Chapter 5: Only exception

Lost and Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

 

Krystal’s shade of pink never fades away when they went out for dinner after what happened. She wanted to assume that it was just his way of being friendly, but she couldn’t help but think that it could mean something more, and that thought made her blush more. Hyuk noticed how she kept playing with pasta throughout the night beside him, scrunching up her eyebrows now and then. He could tell that she was thinking about what Hongbin did, and he didn’t like that at all. His head then turned to the man in question, sitting in front of him. He was also looking down at his dinner, eating quietly. The silence was then cut off when Hyuk’s favourite ‘Galbijjim’ song playing. Hongbin looked at Hyuk, assuming that it was his phone ringing, but he still remained silent. 

 

“Aren’t you going to pick that up?” he asked, but Hyuk still had a blank face.

 

“But, it’s not my phone?” he checked his phone and there was no one calling him.

 

“YAH Hyuk-ah! Did you change my ringtone to that stupid song again??” Krystal held her buzzing phone in her hand with someone calling her on the screen. Hyuk then remembered him changing it a few weeks ago as a prank.

 

“You finally noticed? Pabo-yah, I changed it a long time ago. Didn’t anyone call you all this while? Are you that anti-social?” he teased.

 

“Tch, I only have you and we live under the same roof,” she whispered so low. Rolling her eyes in response, she got up and went outside to answer the call. When her figure disappeared at the door, Hongbin’s eyes started shaking a bit.

 

“Hyuk ah... I have something to ask you.” Hyuk turned to look at him.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you… think that Krystal might be interested in me… like more than a friend?” Hyuk was taken aback by his question. Why is he asking him about that?

 

“What do you mean? Do you like her?” he questioned his friend.

 

“Yes, I do.” He wouldn’t say that he was shocked by his confession, but it was something that has been lingering in Hyuk’s mind for a long time. After all the time he came over to their house to play games, he knew something like this was bound to happen. Ever since they were in 5th grade, he knew most of his ‘friends’ were just using him to become closer to Krystal. He knew they were never interested in being friends with him. They were dogs. It was fortunate that Krystal never really did like Hyuk’s friends to begin with. She wasn’t that naïve. However, he thought Hongbin wouldn’t be that kind of guy. He was starting to question their friendship when Hongbin disturbed his thoughts.

 

“Well, that wasn’t the real question though. I was wondering if it’s okay for you that I like Krystal.” Now THAT took him by surprise.

 

“What? Why do you want my blessing? I’m not her dad,” he said in a rather mean way.

 

“You’ve been with her for a long time, longer than Amber, Luna or the rest of the gang. I think you play an important part in her life. I don’t know anything about her, why she lives with you, or where her real family are, but I do respect her privacy. I’m sure you know her very well; you’re the only one she totally relies on. I just envy you…” he trailed off after rambling. Hyuk never see him like this, being all flustered. He’s usually the type of person who’s outgoing, funny, loves to play around. He didn’t know Hongbin was this serious about Krystal. Although, he was still not sure of what he thinks of their friendship.

 

“So you used me to get closer to her, is it? Or maybe even replace me,” Hyuk’s voice trembled a bit when he said it out loud, trying to not believe it. Hongbin’s eyes widened.

 

“Heck no! Why would you think like that? Yah, I was the one who was hovering all over you when we became friends, even Krystal was jealous of it! You know that I’m not that kind of person, right?” Feeling a bit relief at his response and the sincerity in his voice, he nodded slowly in agreement. “I really value our friendship. You’re the first person I made friends with when I moved here. I will never use you for any selfish reasons. That’s why I’m asking you about Krystal in the first place. You’re her close friend and I want to make sure that you’re okay with me liking her.” Hongbin is really a pure person, and there was no way in hell he’ll betray Hyuk.

 

“Honestly, between you and Krystal, it’s all up to her. I respect her decision as well as her feelings, so it’s really her that you should be asking. I’m okay as long as it’s you,” he felt a small pang in his heart when he thought of her feelings towards Hongbin, couldn’t differentiate if it was jealousy or just uncomfortable that there could be a slight change in their relationship. However, knowing how Hongbin is totally the boyfriend-material type with a warm and pure heart, he knows that he can leave her in his hands. Oh god, why do I sound like a parent, he thought. They remained silent, playing with their phones until Krystal came back.

 

“Hyoggiee. Luna called inviting us to hang out at a café just a few blocks from here. Can you guys postpone your FIFA match tonight for a while?” Krystal came back being giddy and giggling. Both of the boys unknowingly broke into a smile when she came back.

 

“Ne neee, we can. It’s where they sell the matcha ice cream you like, right?” he patted her head as soon as she sits down. She nodded her head like a little kid, and turned to Hongbin for his approval as well. Hongbin can’t hide his smile whenever she acts so cute. She only shows this side of her only in front of Hyuk, and he feels blessed to have witnessed it. He just gave thumbs up to her, indicating that it’s okay. “But, why did the call take so long?” Hyuk asked.

 

“Ah…. Nothing, just girl’s stuff, you wouldn’t understand,” she gives a toothy smile. After finishing their dinner, they met up with the gang at the café. Luna, Amber and Wonho were sitting at a booth with their ice coffees and desserts and IM and Minhyuk were at the board games section of the café, picking out games to play.

 

“Ah, so this is the ‘girl’s stuff’ you were talking about,” Hyuk nudged towards Wonho wearing a tank top, his biceps more defined than before. Krystal just giggled and proceeds to sit next to the girls while the boys sit next to Wonho. IM and Minhyuk came back with a f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter