1

Thawed Hearts

Excuse me~ Are you alright? Hello?”

          Jongwoon didn’t budge. He sat on the cold sidewalk, his back leaning on the crossing traffic light post.

“Hey~ Uhmmmm. Are you alright? Excuse me?” Another voice asked.

“Mister, it’s not healthy to sit there. It’s very cold.”

“Are you okay? Can you stand up? What happened? Uggggh! You reek of alcohol! Hey!” Said another voice.

          And it irritates him more, the voices, the hesitant poking and patting on his shoulder and repeating questions: Are you okay? Are you alright?

          Damn it, Jongwoon cursed mentally. He is not fine. He is not going to be fine either. How can he be fine when he almost drowned himself in soju but he can’t feel being knocked out. Surprisingly odd, he thought, he knew he has low tolerance when it comes to drinking but what had happened just now? He can still think straight. Alcohol was an option, a convenient choice to feel numb, to get away from his conscious world and drift to dreams or even make him think of cotton candies, rainbows and unicorns. Heechul would’ve agreed to this but he would still kill Jongwoon for getting drunk without having someone with him. Having someone with him, he scoffed at the thought. He chuckled and shook his head. He stood up and he felt his knees wobble. He held onto the post and when he thought he already regained his balance, he took one step. He thought he was going to face plant himself on the cold asphalt but someone grabbed him by his arm. Jongwoon pried his arm away from the stranger but the stranger’s grip tightened and Jongwoon felt a shiver ran down his spine.

“Let me go~” He muttered weakly.

          The stranger didn’t let go.

          Jongwoon was about to swing punch to the stranger but he paused when he felt something cold touched his cheek. His eyes grew wide as the snow started to fall. Summer has just started, he thought, but the other people didn’t seem bothered by the sudden snowfall. He turned around to see how the stranger that grabbed him by his arm looked liked. He was stunned, his mouth slightly agape.

          The stranger wore a sapphire blue sweater and white pants. He has silver hair and a complexion as white as snow. He looked normal, like other people do, but as you notice his eyes, they were stormy grey. His pair of orbs was like one blizzard night. He raked his slender fingers through his hair; he looked like he was kind of exasperated.

“W-W-Who are you?” Jongwoon blurted out.

“It’s not fun seeing you like that, Jongwoon.” The stranger answered.

“That is not the answer to my question. Wait…” Jongwoon paused and stuttered, surprise written all over his face, “How on earth did you know my name?”

          The stranger held his hand out to Jongwoon and smiled, but his smile doesn’t have a hint of warmth on it. Jongwoon felt really drawn to the stranger’s eyes. He felt like he was thrown into a trance. He holds onto the stranger’s hand, which felt like he’s holding a figure made on ice. The stranger pulled Jongwoon close and wrapped one arm on his waist. Jongwoon had gotten more dumbfounded as he realized that their faces were only inches apart.

“You wanted to get away from all of this, don’t you?” The stranger said, his voice was barely audible but Jongwoon understood. He avoided the stranger’s gaze which was really boring holes into him as of the moment.

“You wanted feel numb… You wanted to forget all that has happened, don’t you?”

          Jongwoon felt something warm that has started to pool at the corner of his eyes. His throat went dry and he felt colder as each second ticked away. He noticed that their noses were already touching. The stranger’s gaze is really strong; it was really compelling Jongwoon to look, to get lost in to those vast stormy grey eyes.

“Just say a word and I shall grant the things you wanted.” The stranger whispered.

“Yes—”

          Jongwoon got cut off as the stranger closed the distance between them. As the stranger pressed his lips onto Jongwoon, it felt like every nerve in his body froze. He can’t move. He can’t seem to register what is happening as of the moment. The stranger pulled away a bit. Before Jongwoon could recover his scattered senses, the stranger catches his lips again into a kiss. Jongwoon’s eye fluttered close, everything became blurred and suddenly, his surroundings got sharper, but in grayscale. And then it hit him, it was the day that he discovered everything… The day that he learned that everything was a lie… The day that he learned that the one he cherishes the most, was the greatest pretender ever existed…

          The stranger pulled away, this time, it’s for real and held Jongwoon by his shoulders. Jongwoon kept his eyes on the ground, every bit of his memories starting to leave his conscious mind.

“Jongwoon~” The stranger called out.

          Jongwoon looked up to the stranger, his face void of the previous emotions he felt. His lips curved upwards, the smile didn’t reach his eyes and warmth wasn’t there anymore.