes to everyone.

No wonder Bori was getting all worked up. Of course, a part of her also knew it was because of her.

The problem came afterwards when they read the map, which was drawn at the end of the park brochure, wrong. One thing led to another and that's how one wrong turn landed them in a picturesque colony. The good thing was, the place was populated enough for criminals to stay low in broad daylight (Bori's opinion) and the bad thing... None of them knew the way to the amusement park even if they knew the name.

Thus, here they are, lost and enjoying under the hot scorching sun.

"Now what?" Sarang asked, on her chocolate ice cream. They were sitting on a wooden bench situated in a public garden. The cold taste of ice cream relinquishing their dry throat and giving them the will to walk under the intensity of the sun. The shade of the tree was helping their body cool off.

"I don't know. For now, let's just stay here. The heat is making my eyes heavy. I really miss my bed," Bori sighed. Fiddling with her ice cream stick which was completely off.

"Karma, Bori. Karma," Sarang smirked, implying to the previous incident where she was forced to abandon her sleep.

"Wonder if Ahreum is having fun in her date. I hope her fear isn't going to ruin it."
They didn't know where Jimin was going to take Ahreum; the latter didn't know herself. It took a lot of convincing to do from his side and plenty of encouragement (and threats) from Sarang and Bori.

"I am hoping for the same thing. We can but trust Ahreum on this. And talking about Ahreum, I got reminded of our exams," Sarang paled. Their exams were going to take place in two weeks, and Sarang still had a lot to cover. Heck, she didn't even start on Maths. That old, grouchy Mr. Sonam will leave no room insulting her for her lame marks...again.

Bori groaned. "Let's not talk about it. I have had enough of mom nagging about it at home."

"Okay, fine. But we really need to get out of here. My stomach's growling for food. This ice cream isn't enough."

With much reluctance, they stood up from the bench. Disposing their ice cream stick in the nearby bin, they set off to find a cheap restaurant. Unlike what they show in dramas, high school students don't receive much to go in a fancy looking restaurant or go shop in malls unless he or she is rich or have parents (sisters in Sarang's case) that didn't mind giving their children hundreds of dollars every day. Or is she and her friends the only case? 😅

"-like that we can go in for free!" A familiar voice rang not far from where where the girls stood. They were about to enter a traditional looking shop when Sarang's ears perked up on hearing that voice. She halted, making Bori to stop in her tracks.

"What's wrong?"

Sarang snapped out. "Nothing. I heard-"

"Don't you understand the meaning of "no"? I refuse to play along with you."

This time, both of them whipped towards the source of the voice. While Bori's eyebrows raised in surprise, Sarang's eyes widened. Her breath got stuck in her chest and it felt as if her blood was flowing at a slower rate.

"Isn't that Luhan and Sehun?"

Sarang felt her whole body getting paralyzed. Her fears and guilt coming back at her. She wasn't ready to face him or Baekhyun for that matter. Luhan didn't know about her mistake and she feared his reaction once he found out. Evem though most people may have called it a petty thing to be worked up on, her action could have cost someone's life.

"Let's go, go, go,go!" Sarang whispered loudly whilst trying to hide her face with one hand and pulling Bori with the other. Her back was already facing the two boys standing and arguing some feet away from them.

"Sarang! Bori! It's them!"

Dread filled Sarang's eyes.

"It is going to be alright, Sarang," she heard her friend whisper back. Bori held Sarang's hand and tightened her grip on it as if to prevent her from running away.

"Hi!" Sehun chirped. Luhan didn't say anything while approaching them. His eyes shifted curiously when it landed on Sarang though. He saw how robotic and stiff her body looked while turning back. She didn't even look up until some time later, furthermore, she wouldn't look at him. Luhan knew he wasn't in her good books and honestly, he didn't care. But he wasn't stupid enough to tell ignorance from avoidance.

Right now, he wondered why she was avoiding him.

Bori reflected back Sehun's "hi" after releasing Sarang's hand. 

"You came at the right time!" Sehun grinned widely. He elaborated further when he noticed the girls' quizzical expressions. "Actually, the couple owning that restaurant," he pointed at the shop they were in front of earlier, "is celebrating their 30th anniversary and giving every couple free food! How awesome is that?!"

"So...?" The girls trailed of.

"So, I was thinking if we can act like fake couples." He said it with a smile so bright it almost blinded Sarang (or maybe because she was facing the sun's direction).

“Sorry, what?" Sarang replied, trying to block the sun with her hands. Her eyes were starting to hurt. It was a good thing. It gave her a reason to not look at Luhan. Its mere presence makes her uncomfortable.

"Will you, Sarang and Bori, be our lunch dates?" 

Cheeky Sehun made both the girls nervous for a second before Luhan smaked him on his head.

"Oww!What was that for!"

"He is stupid. Please ignore him. Let's go."

"But they didn-"

"I think it is a great idea." 

Sarang's mouth hung open when Bori said that. The latter tried hard not to succumb to the glare Sarang was giving and even though it scared her, she had a good feeling about it.

"That's great!" Sehun exclaimed.

"B-but they wont believe us!" Sarang tried.

"Don't worry. My acting skills and hyung's nonchalance will drive every doubt out of the window."

"Can you enlighten me how his nonchalance can help?" Bori asked. Sarang looked at her incredulously. It wasn't the time to ask questions. They needed to leave.

"It chases people away."

Bori's mouth formed a 'o'.

"Does that mean you are in?" Sehun asked with such hopeful and delighted expression that Sarang hesitated to say no bluntly (even if that meant spending time with Luhan). They were getting free food too. Her hesitation caused a series of plea and agyeo from Sehun.

"Okay fine fine! A-are you okay with this?"

Luhan shrugged. "It is free food,"

Finally Sarang spoke with a heavy sigh. "We are in, Sehun. Lead the way."

 

 

This was the most awkward moment of every awkward moment in Sarang's life. It became even more awkward after her brain started showing her a preview of all her past awkward moments. It was so awkward that all her guilt regarding Baekhyun flew back from Narnia to her.

Luhan and Bori sat near each other where as, Sarang and Sehun sat opposite to them. 

"What a wonderful couple you two are!" A lady chimed, looking at Sehun and Sarang. She had a black apron over her comfortable summer dress (work pants and Hawaiian shirt), carrying a tray full of their orders.

"Feel free!" A deep voice resonated and out came a man, wearing the same exact apron as the woman, from behind the curtains in the counter.

Unlike what Sarang had expected, the shop wasn't packed with lovey-dovey couples (saved her and Bori a whole lot of cringing and mental trauma). There were some costumers, but most of them were in their 40's.

"Many people went to the amusement park which just opened. I have heard they are giving free passes," the lady said, placing their dishes on the table. "Oh, my. It just had to be on our anniversary too."

Both Sarang and Sehun gave her sympathetic smiles while the other two people sitting opposite to them didn't seem to care. Both were in their own world: Luhan eyeing his food, Bori staring in the air.

"Aunty, we didn't order any sherbet," Sehun said as she placed the sweet drink to each of their sides.

"It's a personal gift from us to you beautiful couple," the lady smiled before closing in to Sehun and whispering, "and to add some sweetness to their relationship." Her eyeballs moved towards Luhan and Bori.

Both Sarang and Sehun giggled. The lady probably thought Luhan amd Bori were in a fight.

"Happy eating!" She went back to the counter near her husband.

Sarang watched them enviously. The couple looked like they were in their 50's but, the love that shined through their eyes was still young. For a minute, she pictured her own parents in them. If her parents were alive, would they be just like them?
Her chest constricted. She missed them...a lot.

Bori must have sensed what she was thinking because suddenly she said, "The ramen looks tasty! Want to try?"

"No, I am fine," Sarang smiled, trying a spoon of her own fried rice.

"Can I taste it?" Sehun asked instead which earned him a fierce glare from the girl. "Or not."

While eating, Sehun tried hatching a conversion. He asked Sarang why they were here and so. She answered him saying that Bori and she had come to visit the amusement park but decided against it once seeing how crowded it was. It was a lie, but Sarang couldn't bring herself to tell him that they got lost and ended up in this part of the district. She had her pride.

When she asked the same question to him his reply shocked both her and Bori who even stopped her spoon mid-way to look at him. Sehun and Luhan lived in a colony, about twenty minutes walk from here.

"Don't you have a public school here? Why come all the way to East Wing?" Sarang sqeaked.

"We only have schools from nursery to middle. No high school. There is one high school but, it's private and exclusively for the rich only."

"Sehun, are you and Luhan neighbors?"

A pause.
He turned towards Luhan as if seeking answers from him but, only received back Luhan's slurping and munching profile.

"Kind of. Yes," Sehun replied after a short while. His answer, however, sounded tentative.

They chattered some more and exchanged numbers. Surprisingly enough, Bori agreed to give him her number. It was funny how both of their phones were of the same model . Their covers matched, even. It was dark green in colour. The only difference was, Bori's phone was black in color and Sehun's was white.

"Do you want some more?" The lady came to them carrying a bowl of rice. By that time, the awkwardness was no more.

Sehun politely declined. Sarang shook her head. In all of this, Luhan had his unwavering attention on the food and kept devouring it.

 

After finishing their food, they went to the counter to thank the couple. They happily accepted it.

"If our Ara was alive, she would have grown as beautiful as you," the lady said, referring to both Sarang and Bori. Her voice sounded so distant and painful. Even the man's eye clouded with an unfathomable emotion. But, to Sarang it felt so familiar... So close to home.

"You could have been friends," the man said in a whisper. "She would be turning 17 this December."

"How did she..."

"Car accident," came the man's reply. "She was only 8 when a drunk driver...."

Sarang's heart string pulled on hearing "drunk driver". That was exactly what caused her parents, their lives too. Her hands pulled into a fist.

"She is the same age as me. We would have been great friends," Luhan commented. "Knowing both of you, I bet she would have been a good kid."

Sarang watched in astonishment as he said that. It was just like what happened yesterday; he was like a whole new person. It made her question who exactly is Luhan?

"Do you think so?" The lady sniffed. Her warm tears cascading down her cheeks. Her husband tried to control his own tears. Rubbing his wife's back, he tried to comfort her.

"Absolutely."

That was the second time she saw Luhan smile and the second time her heart beat increased because of him...in a good way. The first time her heart raced, it was because she was angry at him for accusing her of stealing his neckpiece.

Ah...she almost forgot about Baekhyun.

She doesn't know if Luhan will judge her or not, but what she did know was that she needed to come clean with him for her peace of mind.

"Luhan," Sarang called when she came out of the restaurant behind him. The said boy turned around towards her and raised a brow.

"What?"

"I want to tell you something."

"What?"

"About what happe-" 

"That was awesome! We should come with A-" Bori zipped shut when she saw Sarang and Luhan standing face to face with these weird tension radiating from Sarang. "Uh... i think i left my wallet haha." 

But before Bori could have escaped, Sarang stopped her. With a loud sigh, she said, "Let's go, Bori. We will miss the bus if we don't hurry back."

Bori cursed herself internally. One look at Luhan and she knew she had interrupted Sarang in whatever she was doin. Luhan looked confused with his eyebrows narrowed and scrunched (adorably, ahem).

"Bori, let's go."

When Sehun came out of the shop after using the toilet he was greeted by Luhan and the retreating figure of girls.

"They are leaving? I wanted to say thanks!"

 

Soon, they found themselves appreciating the beautiful mountain views and plain green fields. There were houses scattered far from each other, creating a relaxed, peaceful feel. In short, they were lost. Technically, they have been lost since the beginning, but this time the signs of civilization decreased down and it was starting to get late.

"If we weren't lost, i would be enjoying myself with this view," Bori sighed, viewing the sight presented to her. "We could have asked for direstions from them!"

Sarang sighed. "I am sorry okay? I freakes out when you came out. I was going to tell Luhan about me losing the keys when you came." 

Bori tsked. Well, she was guilty about that. Both of them heaved another sigh at the same time before deciding to move again and ask any residents around for directions. The poor girls however were met with disappointments when the only locals they met were elders above the age of 70 who had only vague idea of where the new bus station was. 

Sarang and Bori wanted to laugh when they found out the bus station was just inaugurated. Talk about luck. 

"Do you think i am dragging both of our lucks down?" Sarang huffed.

"I don't know friend. My luck is that of a bald man winning a comb too."

"What time is it?"

"3:30," Bori replied, sitting down on the bench next to Sarang. There was a PCO near the bench and the greenery surrounding them reminded Sarang of Studio Gibli setting.

"Am i the only one excited about this?" Bori snickered at herself. Good that she knew she sounded ridiculous. "I mean i can call my parents as the last resort. Moreover i am having this great feeling that something good will happen."

"Aigoo, Bori wake up," Sarang said, jokingly shaking her friend. "We are not going to find a portal to another world."

"No, i am not talking-"

"Sarang? Bori? What the heck are you doing here?" 

Both said people turned towards the boy calling them and gasped. 

"Sehun?"

"Yes, Sehun," he huffed childishly (which both the girls found cute, but won't say out loud). "Both of you left without informing me."

"Haha sorry Sehun. We were In a hurry to catch the bus," Bori awkwardly said.

The boy raised both his eyebrows and looked at them incredulously. "But the bus is on the other end. It will take 15 minites of drive from here to reach there."

Both the girls grew stiff. Bori cursed herself in her head while Sarang gave her a subtle glare. No where in earth would they admit to him that they got lost.

"We-we were just looking around, you know wandering, looking ahahaha lol," Sarang laughed awkwardly. Sehun believed her anyway. 

"Thats great! This is a rarely visited area, but it's the most beautiful part of this city," he described animatedly. He then asked if they had ever come here to which both of them shook their head. Sarang wondered if they had said wrong when she saw a weird twinkle in his eyes. 

 

 

Bori pulled up her glasses and squeezed her eyes to see the signboard clearly. In bold words it was written "The Nam House." They were standing in front of a two storey building, fenced by concrete grey walls. The building was yellow in colour and the roofs were painted red. As they neared the mansion, voices of children could be heard. It made Sarang think if it was a nursery.

"You think this is a nursery?" Bori leaned towards her and whispered.

"I don't think nurseries keep children this late. Isn't it 4 already."

"This, girls, is my humble home," Sehun declared. 

Sarang couldn't probe further when Bori pointed at something. Following the direction where Bori's index pivoted, Sarang felt time pause for a minute when she saw another signboard at the top of the doorframe.

WELCOME TO NAM'S ORPHANAGE.

"T-this..."

"Stop goofing around, Seungyeol! Come back here!"

Sarang's ears picked up on that scary yet, heart fluttering voice.

Wait, did she say heart fluttering? She started shaking her head vigorously trying to delete the thought. Actually, she didn't even think that! Yeah. It's done and forgotten. Coming back to the topic, what was Luhan doing here? 

"Seungyeol, stop-" Luhan stopped mid-sentence when he saw Sarang and Bori. The boy supposedly known as seungyeol ran past the two girls while laughing.

"What are the two of you doing here?" Luhan asked with creased brow.

"I brought them here. They said they have never been here so i wante to show them around," Sehun proudly announced. "What better place than to start from our home!"

"Sehun," Luhan sternly called him as if to wake the guy up from his dreams. When Sehun turned towards him both of them looked as if they were having a telepathic communication making Sarang uncomfortable. Maybe they weren't wanted here?

Luhan mumbled some incoherent words before his eyes caught on to Sarang's. The latter looked away immediately and tried to distract her thoughts elsewhere. 

"There's no harm in showing them around," Sehun pouted innocently.

Luhan sighed defeatedly before nodding slowly to Sehun. The later smiled brightly in response again before excitedly pulling the girls.

The first thing he showed the them was the playground. Many children playing various game that could send anyone a wave of nostalgia. Except for the little girl that kept on glaring daggers at her. When their eyes met, the little girl turned away instantly and watched the girls in front of her play 7 stones. It looked like she was alone.

"What were you trying to say earlier?"

She jumped on hearing Luhan. She didn't know he was standing close to her and it made her nervous.

"Huh?"

"Nothing," he said with a sigh.

Sarang gave him a weird look. How can he say "nothing" after saying something. It made her even more curious. Before she could have opened , he walked ahead.

"Let's go."

Sarang huffee. Enigma. Boys are enigmas.
Suddenly she felt chills running down her spine again. Turning back, she thought she saw that little girl staring angrily at her again.

Girls are enigmas as well, Sarang thought with a shudder.