5

Thawed Hearts

“Kyuhyun.”

          Jongwoon stopped walking and stood still. He stared at the stranger bewilderedly. He then tossed the can of coffee to the stranger, in which the stranger’s eye shone with curiosity. The stranger handed the can again to Jongwoon. Jongwoon shook his head in disbelief, opened the can and handed it back to the stranger.

“I thought you know my name. My name is Jongwoon. Not Kyuhyun.”

“What is a name?”

“Seriously?!” Jongwoon snapped.

The stranger took a sip; all of a sudden his face scrunched and stuck his tongue out in disgust. “Is this even safe to drink?! It’s too damn bitter!”

Jongwoon clapped his hand slowly, “You actually know how to curse eh?”

The stranger blinked confusedly.

“Don’t tell me you don’t know how to curse… God. You didn’t even know what a name is. In which expanse of the universe did you seriously come from?!”

          The stranger pretended not to hear Jongwoon and he sat down on the bench. Jongwoon sat beside the stranger.

“So, who is Kyuhyun?”

“Kyuhyun… that is what they call me.”

“What? You actually have a name? We’ve been seeing each other for almost three weeks…” Jongwoon’s brow knitted into a frown. “Are actually blushing right now?”

          The stranger choked on the bitter substance and coughed violently.

“Your reactions are too grand.” Jongwoon rolled his eyes as he patted the stranger’s back gently. Jongwoon stood up and stood in front of him. “You are blushing indeed!”

“What are you talking about?” The stranger asked, he kept his head low and hoped that his silver fringes would hide his eyes and his flushed face.

          He was not conscious of his brows knitting itself into a confused frown, creases formed on his forehead and his lips pursed. He was gotten out from the cloud of his jumbled thoughts when he felt the stinging sensation where Jongwoon had flicked. The latter was grinning at him. He swore he felt he was washed by another wave of weirdness in him. Is that how the stomach does somersaults? Is that how butterflies in the stomach supposed to feel? And it became more confusing because, he was not aware of any of there. He felt that need to know more, to dig deeper on why he is being like this and how Jongwoon supposed to not have any human reaction. Jongwoon should be void of any emotions. Both of their gazes met. No one dared to look away. Jongwoon smiled at him. Another knot of thought got tangled into another, and his insides got more twisted. Jongwoon reached out his hand, offering a handshake.

“Hi, I am Jongwoon.”

The stranger took Jongwoon’s hand and shook it lightly, “Nice to meet you Jongwoon. My name is Kyuhyun.”

          Jongwoon cannot tell whether he really saw Kyuhyun’s lips curved upward or he was just seeing things.