Chapter 8

Our Efllorescence Relationships

 

Chapter 8

Recaps

Looking up, I was shocked to find Seungcheol leaning against the wall across from the elevator. “Seungcheol… What are you doing here?”

“What does it look like?” He asked, pushing away from the wall, he walked towards me with a hard glint in his eyes. “You never said anything. Never called, never emailed, nor did you write.” Taking my hand, he laced our fingers together, holding it tightly as he pressed the down button for the elevator vigorously. “You left us, left ME spinning for months.”

“What are you even---” “You just left.” He didn’t let me finish my question, cutting me off as he tugged at my hand, signalling for me to follow him back on the elevator.

Not wanting to go down the road of that particular topic, I diverged onto something more safe. “Where are you taking me?”

“We need to talk.” Was all he said as he pressed the button for the lobby before stepping back from the panels, standing beside me, he continued to keep my hand hostage.

No matter what, Seungcheol is still as dramatic as ever. “We can talk in my room, why are we heading down to the lobby?”

He didn't answer my question for a long time, tightening his grip on my hand instead. “I'd rather not say.” He finally said after some time, by then we already arrived at the lobby.

Truthfully, I didn't need him to say anything, with the way he hesitated when answering my question, I knew exactly why he didn't want to step foot back into that room. “It’s just Seungcheol, we’re all adults here.”

“You would feel the same if it's the other way around.” He simply said as he continued leading me out of the hotel. Those words penetrated deep in my heart, it seems I'm the one who's not grown yet.

Muttering a quiet apology, I quietly followed him, taking the chance to feel the warmth of his hand against my own instead, it's been a long time, and I miss it. He didn't acknowledge my apology in words, only squeezing my hand tightly for a brief moment before loosening it to a somewhat comfortable grip.

We walked silently, Seungcheol continued leading me deep into  the center of Gangnam, stopping briefly in front of a large multi level building that's bigger than my hotel. He looked as if he was trying to make a decision for a second, before making up his mind, and pulling me into the building.

We were greeted as we entered the building, Seungcheol only smile and nodding to the security and front desk person in return as he passed by.

Breaking the silence, “Is this where you live?” I ask as we waited for the elevator.

“Yeah,” Hearing him confirm, I grew tense. Not wanting him to take notice of my disposition, I pulled my hand out of his grip. Only he didn't let it go, tightening his grip instead. The elevator arrived then, and he pulled me in, pressing the number 50, Seungcheol didn't speak until the elevator door closed. “I know what you're thinking, but I've never bought a girl back to my place, not even Jin or Sumin. We always meet outside or at the other guys home.”

“I wasn't thinking that,” I quickly said, pride bruised by his words. “My hand’s just sweaty.” It was lame, I know that, but that was all I could think of at that moment.

Seungcheol started laughing, apparently amused by my response. “For someone so stubborn, you're an awful liar.” He had said, looking down at me with a bright smile on his face. It was the first real smile I saw from him since we were first years in high school, and it's making my stomach flip, and I swear he can hear my heart beating loud and clear. “I've never liked to tell someone ‘I told you so’, but I told you so.”

I got what he meant instantly, the scene from back at the hotel playing back in my head. “Shut up,” feeling my cheeks heat up, I turned away. “Don't be so mean, this is the first time we've spoken in 6 years.” The urge to pushed away my embarrassment, ignoring the warm blush on my face, I turned and looked up at him, grinning. “I'll definitely remember those who are mean to me.”

It was suppose to be a joke, but he didn't laugh, the smile on his face changed from that of amusement to a somewhat sad one instead. “Then I should be mean, then you'll at least think of me.”

“You don't have to be mean for me to think of you, Seungcheol. I always think about you.” The elevator opened then, and an elderly couple entered. Taking that moment to pull my hands away, I kept my eyes on the floor, afraid to look up.

Seungcheol didn’t try to grab my hand again, instead, he scoots closer to me, the back of his hand brushing mine as he smile at the two elders. It felt like hours instead of mere seconds before the elevator stopped on the 50th floor. Excusing ourselves, I followed Seungcheol out of the elevator, and down the hall.

Unlocking his door, Seungcheol held it wide open, signalling for me to go in first, he followed in after, flicking on the light. Looking around, I was amazed by how bright and clean his home is, much cleaner than my little apartment for sure. The thought of it made me feel a tiny bit shameful, but then again, Seungcheol have always been tidy compare to other guys.

Standing awkwardly in the living room once I took off my shoes, I didn’t know what to do. Should I sit, or stay standing? Seungcheol didn’t say anything, walking straight down the little hallway towards what is probably his bedroom.

Not knowing what to do, I just stood by the couch, and look around the place. I wasn’t surprised to find his wall filled with photos, all featuring either his family or friends. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of the collage that surround his tv; one particular photo however, caught my attention, filling me instantly with nostalgia. Framed in a simple silver frame, is a photo of Seungcheol and I at the beach in our bathing suits. Captured in that image, was Seungcheol shooting water at me from this little water gun, and I was trying to shield his attack with a giraffe floaty.

If I remember correctly, we were around 13 years old in this photo, and it was our first trip together as a group to the beach during the summer of our first year in Junior high. I didn’t know how to swim at the time, and that day, the tides were very high for some reason. I didn’t dare go in too deep, staying closer to shore. Seungcheol immediately came up with a solution, running off to the store by the parking lot, he bought me a floaty along with that toy gun, The moment I took the floaty from him, Seungcheol pulled out his weapon and attacked. Sumin somehow snapped a photo at that very moment. The memories brought warmth to my chest, that day was so fun.

“Faye,” Turning away from the photos when I heard Seungcheol calling, I didn’t expect to see him standing by the couch in his pajamas, hair damped as he held a carefully stacked set of pajamas in his hand. “I left towels in the bathroom for you, go take a shower, then we’ll talk.”

Shaking my head, I decline his offer. “No it’s okay, I’ll take a shower when I get back to the hotel later. Let’s…” I paused, the nerves coming back full force, I really don’t want to speak with him about this. “Let’s talk.”

But Seungcheol is as stubborn as me, if not more, “No, it’s late, you’re staying with me tonight.”

I didn’t move to take the pajamas from him, shaking my head again. “Seungcheol, it’s best---”

“You owe me this much Faye, I think I deserve this much for you abandoning us out of the blue all those years ago.” He didn’t let me finish, cutting me off instead with those sharp words.

Giving into the guilt, I took the pajamas from him, and dumped my purse on the couch. “That’s low, Seungcheol-ah.”

“As long as it works,” He retorted, a smug smirk on his face. “I’ll have drinks ready when you’re done. Now go.”


 

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing well. You'll all get pretty sick of me apologizing for not updating enough, but I'll say it again. Sorry :[ As a third year pre-med student with a part time job, I can't write as much as before, but I swear I'll finish this story even if it kills me. So please be patient with me. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you all enjoy it.