Romance

The Royal

It was the break time already, the bell is ringing and the students are coming out from the class: hurried to the cafeteria to fulfill their empty stomach after more than four hours of studying non-stop. Youngbae at the other side is still writing on his second book he brought for Jiyong, he takes more time to write than from his own book as he give some foot note here and there, gave a lighter version of explanation in case Jiyong didn't understand the actual theory on the book.

"Wah Taeyang-kun you're so kind." Mariko said, watching Youngbae with adoration in her pair of cute small eyes. "It must be so great to have Taeyang-kun beside." She continued and smiled towards Youngbae who keep silent and just do his task on writings.

"I don't think so." He mumbled to himself before close the book, he then turned to Mariko, looking at her in a mysterious manner makes the girl have no choice but blushing. It just then he smile at her, the same humble smile he always gave to everybody around him.

"You say something?" Mariko asks, nervously looking at the charming boy whose sits beside her.

And he smile again, the same innocent smile he always give to Seunghyun every time he is on trouble [it always works to make people fall for him and let him go instantly]. "Yamata-san, want to grab some food with me?" He asks in a warm manner, makes the girl blushing harder.

‘Just kill me already.’ She cried inside, as she watching the boy arranges his stuff into his bag.

 Taeyang turned to the girl once he is on his feet. “Let’s go, it’s my treat.” He said kindly, smiling to the girl for the nth time.

At the cafeteria they seat near the big window at the right side of the cafeteria, they sit facing each other on the big wooden table that at least fit for 8 peoples but they only sit there with each other companion as no one really go near Taeyang since the first day: the basketball incident which is causing some of the student involve got suspension for a week. And for some reason he can see that Mariko is uncomfortable as for the past 5 minutes she didn’t even touch her food but then she looked happy at the same time, she looked so deep in thought when Taeyang call her name she even jumps in surprise.

“I’m sorry, am I make you uncomfortable?” he asks politely while keeping his voice soft.

She shakes her head repeatedly, flustered at what the boy said.

He smiled again. “I have something to ask you.” He said in the same soft voice as if he is keeping it just for both of them to hear. “My first dial number is she answered?” he asks carefully looking at the girl straight into her eyes; he really wanting to know.

For a second he can see disappointment on her face as he implies it as ‘she’ but then it soon changed into guilt and she shakes her head once again, now more weakly as she watching his facial expression carefully, it didn’t change but somehow she feels like he is so pained inside. “Can I ask who is she?” she asks carefully.

Taeyang smiling at her once again and it just makes her blushed cheeks got worse, she didn’t know a smile could be so sincere and beautiful like that. 

She feels so warm just looking at the boy in front of her.

“She is my first love.”

 

+

 

Walking to the right after taking the lift as Seunghyun said when she meets him at the lobby before. It was almost the end of the visitor time when she meets him, luckily he was at the VVIP so there is no limit for the approved people to visit and lucky again Seunghyun is that one person which is why now she has the privilege to come and see him. So Chaerin finally found the room where Jiyong is: 518A, just like Seunghyun said again it’s on the right side, luckily again it’s easy to find there is no much of door there. Looking at the door that crack open a little she try hard to be polite and knocks on the door first but being stubborn she is, she entered the room only after a second she knock at the same time Jiyong came out of the bathroom only with a single white towel covering his lower body part.

"!"/"!" Both of them cursed at the same time, turned their view to other direction immediately.

They become quiet for some time till Chaerin close the door: too strong it startled Jiyong, who got his sense back and tried his best to walk back to the bath room. But then thanks to his sore leg that gave away on the way and makes the situation even worse as he falls to the floor, revealing what is inside his towel.

"Do not see this way!" Jiyong cried almost immediately right before Chaerin turn her head back to see what happen and regret it so much after it.

Her face is as red as a fresh tomato on the farm, waiting the farmer to harvest it in the morning. "I didn't see anything." Chaerin hurriedly turned her body back to the door; her back is facing Jiyong, trying to control her uncontrollable beating heart.

Breath in breath out, breath in breath out, she keeps repeating it on her mind. 

While at the other side Jiyong who can't really move just put his hands on his burning face. “Can you lock the door?” he said, almost pleading under his hands: didn’t want to add another incident in case another person came in.

She just nods and locks the door obediently.

But then seeing his crutch is way too far from him to reach he sighed. "Can you help me, Chaerin?" He said while trying to pull the towel to cover his body.

She turned around out of reflex when she heard her name, but soon regrets it when she saw the Jiyong for once again. She turned away for the nth time; with her almost crying face looking at the door once again while cursed at herself inside her head.

"Help me get the crutch." Jiyong barely said with his boiled red face.

Chaerin finally moving from her monotonous place, stepping her feet strangely like a boiled crab: avoiding from seeing Jiyong’s body for the third time, towards the crutch and kick it to Jiyong without even dare to peeks at the boy: in case it hit him or not.

"Thanks." He said getting up, using the crutch with his left hand and holding the towel with the other one, but then he remember his fresh clothes is on the bed. "Ugh c can you pass my clothes on the bed?" Once again he asking for her help and since it looks like Chaerin will freaks out if he gets any closer to the girl he didn’t even move from his position.

She awkwardly pass the clothes from the bed to Jiyong, with her hand starching as long as she can so she didn't have to be too close to the boy while the boy take it more awkwardly before heading to the bathroom and lock the door.

Five minutes later Jiyong came out with his body fully covered in his fresh clothes while the towel is on his head: covering almost all of his upper face. First he is hiding his red face and second he feels too embarrassed to face the girl.

“I didn’t know a VVIP room can be like this.” Chaerin said sensing the boy presence, observing the big room in classic design. White wall with some high-cost paintings hanging on there, furniture that is more like in a five star hotel room then in a hospital even the glass that he used for taking medicine on the bedside table is full crystal. “Wow just wow.” She continued, amazed and she sits on the white leather coach beside the bed, another rich- boy she thought to herself.

Jiyong walk to the bed and sit right in front of Chaerin: put his crutch aside before did the same as Chaerin, observing the room. “Well I don’t even know how VIP rooms like.” Jiyong said and turned to Chaerin with a gummy smile.

She just laughs dryly with a bit of sarcastic here and there. ‘What a cocky bastard.’  She thought to herself looking at the boy judge fully.

While the boy alone looking around: never seems to accustomed with his room even though he has been there for a week already, in his live he never ever see this kind of room except in the television. He have to say a very much thanks to Mr. Choi latter, he thought to himself.

 

+

 

Taeyang at the other side is already outside the school, walking with Mariko to the front gate of the school. They chats for a little before finally someone get to pick Mariko.

"You sure you don't wanna come with us?" She asking for the nth time since Taeyang said he will go take the bus because his dad is busy. "Its better than taking bus." She continued looking at her friend who seems indifferent, almost pleading.

"No its okay, i'm fine Yamata-san." He said and looking to the driver seat where Mr. Yamata is really looks so annoyed and pissed but can't do anything since Mariko seems giving him a murderous aura every second. He bowed to him, not forget to put his polite smile and it seems like his facial face softened by it. "Thank you but i'm okay." He said final. "I'll get going then, Goodbye, nice to meet you sir.." He finish his sentence with a light tone and walked away from the car, he know Mariko wont let him go if he just keeps refuse with words so he just leave.

And Bus stop is just 2 blocks away across the street, besides Mariko is leave very far away from where he live and he is not in a plan for going home straight. So here he is waiting his bus with some people, watching every detail if his surroundings. A cute brunette toddler playfully playing on his mother's lap, a group of girls chit chatting and sometimes looking at his way, a granny who just sit quietly beside him. She turned to Taeyang who looking, he get caught.

"Good evening mam." He said, bows his head to her and smiling. "Where are you going all by yourself?" He asks politely.

The granny smiling back at him, she is old but he can see the trace of beauty in her youngers era. "Good evening young boy, i just back from the grocery." She said kindly.

"Oh i can see that." He said, looking at some paper bag beside the old lady.

He just about to say something when the bus come and the lady rose from her seat. "That is my bus, i'll be get going then." She said, arrange her bags on her hands.

"Let me help you." He hurriedly up and took the bag from the old lady. Let the lady walks in to the bus first while he is following her behind.

"Thank you, i wish my grandson is like you." She said patting Taeyang's back when he put down her groceries at the bus.

"No problem mam, have a safe ride." He said bowing before get out of the bus.

The old lady waves at him on the window with her smile that never leave her face, and just that the bus leaving with him waving back at the lady.

He is about to go back to his place when someone across the street catch his eyes. Someone is standing there, looking at his way, watching his every moves. He just looking at her, his eyes turn red and watery. As if in illusion without realizing it he is already walking to the road, even the sound of people screaming/cars honking at him can't make him stop.

He is about to get hit by a car when he heard her screaming, the car is just 2 second away from him but luckily he can avoid it by jumping to the front. The person in front of him just looking at him, terrified.

"Nuna?" He looked up at her.

And she runs to his aids. "Are you stupid?" She said as soon as she reach him. Cars is stopped creating a big mass traffic jam at the street. "You want me to watch you dead in front of my face?" She screams at the boy who can only watching her.

 

+

 

"Emm ehem so ugh I think i... uh thanks for coming Chaerin." He finally says after a long pause, noticing Chaerin piercing stare towards her.

"Y you remember my name?" The girl asks looking at the boy, clearly surprised at the mention of her own name, forgetting what she thought about him before.

“Of course I say it too before, remember?” he laugh awkwardly as the scene before replaying once again in his mind.

“Ah you are right.” And she laughs the same awkward laugh with her cheeks slowly blushing.

The boy scratches his fore head, removing the towel from his head. "Sorry for uh you know… before." The boy said shyly as his face turns red again so do the girl, they decide not to bring those up again through their stare as soon as their eyes meets and turn to another directions as soon as possible.

And once again the room became quiet with only the clock ticking and the sound of their breath as the two of them trapped on their own thought.

“And thanks.” He continued looking straight into her eyes.

She can see sincerity there: what she never saw before, not from boys around her and especially a rich boy. “What for?” she asks a bit flustered.

“Everything.” He said looking down. “It was so dangerous back then but you didn’t leave me, thank you so much.” He keeps his head down when at the other side the girl is looking at him full of concern. “I’m not supposed to say this but I’m so thankful you didn’t leave me even when I push you away.” And finally he is looking up to see Chaerin in the eyes with his red teary eyes.

The situation is quite for some time with only the two of them looking at each other eyes in solemn manner when the sound of Seunghyun's phone buzzing on the sofa right beside Chaerin. The two finally broke their eyes as each of them looking at the source and soon the awkwardness get it way back when the phone is stop buzzing after a good two minutes.

“Did you hurt somewhere?” he asks after some time, scratching the back of his head awkwardly as he smile to the girl, a shy smile: he didn't know why but feeling shy all of a sudden.

Smiles back, she put her hands inside the pocket of her jacket preventing herself to do the same as Jiyong: scratching the back of her head.  “No, I’m perfectly fine.” She said showing off her white teeth. "Your name is Jiyong right? I can beat 10 boys Jiyong-ah." She said jokingly.

"Careful there, i might be older then you.” The boy answered, mess her blonde hair.

“HEY!” She pouts and does the same to the boy when someone tries to open the door outside.

“Jiyong, why did you lock the door?” a deep voice in the same monotonous polite tone. Seunghyun once again tries to open the door and Chaerin hurriedly run to the door and unlock it. Walking inside he just keep the same expressionless face with no intention to talk about it or just asking one more time when he see Chaerin blushing face, he know something happen but didn’t really care to know, he just checking on Jiyong and tell him to lay on his bed while he injected a new needle for his infusion quietly, just like a professional nurse.

"Oh Mr. Choi your phone ringing twice, i think you drop it when you sit there before." Jiyong said looking at the man who is still busy with his pulse and needles, sticks it to his vein.

He turned to Chaerin for a second. "Chaerin-ssi can you pass me the phone?" He asks politely with his soft voice.

"Sure." Chaerin said and grab the phone and pass it to Seunghyun who just finish his work and unlock the phone. But his face turn white as soon as he saw the caller ID, he hurriedly called back; no answer, that just makes him grow worried at the fact that is didn't know the reason why.

"Mr. Choi?" Jiyong, looking at the man expression he never saw before can't help but asks. "Is something happen with Taeyang?"

But Seunghyun didn't answered to Jiyong and just keep on calling again and again, still there is no answer to his phone call.

"Aren't he should be here by now?" Jiyong said looking to the clock.

Seunghyun looking at him, his eyes is shaking because of the worried but somehow he still can manage himself as he talk so calm. "I'm sorry Jiyong, i have to go now, can i leave you alone ?" He asks, looking at the boy in front of him.

He looked confused but nods at Seunghyu who hurriedly rush to the door after receives his responds but he stopped abruptly as the door is opened and the boy in his sight. He froze on his spot, looking at the boy completely surprised.

So do Taeyang who jump in surprise upon seeing Seunghyun just in front of the door. "What are you doing there dad? You surprise me." He said, rubbing his chest repeatedly.

Seunghyun just walking closer at him, watching him obviously acting thought in front of him. He looked at the boy; straight into his eyes, he hold his shoulder gently as if saying 'what happen?'.

And Taeyang understand it right away and looking up at the man. 'I'll talk about it later.' He mouthed, enough to make Seunghyun calm the inside.

He nods at him, messing his hair before letting him go to his friends, who just watching them in awe. For some reason it so overwhelming, a sweet affection between dad and his son. Jiyong can't help but feel so jealous all of a sudden.

He sighed, why is he feels like that towards him 'you disrespectful bastard!' He cursed himself mentally, but still he feel the sting in his chest. He just can't help his feeling and he just lost in thought he didn't even notice Taeyang is already sit beside Chaerin, talking to her like it wasn't just their first time meeting 'looks like they get along so well' he thought.

Well everyone is get along very well with him, another thing that makes Jiyong getting more envious of him.

"Why did you looking at me like that?" Taeyang asks, looking back at Jiyong, he can sensed something wrong but trying not to bring it up since he must not like the idea talking in front to many people like he did.

"What? L like what?" He nervously answered.

He chuckled at his attitude. "Forget it, lets just start your tutorial." He said, taking out some books inside his bag and put it on the bed before he himself set beside Jiyong. "The math is a bit hard today." He continued.

"I hate math." Chaerin said suddenly change his expression in disgust.

Jiyong looking at the girl with the same face. "Me too."

"What is this conspiracy?" He said jokingly, faking defeated face and the two of them laugh, leaving Taeyang looking at them alone.

They finally start the tutorial while Seunghyun decides to just sit on the sofa and watching them,  especially Taeyang who is very good at hiding his real emotion in front of his friends. Oh yeah he is happy for him, now he had 2 friend to acompany him and Seunghyun don't mind it just to taking care one more since he somehow look so happy despite what happen before he came there.

In the first 5 minutes they; Jiyong and Chaerin who is getting punishment because of her remark on hating math, still looks interesting but another 5 minutes pass by looks dying. Jiyong is still listening to Taeyang because well he did it every day and night to him with no tv or phone, leave him no choice but to paying attention at him but today there is Chaerin and her expression is just so interesting to watch, that is why he can't really paying attention.

Taeyang however noticed it and flick his forehead because being Taeyang he didn't like people to not paying attention.

"What is that for?" He protested, rubbing his forehead gently while looking at Taeyang murderously.

He just sticks his togue out at him.

Chaerin just watching them. "Oppa you know, you two look so cute." she said laughing at both of the boy.

Both turning to the girl, makes the girl flustered red at the situation. She try to look elsewhere but to her fortune she ends up looking straight into Jiyong's eyes and that is just makes her gets redden from time to time.

Not a very different from the girl, Jiyong is just as red as her and being observant Taeyang is, he noticed it. He frowned, looking at the both of them try to avoiding each others eyes, what are they doing? He thought to himself. "Is something happen between you two?" He asked looking at Seunghyun who just smilling triumphantly, watching him for once looks so confortable around other person.

Looking up to Taeyang, he eyed him once again before smiling at him. "I don't know why but they lock the door before." He said not caring about the other two looking at him in shock, and just adding more color onto their already red face.

"Why?" Taeyang looking at Jiyong who is as red as tomatoes; he looks so innocent that Jiyong didn't know he really asking for explaination or he just teasing at him. "You didn't want people to came in except the both of.. oh~ did you want us to leave now Ji?" He continued but put a poker face as soon as realization hit him hard and right, getting up from the bed and heads to Seunghyun's side.

"What? W why?" Jiyong looking at him demanding an explaination but he just got a wink from Taeyang and that just make him gone carzy, why? What is that for?

"Its not like what you think oppa.. i uh we.. we uh he..ehh." Now its Chaerin's turn, she gets up out of the bed and standing awkwardly at the other end od the bed, looking at Taeyang trying to compose what she trying to say but failing at the sign of his teasing look.

"Like what did you think i think?" Taeyang said looking at Chaerin who just got her face gotten more red. He turned at Seunghyun, by now Seunghyun know he didn't just teasing on hus friends but to give them time alone, both Jiyong with Chaerin and Seunghyun with him. "Dad, do you hungry?" He asks.

"I know a good place near, should we go?" Seunghyun replied as soon as natural it is to be.

"Yeah lets go, we'll be back with takes out." Taeyang said while walking to the door with Seunghyun following him behind, leaving just Jiyong and Chaerin with their super awkward face alone in the room, watching their back till the very end it was gone behind the door.

He turned to Chaerin, so do Chaerin and their eyes meets again. Looking at each other for a second.

They already said didn't want to talk about that again but still the scene is playing so fresh and clear on their own mind just because Taeyang asking something happen between them seeing their face became so red after seeing each other. Indeen something happen but it wasn't why in the first place he was blushing before it was something else. 

And they looked away.