Chapter 2

Taste of Coffee

Sarang tried not to laugh on seeing Bori's face when she realized it was Maths period next. The former knew she had no right to laugh at someone else's misery when she herself wasn't in any better position.

Having Luhan beside her to "teach" her was one of the worst decisions Mr. Sonam ever made. Her mind reverted back to yesterday where perfectionist Luhan didn't give her so much of a glance and ignored her existence like plague...which he does to everyone except for Sehun. Only after Mr. Sonam threatened the boy, did he look into Sarang's book and circled out all her wrong calculations. His corrections were tolerable until he saw the empty space kept on question 4 and commented that only a stupid person would not be able to solve it. Her head had blown up like a volcano (if that's even possible). Thus, she left school all mad and furious.

Guess Luhan is as reluctant to move from his place as Bori. Lucky for Sarang.
He didn't turn out to be the obedient jerk she had thought him to be.

Yet... Looking at Bori, she felt funny. Her forever tag! It seems both of them share the same kind of luck: a bad-timing, never-in-good-situation and hopeless kind of luck. It's up to people to whether take it as bad or good.

Another thing common in both of them is their obsession. For Sarang, her dramas and for Bori her animes. Sarang may be reluctant to let go of her 95 imaginary boyfriends, Bori, on other hand, worships her anime crushes like religion. Insult one and you will face hell.

"What did I do to Sir Sonam?" Bori grumbled. "Why sent me all the way back? I can hardly see the board from there."

"Even with your glasses?"

Bori glared at Sarang. "My power increased, okay? The new glasses are on their way."

"Bori, good luck,' Ahreum said, pumping a hwaiting gesture. "Don't get yourself tangled up in a mess like our dear Sarang here."

Both girls snorted. 

"I would lucky enough if my vision works and I am still bitter about you bringing Jimin over. Being the intelligent girl you are, my mom gave me a dead look as if accusing me for lying."

Ahreum's eyes widened. "You told your mom I am dating Jimin?!"

"No," Sarang interrupted. "Technically, she said that her mom didn't believe her when she tried to explain that Jimin wasn't her boy."

Ahreum peered at both of them before turning her back on them.

Sarang and Bori high-fived while giggling.

Their happiness, however, was short lived when their nightmare Mr. Sonam, entered in the class looking as like a monster ready to devour anyone who oppresses him.

"You glasses girl," he called out. His Indian accent ringing clearly along his broken English. "Why are you still there? Didn't this girl tell you that your seat is down there in my class? Stop wasting time and go before I take some of your recess time."

Grouchy old man, thought Sarang. She must have been a playgirl in her last life to have her present ruined by boys. And Mr. Sonam must have been her one ex who loved her dearly.
Sarang couldn't help but gag at her own imagination. Mr. Sonam? But again... She would like to see how she had him wrapped around her little finger.

Her daydream stopped abruptly on hearing noises of stationaries dropping by her side. A gasp escaped from involuntarily. She craned her neck back at Luhan's original position.

When did Bori even leave her desk?!

Luhan squatted down to pick up his pen and markers. He grabbed his pencil bag to put all his things in it. Like a good girl Sarang was, she tried to help him, but was stalled on catching his warning glance as if saying he didn't need help. 

Her eyes furrowed.
If he doesn't want her help, he won't get one. She should have known better than to offer her kindness to someone who doesn't value it.
Geez, it was only a help! It wasn't like she was asking him his pen as a reward.

And even in between all her complains, she took a double take on him. His back her while trying to stretch his way to a marker. His usually high and broad shoulders looked so small and vulnerable. 
She was pulled out of her thoughts when Luhan stood up. Her eyes followed his movements curiously, all her earlier tantrums disappearing into thin air.

Sigh.
What's wrong with her head?

"Oh." Her eyes caught on the green mechanical pencil by the leg of her chairs. Grabbing it, her eyes moved to the boy sitting on Bori's allocated desk.

"Psst!" She hissed lowly.

He didn't look.

"Psst!"

He didn't look.

"Neighbor next door!"

"Hey, flower boy!"

"WHAT?!" He finally whispered, glaring daggers at her.

"Is this yours?" She showed him the mechanical pencil. And judging by the stunned look he gave her, she guessed she was right.
"Here!" Whispered she before throwing the pencil on his table as subtly as possible. "In the end, I ended up helping you, arrogant!"
Sarang pulled out her tongue to him to which he tched.

"-this step is where you should be careful!" Mr. Sonam's voice boomed throughout the class. He went on solving the equation without wasting a second to ask students if they understood. Maybe he had the hunch that hardly anyone would ask questions... That's just how high school works.

Sarang heaved dejectedly. Maybe she wasn't a playgirl in her last life... She must have been a Maths honor student who was too proud to teach others in need. Definitely that.

 

Sarang hissed. She nearly swallowed the chemical, nevertheless she got the golden chance to taste it. And it tasted like very sour lemon. Her subjected tongue felt as if it had been treated with very hot and at the same, very cold lemon juice.

"Are you okay?" Bori asked in concern. "Although the chemical isn't very hazardous, Sir warned us not to go easy on it."

"No wonder!" Sarang scoffed, putting the pipette down. The innocent looking chemical in the flask lying on the dirtied table filled with other chemicals.

"Just how many Carbons are there in the world? I won't be surprised if they have it till 100."

"You are exaggerating," Ahreum, who worked on the table next to their's with her partner Nara, said.

"Shut up and work on your practical. I didn't ask for your opinion."

Ahreum tched. "And you call Luhan, cold and blunt."

"I may be blunt but, I am amazing. No need to be jealous, sister. You will become like me one day if you work hard."

Ahreum shook her head while her partner, Nara, laughed at it.

"Sarang, help me with the composition," she heard Bori say. And as requested, she helped her chemistry partner on fixing the amount of Carbon 12 in the furnance.

After three times of doing the experiment, Sarang and Bori started to answer the questions which consisted mainly on mathematical calculations. Much to Sarang's charging.
They decided to go out of the lap and stay in the nearby garden. Their chemistry teacher had allowed the students to do that as long as they finish their work.

"Hey, Sarang," Bori said. "Back in the maths class... What did you say to Luhan?"

"Nothing," sarang replied, scratching her head and looking at Bori's book for reference to ensure that she did her work correctly. "Why are you asking?"

"Nothing... Just like that."

"Ah! Now that we are talking about it, how do you like it in your new seat?"

Bori wanted to laugh at how fast Sarang's attention shifted from the chemistry calculation to her. The latter had the attention span of a goldfish, hadn't she?
"It's actually cool. Sehun is friendly and the boys are fun to be around with."

Sarang seemed surprised. "That's the first. What did they do to my friend Bori?"

"They are the only ones whom i have met who don't take a girl's kindness as their initiative to start a relationship," Bori shrugged. "It would have been good if I could talk to them freely."

"You still have trouble talking to boys?" Ahreum popped out of nowhere and sat down next to Sarang.

Bori simply nodded.
Bori had trouble communicating with the opposite gender. The girl had shrugged it off as a result of not being around with boys and for thinking it's a waste of time to hang around with boys who only want to play with girls.

Sarang had a hunch that it had something to do with most of the boys in her family or relatives being a playboy or some having affairs behind their wife's back.


"I think it will get better once I start socializing with boys," Bori assured. "Nothing to be worried about."

The bell rang.

"It's lunch! Finally!" Sarang chided.


Turns out, the day wasn't as bad as Sarang thought it to be. Her chemistry practicals (with Bori) went smoothly without any mistake AND importantly, she understood today's Maths lesson even though she had been distracted halfway. It IS a BIG achievement for Sarang. And Mr. Ji suk Jin happens to be absent again. As a student what other news is as sweet as having a teacher absent WHEN he/she has block periods?

Unfortunately, some people couldn't see their blissfulness and decided to make their class clean up the messy gym and basketball hall for the last two periods. Mr. Kim Jongkook, their gym teacher, substituted for Mr. Ji Suk Jin. For that particular reason the boys didn't complain and skip like like they usually do. They knew Mr. Jungkook was not a force to mess with; his strong built physic wasn't just for show.

Their class consisted of 41 students: 19 boys and 22 girls. They were divided into two groups of 20 and 21 and send to the gym and hall respectively. Sarang and Ahreum fell into the same group while Bori separated from them. Bori's face dropped visibly on knowing where her destination was (the basketball court), making both her friends laugh at her. As they started making fun of Bori, Sarang's eyes unintentionally landed on Luhan standing alongside Sehun who was talking animatedly to him. Sarang's eyes widened momentarily when she saw his lips quiver into a small smile.

The boy whom she thought was incapable of having emotions was flashing Sehun a smile.


Much to Sarang and Ahreum's delight, there wasn't much to do in the gym. Only some stack of plastic chairs in the right corner, a number of hurdles dropped carelessly on the floor and some sweeping to be done. It made them feel more sorry for Bori who had just come out of her sickness due to the very hall she is assigned to.

"If you want to go home early you better finish all of this," bellowed Mr. Jungkook. The gym filled with complains and groans which came to an immediate stop when he glared at them generally. "Do you want to help the other team then?"

They immediately scuttered away, starting their cleaning. No way would they leave this paradise. Compared to the other hall, gym was definitely a heaven. Who knows what things may be in basketball hall after the mess created the day before yesterday. Even if the janitor may have cleaned most of it, words have it that it smells of dried fish and unwashed socks.

The corner where brooms were kept started swarming with students, each of them trying to grab a broom each. They HAD to do something to pry away Mr. Jungkook's attention from them as individuals. It didn't help that he barked at whoever he sees as useless.

Sarang grumbled when she was met with empty cemented floor unlike Ahreum, who had managed a small broom for herself. She looked around and noticed that some of her classmates who were in her shoes had the same confused expression. Even Luhan looked a little lost on what to do.

"Sayonara, friend," Sarang said, feigning a depressed face accompanied by light sniffles. "Please tell Song Joongki that I loved him till my last breath."

Ahreum scoffed. "Stop your drama. You are acting as if you are going on a war."

"Going empty handed in there," Sarang pointed towards the centre of gym, "is like facing off Sir Jungkook. I am going on a lost battle, amigos."

"Well then amigos, I am sorry but, I don't have enough pocket money to spend on Song Joongki's fan meet."

Sarang huffed, mumbling incoherent words.

"Those of you who dont have anything, take those hurdles and chairs to the store room while the rest clean the floor."

Sighs rang in the hall and without any complaints, students with empty hand started carrying the said objects. Ahreum went to clean the floor where as Sarang trudged her way to the corner where the things were kept. Debating within herself, she contemplated on whether to carry the chair or the hurdle pieces. Awhile later, she decided to just go with four hurdle pieces.

"Sarang, be careful," said a soft pitched voice. Sarang, who was picking up two hurdles which were lying flat on the floor, tilted her head up before standing up with the hurdles. It was Jaerin, worry evident in her black orbs.

Lee Jaerin had small, brown wavy hair. She had a faint tanned complexion, just like Ahreum, that most people in her school would die to have. She was their class' worry wart. Always filled with concern for others.

Sarang simply waved it off with a laugh. "What's the use of having a healthy body if I can't even lift two hurdle pieces?"

Jaerin shook her head, heaving. "You are not as chubby as you make yourself to be, Sarang. You are actually decent... Do you realize that?"

Sarang replied with a sheepish, "Heh" before grabbing her object.

"Want to go together?" Offered Sarang. Jaerin politely refused saying that she had to go to the office to get the keys to the storeroom. Sarang just wanted to pat the girl in her head, at that moment, for being so cute and endearing. The latter had come just to warn her about the hurdle pieces.

As soon as Jaerin left, Sarang picked up another two hurdles. Only when she tried to lift did she realized how uncomfortable it is to carry things like this. The hurdles didn't weigh much but, carrying it was tricky. At every angle she tried to carry it, Sarang felt as if she would trip over it or scrap her knees in the process.

"Stop being whiny," Sarang heard Mr. Jungkook snap at a boy. "How will you handle responsibilities in future when you can't even handle a simple broomstick?!"

Sarang zoomed away carrying the hurdles.

Bad decision. Very bad decision. She wished she had played attention to what Jaerin said earlier. She faltered for countless times and carrying it might have made her look weak and pathetic among all the people who have seen her.

At least it's better than carrying a stack of chairs.

It was inevitable. Since the storeroom was located outside, there were no other way to avoid students watching her god blessed figure staggering because of these stupid hurdles. She can imagine some of them laughing at her struggle, especially those near the windows.

"Ow, ow, ow," the leg of the hurdles kept hitting her already hurt knees. And thankfully, it was summer. With the sun still blazing like fire and cicadas chirping, she felt her energy draining down to negative.

"Sarang!" The wonderful voice of Jaerin reached her ears. "Let me help you!"

She felt a world worth of load being lifted off of her. "Thanks. I thought today I would be done for; that the day would end with me falling."

Jaerin laughed. "I told you, didn't I?"


Sarang nodded and with that, both of them walked to the isolated block which was their storeroom. The first thing to greet both the girls were dust particles and three people inside the dark store. Since the store only had two windows blocked by piles of boxes, there were no room for the light to pass through. The only source was the door which wasn't enough to brighten the whole room. Jaerin tried to switch on the lights but to no avail.

"It wouldn't work," said Chaerin. "Does it matter where we keep these things? We can just dump them here right?"

Chaerin was the vice president of their school. Surely, she will be nominated as the school captain judging by her personality and her connection with whole student body. The girl was a free spirited, loud and cheerful person. Sarang had never seen the girl upset even for a day.

"It doesn't matter. You can leave it anywhere." Jaerin replied with a nod.

Chaerin cheered, throwing her arms in the air.

"Aren't you too excited to go back in the gym?" A boy Sarang identified as Lee Minhyuk asked.

"That's because I am skipping, duh!" Chaerin answered like it was the most natural thing in the world.

"You are going to run as the next president in the elections next year," another boy called Seungcheol said with a raised brow.

"That's next year," Chaerin giggled. "For now, let's enjoy life!"

The two boys scoffed in chorus. Ignoring them, Chaerin bid her goodbyes to the girls and left. Not long after her leave, Luhan along with Baekhyun came to the scene carrying chairs and hurdles respectively. Sarang noticed how Luhan made Baekhyun stay outside while he placed both their equipments inside. Sarang felt the change in atmosphere. The boys inside the store eyed him with narrow eyes and burning eyes. As soon as Luhan left with Baekhyun trailing behind him, Minhyuk hissed.

"What does he think of himself! I hate his very existence."

Seungcheol agreed. "Just because he is an ace basketball player and has good grades, he thinks he is god."

Even though Sarang shared the same thoughts about Luhan, it sounded harsh when the boys said it. She may not like him but, judging him like that to people other than her two friends feels wrong. Judging Luhan just because of his exterior behaviour seems unjust.

Suddenly, his smiling face flashed in her head.

"Can you not talk bad about him?" Jaerin pleaded. "I feel bad for him...."

"You are too nice Jaerin-ssi," Seungchol said. "Anyway, we will be going now."

They ran out of the store to the gym, pushing and kicking each other.

Boys!

"Sarang, can you hold this for five minutes?" Jaerin held up a key. "It's the storeroom's."

Taking the key gently, she nodded. "I will. Where are you going?"

"Health room! Please don't lose them!" Jaerin dashed off after saying it.

Sarang sighed, staring at the key. If she doesn't focus, losing the key will be as easy as eating ice cream.

"- I am sorry, hyung," Sarang heard a familiar voice. "I will be careful next time."

"Baekhyun, I still think it's not in the store. For some reason I have a bad feeling-"
Her heart stopped. That's-

"Oh, Sarang!" Baekhyun waved enthusiastically. "Where is Jaerin?"

"Health room," Sarang replied with a smile. Her eyes shifted to Luhan who only nodded at her.

That's more than enough, Sarang thought. He is at least acknowledging her presence.

"Let's go, hyung." Before Baekhyun could have gone inside, Luhan pulled him by his collar. The boy looked at the latter in confusion. In return he got a scowl from Luhan... Which might have had a underlying meaning because Beakhyun assured him that he will be okay.

Okay for what?

"What are you searching for?" Sarang asked, observing them. They were searching around the equipments they brought few minutes ago.

"My necklace," Beakhyun said without a glance.

The first thing that came in her mind was how Luhan had accused her of stealing his necklace. She wondered if she it was fate's play to always make her meet with Luhan because of a lost necklace.

"I will help." Sarang joined them in their search and as she was searching around the storeroom, she felt as if she was missing something. Her palms felt empty.

"I will search outside." Luhan walked out and started searching through the grasses when suddenly...
Click!

Both Sarang and Baekhyun's head whipped towards the door which closed due to an unknown force. After seconds of absolute silence all three of them screamed: Sarang screamed because she felt something move around her feet, Baekhyun screamed at his hyung to open the damn door and Luhan screamed at someone who closed the door purposely.

"Sungjae, what the heck!" Sarang heard Luhan growl. Out of all the days Sungjae had to pull a prank, why now? Why when she is present? The storeroom had automatic lock system. It would lock whenever someone closes the door and pushes the button on the doorknob. The lock would-
Lock

Lock

Lock

THE KEY!

Sarang froze that instant. Dread filled her whole system. Now she understood why she felt so empty earlier.

Because she had lost the key.

Oh the universe.

Uneven breaths caught her attention. To her horror, Baekhyun was squatting down with support of the chairs and was breathing in a fast pace.
Panic started eating her.

"Baekhyun! Are you okay?!"

Luhan who must have heard Sarang quickly knocked on the door. "Baekhyun! Sarang, what's happening?"

Baekhyun started coughing fervently and was struggling just to breath. His gasps for air getting desperate each minute. Sarang started to look around. Baekhyun's state was getting worst and worst by minute and she didn't know what to do. Her hands were beginning to tremble as she tried to comfort him by patting his back.

What was happening? Why was he- Sarang gasped loudly.

Baekhyun has asthma?! Why didn't he tell anyone!

"B-baekhyun! What do I do?" Her voice came out shaky.

"Baekhyun! Try to take a deep breath and relax. Sarang, you too. You have to calm Bark down before it gets even more critical," Luhan said.

And as Luhan ordered Sunjae (who was as freaked out as Luhan) to go and get Mr. Jungkook, Sarang tried to calm her beating heart. With much effort, it came under her control.

"Baekhyun, are you okay?" Luhan's voice dripped with concern. It pressured Sarang even more to keep the suffering boy next to her alive until Mr. Jungkook or anyone comes. She believed it was partly her fault for losing the key. If anything happens to him, she won't be able to forgive herself. Ever.

"Baekhyun, calm down," Sarang said. "Take a deep breath."

"The hell," Baekhyun choked out. "I...c-can't...I."

Sarang's eyes widened in realization that he was losing consciousness. This wasn't good.

"Don't let him lose consciousness!" She heard Luhan say. He must have heard Baekhyun's fading voice. "The possibility of him landing in ICU or any dangerous medical condition will increase."

"Damn it," Sarang cursed. She seriously had no idea what to do. Searching for the key in this darkness would be foolishness. The only way to open the door would be to break it and neither of them possess that strength. Only a super human-

She heard a dhok!

And another.

And another.

And another.

"Luhan, are you stupid?" Sarang stared at the door as if it was Luhan she was seeing. "Do you-" she averted her eyes towards Baekhyun whose gasps increased in pace. Patting the boy hard on his back, she prayed it would be enough to keep his eyes open.

She heard another dhok and still continuing. Sarang felt the door shudder and move feverently. She saw the lines of light adorning at the doorframe whenever Luhan tried to push it. Part of her knew it wouldn't open with his force but, part of her wished it would. She was feeling nauseous every passing second.

"Baekhyun!" Luhan cried through gritted teeth. "You better not close those damn eyes! DON'T YOU DARE!"
The door knocked with much force this time. "Stay awake!"

Sarang kept her stare at the door. He, whom she never thought would care, was pushing himself to save his friend. It shocked her how much his fragile looking body could endure. And with each vibration he created, it revived her will.

"Luhan is doing something stupid just for you," Sarang whispered to no one. "I can't let it go to waste."

Looking back at Baekhyun who was on the brick of closing his eyelids, she said, "Baekhyun, I apologiz for what I am about to do."

Slowly laying him down, she opened his mouth. And with the bitter thought of losing her first kiss to resuscitation, she bend down her head towards him.

 

Meanwhile, Luhan continued beating himself against the door. No matter how much it hurt, no matter how useless it may seem, he went on. If the door had been like any ordinary wooden door, it would have fallen down by now. He was about to bang on it again when he heard Mr. Jungkook's voice from behind. Almost all of their classmates came from behind him.

"Luhan, what happened? Sunjae came up to me and-"

"Sir, please. I will explain later but for now, forcing this door open is more important."

His pleading looks made Mr. Jungkook shut up and comply what he said. In one swift movement, he opened the door (much to Luhan's chagrin) and revealed them a very shocking surprise.

Sarang kissing Baekhyun...?

Loud gasps filled the air and students started whoo-ing until Luhan cursed aloud.

"! Call a doctor!" Luhan immediately went beside Baekhyun. Rubbing his palms in hopes of helping him be awake.

And that was enough to cause a turmoil among them. Their sly smiles changed to bewildered glances when they figured Sarang wasn't kissing Baekhyun but, giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Luckily, Baekhyun still hadn't lost his consciousness but, it was hanging by a thread.

"Sir, I brought his air pump," Jaerin came running towards him, panting and completely exhausted. Following her came Sehun who had immediately informed her to request an air pump from the health room once he heard about Baekhyun from Sunjae, who came running towards him after informing Mr. Jungkook. Sehun cursed his luck for being in a separate group today... Of all the other days.

He had quickly gone to Jaerin since she was the only girl whom Mrs. Yoo Run Hye, their health teacher, trusted with the medicines and such. Jaerin, on hearing the news, didn't waste any time in searching for extra air pumps. For them it had taken ages to find one but, they weren't more late.

"Baekhyun, how are you feeling?" Mr. Jungkook asked after giving Baekhyun two to three doses of the pump. He helped the boy to sit up along with Luhan. As for Sarang, she slumped down in her position, trying to get her wobbly legs and hands to relax. Bori and Ahreum immediately ran beside her and tried to comfort.

"Sleepy," Baekhyun answered groggily.

Luhan sighed while Mr. Jungkook laughed heartily. "I will call your parents and then you can go home and rest. As for the rest of you, go to your class. Last bell's about to ring in 15 minutes."

They chorused a "Yes" and walked away talking about the scene they witnessed a while ago.

"Mrs. Kim," Mr. Jungkook called Sarang. She looked up at him who was supporting Baekhyun with one of the latter's arms slinging around his neck. Luhan was on Baekhyun's other side, doing the same thing "Good thinking."

"Thank you, sir. But it's not my credit to take. It was because of Luhan," Sarang answered honestly. She saw Luhan eyeing her with surprise. "If he wasn't there, I would have fainted instead of helping him. And thank you, Sir. Without you, we wouldn't be able to get out."

Mr. Jungkook spared Luhan a glance before speaking again. "Then we have Mr. Xi to thank again. By the time I had crashed the door, it was already worn out. I bet even without me it would have opened."

With that, Mr. Jungkook and Luhan carried sleeping Baekhyun away. It was funny how Beakhyun was technically sleep walking in school.

Sarang watched Luhan's retreating back. His coffee brown hair moving with his body.
Her mind flashed back to how he tried to break the door. How he screamed for Baekhyun to stay awake. It was like she was seeing a completely different person. 

"I never knew Baekhyun was asthmatic. Why did he hide such a crucial thing?" Ahreum wondered out. 

"No wonder he got to skip gym with lame excuses all the while I kept on thinking how stupid Mr. Jungkook was to believe them," Bori mumbled.

"The only good that came out of it was, Sunjae won't be able to play a prank for the next few days. He even got detention for pulling that prank."

Sarang felt terrible on learning about Sungjae. It wasn't because she felt bad for him but, because what she did weighed as heavy as his prank. She lost the key to the storeroom and if Luhan wasn't there, gods forbid, Baekhyun could have even died. Her stomach clenched unpleasantly at the thought and she felt getting clogged by her own breath.