one.

Politics for Dummies

3/13/16 (31 days till elections)

"For 's sake Mira, can we please get the numbers in?"

"Calm down Jongin! If you're so worried, go ring those idiots up yourself."

The bickering between the two managers of the #KimJunmyeon4Assembly Campaign could be heard from a mile away. It was another busy day at the office as D-Day drew nearer, and the stress was really starting to get to the both of them.

Kim Junmyeon. The most influential assemblyman in modern day Korea. He was young, charming, charismatic, handsome, and every speck of him screamed "Future President". He'd already served Seoul in the assembly for a term, and was looking for reelection this time around... and since he was the best, he'd hired the best. Kim Jongin and Choi Mira. One was as experienced as he was handsome, the other was as purely talented as she was dominating, and both were undoubtedly perfect. The former had graduated from Yonsei University with a degree in law, girls on each arm, and a killer stare. The latter was an alumni of Seoul University, majoring in political science, and had captained the prestigious schools' debate team for three of four years as an undergraduate.

And so it happened, at exactly 1:32 p.m., just 28 minutes away from Junmyeon's address to a crowd of thousands of prospective voters, Jongin and Mira were going at each other with the patience of a sensitive lady on her period.

"If we don't have the numbers in...-" Jongin started, and was graciously cut off by Mira.

" the numbers, Jongin. Junmyeon's just going to have to start his speech without them," she hissed, as she threw off her heels and opted to run around barefoot instead. They were killing her and really screwing up her work efficiency. "Just the get the damn teleprompter set up and his speech ready."

Ideally, neither of them would be doing this work, they'd have yelled at some unsuspecting intern to do it for them. But when one of the most crucial speeches was on the line and due in a little under half an hour, they both trusted no one but themselves. If Junmyeon was going to address a crowd, he was going to do it impeccably. 

The two were interrupted by the man himself, who had walked in dressed smartly in an expensive black suit, a blue tie, and the emblem of the Republic of Korea pinned on his lapel. One look, and he knew what was going on.

"Don't worry my friends," the man started with the elegance of the persuasive politician, "everything will be alright. I've got the spech memorized and we can scrap the numbers, no big deal."

Mira peered at him scathingly. 

"I hate it when you try to act the appeasing one with us," she responded brusquely as they continued to compile the various folders. Junmyeon smiled.

"Well, you're the only one."

--

Junmyeon's palms were slightly sweaty as he in the wings, ready to take the stage to a crowd of thousands. He'd done this countless times and yet... and yet it still terrified him the slightest. But Kim Junmyeon didn't make mistakes... at least in public anyways.

A hand rested on his shoulder as he glanced to the right and his eyes found Miyoung, his wife standing next to him with a reassuring gaze. She was beautiful really... the epitome of the proper upper class lady, with a charming smile that sold well to the citizens. The upstanding character of a politician's capable wife. Pity her beauty was being wasted on his arm... she deserved better.

"You'll be fine," Miyoung nudged him gently as the stage manager signaled "twenty seconds" to him. Junmyeon didn't quite believe her... after all, she was a politican's wife. She learned to tell her share of white lies.

"If I faint, don't call the ambulance, it'll cost us a fortune," he smirked a little as his wife laughed. Miyoung was right. He'd be fine.

Ten seconds.

He could faintly hear the roar of the crowd and the sound of whistles... and Junmyeon began settling into his skin. They were all right. He was Kim Junmyeon. Every Korean's favorite assemblyman. He had nothing to fear but fear itself.

He caught the eyes of his two capable campaign managers as he took his first step up into the spotlight. They looked on at him with confidence. And he had no doubt that he wouldn't fail them.

--

"Mr. Park," the secretary's voice rang out at him. Chanyeol frowned as he took a sip of his Romanée-Conti. He had half a mind to just fire her... if not for the number of years she'd served him. Frankly, she was interrupting the stimulating live television broadcast he was watching.

"Not now," he responded, somewhat crossly, his deep booming voice carrying across the room. His secretary nodded meekly and retreated out of the office. Chanyeol's attention went back to the broadcast and the amazing wine.

"... and we will build an even stronger future for South Korea. Because I can promise that when you cast your vote to reelect me, I will bring even better results than my last term. Together, we can win. Together, we can claim victory. Together, we can pave the road for our kids and grandkids. I stand here today, as a man of my word, with the utmost respect for moral integrity and virtuous actions, something you do not find often now in our political sphere. But I will always be your assemblyman, my friends, so trust in me a second time to bring us farther down the road of prosperity we have already started on. Kim Junmyeon now. Kim Junmyeon forever. Thank you."

The crowd roared with approval and applause as the man who had just addressed them smiled with ease. Miles away, in his cushy office, Park Chanyeol smirked.

What had Kim Junmyeon said? Utmost respect for moral integrity and virtuous actions? 

Bull.

There was no such thing as a virtuous politician in Park Chanyeol's world. He would make sure of that.