Chapter II

Unlikely Messenger from the Future

“For god sake, wake up!” It was already eleven in the morning, and Jongin could not belief that he was already having to act like a parent – the thought of which terrified the hell out of him – because of Joonmyun. Who would not wake up! “Joonmyun, get your out of bed. Breakfast is ready and it’s getting cold and I want my ing pancakes!”

Joonmyun’s eyes fluttered open, way to softly as to the situation, and he stared up at Jongin, letting out a slight chuckle at how angry the other looked.

He hadn’t had Jongin wake him up in the morning since he was much younger.

And this was bringing back hilarious memories because no matter how old or young Jongin may be, he had no patience whatsoever when it came to other people sleeping in the morning. That would be the consequence of being such a morning person. Which Joonmyun, of course, wasn’t. He’d rather sleep until afternoon and stay up all night doing whatever he could that was the opposite of sleep, but Jongin wasn’t, he was a morning bird, and that brought conflict.

Especially because Joonmyun loved making Jongin mad in the morning by pretending to sleep no matter what the other did. The only time that came to bite him in the was when he was sixteen and well, Jongin had finally had enough and used magic to wake him up.

It was a lot worse than having a bucket of water thrown over you in a dream-like state. Or even sleeping through a house fire. Let’s just say, Joonmyun always woke up the first time after that incident.

Why it took Jongin sixteen years to finally crack, Joonmyun had no idea but he admired the resolve.

“Okay, okay dad.”

As the d word slipped through his lips, Jongin rolled his eyes and tried not to let the other see him smile. He was supposed to be angry. Kicking the bed slightly, he glared at Joonmyun before moving out of the spare bedroom he had given the other to sleep in and walking down to the kitchen. As he sat down, he began eating his breakfast and sighed a little.

Joonmyun had now been here for over a week and not much progress has been made on his problem. What had mostly happened is Joonmyun impressed Jongin by demonstrating all the magic he could do.

If it was anyone else, Jongin would’ve been completely jealous at how much more progressed the boy was in magic, but the fact that it was his son and ‘apparently’ that he learned all his magic from his doting father, Jongin was simply extremely proud that it was his own son that could do such amazing things.

Of course, mostly Jongin was avoiding having to talk to his ex-boyfriend Oh Sehun, so he constantly asked Joonmyun to show him things, instead of talking.

And it was working.

At least, he hoped it was. And he hoped that the ‘Oh Sehun’ conversation wouldn’t come up for a while. Because Jongin couldn’t deal with it at the moment. But in the back of his head, he knew that time was running out for both of them. And that the conversation was going to have to come up sooner or later again, and Jongin had a feeling it was going to be a lot sooner than he wanted.

Joonmyun appeared in the kitchen all of a sudden – out of thin air – clothes changed for the day ahead. That was one of the tricks Jongin had begged his future son to show him, because, well, teleportation would make things so much easier.

But Joonmyun had decided to keep it to himself, no matter what Jongin said to him. The boy sat opposite Jongin and smiled as he smelt the pancakes immediately.

“Yummy.”

Jongin just smiled, focusing on his own breakfast and coffee. The other boy began eating immediately, shoving the food into his mouth as if he hadn’t eaten for days. At least his cooking was appreciated. As both men finished their delicious breakfast, Jongin was going to get ready to clean up but was unfortunately stopped by the other, who held onto his wrist and kept him on the seat. Joonmyun had an almost serious expression on his face which meant that he wanted to have the conversation again, that’s all that it could be.

Nodding his head at the boy, Jongin leaned back on his seat and waited for the other to say his piece again.

“Jongin, you need to track down Sehun.” Joonmyun said, staring the other directly in the eyes to try and plead with him. “It’s already been a week, and I know I said it could be this month or next month, but there’s not much time left in this month, and you don’t even know where he is yet.”

“I-I know it’s just… it’s so difficult.” Jongin complained, running his hands through his hair in frustration. “You sure you don’t want a different father?”

Joonmyun chuckled but he shook his head.

“I’d love to say yes to that question but, it needs to be Sehun. No matter how much of an he is, he’s still my dad. And you sort of need him to conceive me. Sorry dad.” The boy said, stifling a laugh as Jongin’s expression dropped immediately at the answer he didn’t want. With a loud sigh – rather dramatic – Jongin pursed his lips like a child and nodded his head slowly, but surely. “Does that mean you’ll look for him today?” Another stifled nod. “Great!”

That was way too cheery a reply. But Jongin supposed that Joonmyun was just happy that there was a bigger chance of his existence now. Time to be selfish for his child’s sake, not his own.

No matter how much he wanted to flee.

“Okay, I guess we should start looking for him then.” Said with a wearily voice, Jongin stood up and turned to Joonmyun with a fake smile. “I’ll go get changed then we can go to the last place I saw him.”

Joonmyun watched the other leave the kitchen. He knew how hard it was for the other but this shouldn’t have had to happen. What he had been told was that both of his parents were together for a longer time than a few years, they raised him together – well, for most of his childhood – so this was strange. But it had to be done.

As he waited for the other to finish getting ready for the day ahead, Joonmyun decided to walk around the house a little – something that he hadn’t had time to do yet.

It was a lot different than what he was expecting.

In his experience, his dad always had exquisite and expensive taste. So to see him living in an apartment that wasn’t completely amazing. The apartment was great, but it was small. Definitely small.

Moving into the living room, he smiled at the pictures that seemed to be hanging across the wall.

It was just Jongin and his friends.

Some he had heard of – hell, some he knew from the future. The one that caught his eye the most was one with Jongin placed in-between another two boys his age, looking incredibly happy and carefree. It caught his attention because he recognised the other two boys as Baekhyun and Chanyeol – his rightful uncles in the future. It’s nice to know how long they were friends for.

“What are you looking at?” A voice interrupted him and made Joonmyun flinch a little out of surprise. With a nervous laugh, he turned around and faced Jongin, shrugging his shoulders to wave off the question. “You ready?”

“Let’s go!”

They both left the house and Jongin locked up. Joonmyun looked around the neighbourhood with a cat’s curiosity, it was incredible to be able to truly investigate a different time. Where the people different? The vehicles? The shops? Joonmyun was probably way too excited about it.

As he did look around everywhere with a large smile on his rose lips, Jongin just stared at him, wondering what was going on his head. But he didn’t ask.

There were way too many bad thoughts running through his head to do so.

The first nervous thought that ran through his head was the location in which he was bringing Joonmyun. It was where he and Sehun had broken up and it was the place where he had last seen the demon. When he was in the relationship with Sehun, he was a lot more public about his potential for witchcraft, which led Sehun to introduce him to a club where demons and witches alike could hang out without a care in the world.

The only problem was… it was extremely dangerous. But they had to start somewhere, and he was almost one hundred percent positive that Sehun still went there occasionally, and that was currently the only lead they had.

Jongin no longer had the boy’s phone number, didn’t know where he lived, or kept in contact with any friends he knew through him.

The break up was one Jongin wanted to forget completely.

And anything associated with Oh Sehun was venomous and made Jongin want to throw up. But now, he had to forget the promise he made with himself and help Joonmyun, it was the right thing to do. But that didn’t mean that his stomach wasn’t currently doing flips and his head didn’t start to become painful when they stood in front of the club that he hadn’t stepped a foot in since he broke up with his ex-boyfriend.

“What is this place?” Joonmyun asked, looking around and noticing something a little off with the club. Even in the daylight. There was something abnormal with the space around it, but he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. “Jongin?” He repeated.

Jongin shook his head and realised that Joonmyun was talking to him. The other repeated the question and Jongin sighed.

“It’s a club for witches and demons.” He explained. “That’s why you sense something weird, there’s a barrier around the whole place that only lets in supernatural beings. It’s sort of a safe haven. When I say ‘safe’ I don’t actually mean safe. It just means that no normal beings can come in and expose everyone.” After the explanation, Joonmyun just nodded along. “This was where I dumped Sehun. He might still visit. We can talk to the bartender.”

Jongin moved forward first, passing through the barrier – forgetting how nauseous you feel after you do it – and waited until Joonmyun done the same. Opening the door, he looked around and sighed.

Of course it was packed – why wouldn’t it be.

Some of these people didn’t leave. Making sure Joonmyun was super close to him, he moved over to the bar and ignored the stares he was getting from other customers.

“Well, well, well. Kim Jongin. Who would’ve thought you’d visit us again?”

It was a rather chipper and soft voice, and Jongin sighed. Of course this guy would still be the bartender even after all these months. How he survived having to serve people like this he would never know. Jongin did ask him about it once, but he didn’t really receive a proper answer back. Apparently he’s just sadistic.

Joonmyun stayed beside Jongin and just looked around, letting the other handle the conversation as he didn’t want to make it even more complicated.

“Hello Xiumin, how are you?” Pleasantries were the last thing Jongin wanted to give to anyone in this club, but if he was here for information, there was no way that he could be picky about his conversations. Xiumin chuckled before ignoring a customer at the other side of the bar to go over and stand directly in front of Jongin, waiting silently, as if he had a feeling Jongin wasn’t here to drink. “Xiumin, I need to know where he is.”

“Well that’s the last thing on my list of things I’d ever hear.” The bartender said, looking extremely surprised at the words leaving Jongin’s mouth.

“Please just tell me, I don’t want to be here any longer than I have to be.”

Xiumin chuckled at the other’s brutal honestly, but he expected nothing less from Kim Jongin. Leaning forward, he smiled sweetly before speaking again.

“Then order a drink. And we can talk privately.”

“…Fine.”

Jongin ordered a drink and looked around, spotting an empty table and telling Xiumin to bring it over to him. As he sat down, he looked up and noticed that Joonmyun was actually gone. He looked around, wondering where he could’ve gone, but before he got another thought in, Xiumin appeared quick as a flash with two drinks in his hands, placing them down before sitting opposite him.

Noticing that the other was looking for someone, Xiumin just had to ask him about it, considering that he didn’t think Jongin would ever bring someone else with him to this place again.

“Who are you looking for Jongin?” He asked, tilting his head to the side a little as he sipped his cocktail.

“My friend. He was right beside me but, I don’t know where he went.” He knew that the boy could handle himself in a bad situation, but he had a bad feeling in his chest, perhaps it was the father thing. “He’ll be fine.” Jongin said it as if he was trying to convince himself of it. Looking to Xiumin, he asked the previous question again. “Where is he, Xiumin?”

The bartender continued to sip his drink as he thought about what Jongin was asking him. Tapping his fingers on the table, Xiumin leaned forward and smiled at the boy across from him.

“The last time I saw him was three weeks ago.” After speaking, Jongin sighed, he was hoping for a more recent visit. Xiumin shook his head and spoke again. “That’s unusual for him though. Even after you devastated him by dumping his sorry , he came every week here for a drink.”

“So… he’s missing? Have you even tried to check on him though?” Jongin asked, already knowing the answer.

“No. I don’t like the dude.” Xiumin answered brutally honestly.

“Right.” Jongin sighed and put his hands in his head. “Do you at least know where he lives?”

“Nope.”

“Great.”

Jongin glared at Xiumin who was still acting way too cheerful for this situation. Knowing that he wasn’t going to get any helpful information out of this man, his thoughts went back to Joonmyun who still hadn’t emerged. Standing up, he bowed his head politely to Xiumin who returned the favour, and began looking around for the future boy. He had just hoped Joonmyun hadn’t gotten himself into any trouble.

Moving through the crowd – seriously, it was only the afternoon, this many people shouldn’t be at a club already – he noticed a familiar head of blonde hair, at the other side of the bar, talking to the other bartender. Sighing in relief that the other wasn’t in some alleyway fighting some kind of demon, he moved over to the boy and stood beside him, folding his arms and tapping his foot impatiently.

Both the boy and the bartender whisked their heads around to Jongin, with Joonmyun’s eyes widening a little at the expression on the other’s face. Smiling sheepishly, he pointed to the bartender and tried to start to explain himself.

“I was just talking to Yixing here – who is another witch actually – and he actually gave me some good information!” You could tell he was trying hard to ease the situation.

But the tapping foot of Kim Jongin did not cease.

The other bartender, chuckled at the way the two seemed with each other before moving along to another customer, waving goodbye to Joonmyun as he did so, leaving them alone. Glancing at Jongin, Joonmyun decided to just give the other the information he found out, instead of waiting to get into trouble for leaving Jongin and not telling him where he was going.

“So… apparently Sehun hasn’t been here for around three weeks. But Yixing did say he saw him a few days ago going into some weird mansion house thing. And…” Joonmyun grinned, “…he gave me the address too.”

Jongin stopped the tapping of the foot and unfolded his arms. Even though he was annoyed the other ran away without saying something, he got more than he did.

And at least this way they had a lead.

But a weird mansion? Did they really just want to head into a weird place unaware of what was going to be in there, or who was going to be in there? Apparently so, because soon enough, Jongin found himself standing outside the creepiest mansion he had ever seen in his life. Glancing at Joonmyun in disbelief, the other didn’t seem particularly bothered.

In fact, he even went as far as to step up to the giant front doors, that had an old-fashioned knocker.

“Come on Jongin! This is the only lead we need, so, let’s knock!” The boy was way too chipper for his own good. Jongin obviously followed him, not feeling good enough to leave the boy by himself in front of a house like that. Joonmyun knocked on the door and both of them waited rather impatiently. “Think anyone’s home?”

“Well we’ll soon find out.” Jongin whispered, not raising his voice. A minute passed before there was any sort of movement.

The door handle began to turn, and a man appeared in front of them.

A man with the most ecstatic red eyes you’ve ever seen. And Jongin knew that the situation just amplified to scary means, because this was most definitely a demon. And because Sehun is a demon, he could only imagine that they were only going to find more demons if they were to continue on with their ‘quest’. Joonmyun turned to the other and nudged him, making Jongin speak.

“Um… hi.”

Well done Jongin. Top marks.

Joonmyun rolled his eyes at the others comment, before staring at the man in front of them, who suddenly smirked at the both of them. Surprisingly, he immediately stepped aside as if to offer them to enter the house. Jongin was about to decline, but before he could, Joonmyun grabbed his wrist and pulled him inside.

Inside was at least a lot nicer than the outside of the place, but Jongin couldn’t misplace that bad feeling he had in his stomach.

The man shut the door and turned to the both of them.

“So what can I help you two boys with?” His voice was incredibly seductive and sweet, as he approached both of them, smiling with ease. The eyes ruined the image though, they showed his true form.

“We’re looking for Oh Sehun.” Joonmyun blurted out, knowing that Jongin wouldn’t.

“Oh? What for?” The man asked, curiously.

“Private business.” He explained, trying as hard as he could to be as manipulative as possible, to stop himself from having to explain to the man who Jongin was. If he didn’t already know that is. “So, is he here?”

“Yes, but, he’s with someone right now.” Both Jongin and Joonmyun let out the same sounding sigh as they heard that. But the man was quick to speak once again. “I will happily entertain you both as you wait, he shan’t be long.” Without waiting for an answer, the strange demon walked in front of them, beckoning them to follow with a curl of his index finger.

They followed, but Jongin looked at Joonmyun with worrying eyes. There was no way this situation was going to end well. Not with demons.

Never with demons.

The man led them to an empty room with couches and chairs. Offering them a seat, both of them sat down on a couch and refused any refreshments offered to them as well. They didn’t think accepting a drink from a demon was a good thing. Sitting down, the man looked between them before chuckling.

“Can I ask what you want with someone like Sehun?” He wondered, crossing his legs and staring at them both. The red eyes were piercing.

“…Just to talk…” Jongin whispered, hating himself for being scared.

“About?”

“It’s private.”

“Well, can I at least both of your names then?” The demon asked, smirking at the both of them as if he was having a great and entertaining time. It was a lot to ask, but they had to please the other at some point, if they wanted to stay, at least, peacefully.

“I’m Kim Joonmyun and this is Kim Jongin.”

As the last name left his lips, the demon across from him stood up immediately, his eyes lit even more than before, and the smile on his lips dangerously evil. Without a single second passing, the demon was gone, and the two of them were left alone. This was not good. Joonmyun turned to Jongin and bit his lip nervously.

“I guess… he knows you?”

“I guess he does…”

“This is not good, is it?” Joonmyun asked, and Jongin immediately shook his head.

“Definitely not.”


A/N: Chapter 2 for you all! Hope you're enjoying it so far! Gives a comment if you liked it <3