One

Surprise Party


I was in the middle of writing a new song for my team when somebody knocked my door. I lazily dragged my feet with my pen still in my hand. I turned the knob and opened the door to see who it was. It was Sulli, one of my friends. Why did she come at this hour? And why did she look tired? I mean, she looked like she was running away from a ghost.

As I opened the door, she suddenly held my hand and said, "Amber, the girls! You should go now!" 

"What now?!" I let out a deep sigh before stepping out of my room and went down to see what was happening.

It was raining cats and dogs outside of our dorms. And I saw students were shouting and talking about the scene that was happening. I pushed aside a few students to get a clearer view. Then I saw Ailee, one of my team members, was quarrelling with Krystal, my roommate. Again. And the worst was, they were under the rain. 

Without any hesitation, I ran into the rain and stood between them. I held up my hands signalling them to stop whatever they were doing.

"STOP IT!"
"Please... Not again, Krys.." I turned to Krystal who was looking so angry at me right now.

"But Amber -" Ailee was cut by my words.

"Please Ailee. I need you to go inside. I'll talk to you later." I pleaded.

Then she slowly nodded her head and walked inside.

"Please everybody.. Show's over. Please go back to your room." I said in the middle of the rain. My clothes were already soaked. Water was dripping from my hair.
I turned my back and was about to hold Krystal's hand but to my surprise, she had already left me behind. I let out a deep sigh before following her behind. 

We went into our room and she made me feel like I was talking to a wall when I asked her what's wrong. She then left me alone and went to the bathroom. So I took the chance to go to Ailee's room and check on her. 
Ailee saw my condition and let me used her bathroom first. And she told me the full story.

"I'm sorry Ailee.. I'll talk to her after this." I said to her. She just nodded at me and gave a faint smile.

I was wrong when I thought Krystal might still in the bathroom since she always took an hour in it. As I went back to our room, I saw her already in the bed with her back facing me. I knew she wasn't asleep yet, so I decided to talk to her. I sat on the edge of the bed with my back facing her's.

"I know you're not sleeping, Krys." I stated.

No response from her.

"I know you're mad at me because I always left you alone in this room. I was always busy in the studio that sometimes I overslept there." I stop for a while.

"And... I know that,,, t-that you're mad at me because I always spent my time in Ailee's room."

Still, no response.

"But you know the reason, right? It's for work... I'm sorry, Krys.."

I slowly turned to her and stared at her for a while. I let out a sigh as I finally understood that she didn't want to talk to me.
I stood up and switch off the light, ready to sleep.
I laid my back beside her. Yes, we slept in the one bed, it's a queen sized bed. 
As I was about to close my eyes, I heard her mumbled,
"Why didn't you go sleep with her?"

"Please Krys.. I already said sorry..."

"Two weeks, Amber. Two weeks. You left me behind for freaking two weeks. Maybe I could understand if it's just two or three days. But,,, two weeks?" 

I just closed my eyes and listened to her. 
"It's for our final project, Krystal.. We need to do the best.." I said.

The next thing I heard was a sarcastic laugh from her. "Final project... It's not the reason for you not to come back or even talk to me when we passed by!"

I didn't know what should I say anymore, so I just shut my mouth up and listened to what she's going to say next. 

"Forget it, Amber. Just,, just do whatever you want." She then moved farther from me.

I cursed at myself inside of me. I shouldn't do that to her. And my plan not to let her know what I was doing all this time was the worst thing I've ever done in my life. I didn't want her to know what I was writing and composing. That's why I always spent my time in the recording studio and sometimes I slept in Ailee's room. 

The night continued to be like that. And I thought Krystal would be fine after she figured out what I was doing for her all this time. Tomorrow was going to be her 19th birthday, and yes, we were going to throw a surprise party for her.