4

Thawed Hearts

“You haven’t told me your name yet.”

          The stranger looked up, placing a set of printed sheets of paper that are held together inside a cover on the table.

“Can you tone down? Can’t you read what the sign says? Tch. What place is this again?”

“It’s called the ‘library’.” Jongwoon rolled his eyes. “I said, you haven’t told me your name. It has already been two weeks and I kept calling you ‘ya’ ‘that person’ ‘you’…”

The stranger moved sideways to face Jongwoon, raising the thing he placed on the table earlier. “What do you call this again?”

Jongwoon let out an annoyed sigh. “It is called a ‘book’ babo-ya~”

“Stupidity is different from ignorance.” The stranger sat properly and pouted as he turned the so-called book to the next page.

“Are you sulking? You don’t look adorable. Stop it please.” Jongwoon commented.

“What is sulking?”

          Jongwoon almost felt his heart crawl up to his throat. The stranger’s grey eyes were looking at him, reflecting sincere innocence. Questions started to brew again in his mind. The two of them held gazes and Jongwoon felt his face heat up. He was the first one who broke from the staring contest. He stood up and excused himself to the restroom.

          The stranger shrugged and continued what he is reading. A girl sat beside him. The girl didn’t say a word and just stared at him, who seemed to be absorbed by what he is reading.

“Jongwoon?” The stranger called out. “Wow. You are surprisingly quiet. Where’s that chatterbox side of yours?”

“It seems that the human world got your interests.”

The stranger let out an amused smile, “Ah. Long time no see, Sooyeon-ah~”

“Stop whatever you are doing before everything is too late.”

“What am I doing?”

“Always remember what you are supposed to do. Have some sense.”

“And since when did we care? Do we even know what ‘care’ is?!” He snapped at her.

“Believe me. I’ve lived long enough to tell you these things…” And she vanished into thin air.

“Who are you talking to?” Jongwoon asked and took his seat.

“I was reading aloud.”

“You weren’t. You sounded so angry.”

“Is that how being angry feels?”

          Then they both stared confusedly at each other.